Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm in th summmer pool now. I did the IB and got 40 points with a 7 in Maths (HL) and a 7 in Further Maths (SL). I also got a 2 and a U in STEP II and III, respectively. Do you think I actually have a realistic chance? How big are the chances of getting in through the summer pool or is it just a rejection only that I'll get the final decision a bit later?

Thanx

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly not a definite rejection. A friend of mine got a place through the summer pool. However, the odds aren't all that high I think... but best of luck, I'm rooting for you to get a place Which college has pooled you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andi)
    Hello,

I'm in th summmer pool now. I did the IB and got 40 points with a 7 in Maths (HL) and a 7 in Further Maths (SL). I also got a 2 and a U in STEP II and III, respectively. Do you think I actually have a realistic chance? How big are the chances of getting in through the summer pool or is it just a rejection only that I'll get the final decision a bit later?

Thanx
    Good luck!! Hope you get in....must be horrible to be in limbo like this.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Which college has pooled you?
    St John's.
    I just don't think I have the slightest chance.

ReputationRep:
    you stand a chance. if you're in the pool then there's always a chance. i wa in the winter pool and thought i didn't stand a chance and, well, here I am; they were merciful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andi)
    Hello,

Thanx
    All these pools... I bet you didn't even apply to Girton with a real pool!

ReputationRep:
    but emma has the better real pool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    But....i don't swim....so a pool is pointless!!

I think i won that one!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)

isn't that the really old one (oldest outdoor pool in britain or something like that). It looked REALLY grimy.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    isn't that the really old one (oldest outdoor pool in britain or something like that). It looked REALLY grimy.

MB
    yeah it really didnt look appealing when i saw it, plus it'd be freezing

ReputationRep:
    dont they put everyone who missed their offer into the summer pool? (i'm in it, i think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    dont they put everyone who missed their offer into the summer pool? (i'm in it, i think)
    I don't know if it's everyone. Did you call up the college yet?? Or have you received a letter from them?? They'd probably give details in that

Good luck

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I don't know if it's everyone. Did you call up the college yet?? Or have you received a letter from them?? They'd probably give details in that

Good luck

G

i rang them up yesterday, they said they have passed my results on and they will give me a decision on saturday(tomorrow), they will ring me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andi)
    Hello,

Thanx
    Your maths results will potentially put you in good stead - few IB applicants have a 7 at Further Maths. However, your points are lower than those of most people at Camrbidge (all I have met have 42 +, but in this I speak only for my college), so it is really difficult to say. Ultimately a lot will depend upon which admissions tutors view your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andi)
    Hello,

Thanx

andi, when did they say you will find out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    andi, when did they say you will find out?
    Monday they said. Another chance might be to get my STEP II remarked. I missed the offer by 2 marks (I needed to get one grade 1)

I'm not converned about the IB only about STEP.
    Do the people at cam actually took closely at IB? Do they know the syllabus because I'm not sure whether they know what I did in IB Further Maths. To be honest I was surprised that they gave me STEP III. I hoped for STEP I. I guess then I would have certainly met my offer. Anyway, I can't change it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andi)
    I'm not converned about the IB only about STEP.
    Do the people at cam actually took closely at IB? Do they know the syllabus because I'm not sure whether they know what I did in IB Further Maths. To be honest I was surprised that they gave me STEP III. I hoped for STEP I. I guess then I would have certainly met my offer. Anyway, I can't change it now.
    It depends a lot on the college - a 44 or 45 would mean a lot to Dr Wingfield (my tutor, who also happens to be the admissions tutor for Trinity). But it is really difficult to say, as there is no real level of consistancy around Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    If you're put in the summer pool does the university tell you. Ive just been offered a place which Im really excited about but no one at Cambridge said I was in the pool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RustyRosie)
    If you're put in the summer pool does the university tell you. Ive just been offered a place which Im really excited about but no one at Cambridge said I was in the pool.
    Well done!! Wouldn't worry about whether you were in the pool or not if you've got a place Where are you off to?

ReputationRep:
    Fitzwilliam

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.