Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to look into border force jobs recently but I cant find anywhere that describes what the grade requirements are. i'm going to pick my a-levels soon and i'm not sure if any maths or sciences are needed although I do know languages, especially English will be useful

does anyone have good links or advice?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by filmaker)
    I've been trying to look into border force jobs recently but I cant find anywhere that describes what the grade requirements are. i'm going to pick my a-levels soon and i'm not sure if any maths or sciences are needed although I do know languages, especially English will be useful

does anyone have good links or advice?
    According to the National Career service, it is not a necessity to have any A-Levels or equivalent qualifications to apply for the border force officer role, however, it would help if you could understand or speak a foreign language. Are you currently studying any GCSE Foreign language subjects or are you fluent in a particular language? - as that may boost your application when you do eventually apply for this role.

This website should give you additional guidance as to what is required for this particular job role;
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...-force-officer

ReputationRep:
    That depends on which part immigration you do. Also for customs side you don't unless you go for the investigation department.

Then they would like you to, it shows you can pick things up.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got through to interview stage as I was told there are more exercises to do at interview stage, can anyone tell me what these exercises are like

ReputationRep:
    My Brother is a Border Force Officer and this is what he told me:

to search for the jobs go onto the Civil Service job website and select Home Office and Operational Delivery. To set up a job alert register your email and it will tell you when jobs are available. You MUST have a full UK driving Licence to be able to apply and usually a minimum or 5 A-C GCSE's or equivalent including One topic must be English Language or equivalent. You may also have to do a test online in English and Maths as part of the application process.

Application: It is based on core competencies you have to find their criteria online and select times in your life when you have preformed best in these key areas... keeping an eye on key words like "making effective decisions" Use the STAR method

Situation
    Task
    Actions
    Results

Interview
    You will be asked questions about your competencies as well as a little bit about yourself. Try and learn 2 situation for each competency. You are allowed to take notes into the interview.

Training:
    This will probably be the most intense training you will have ever done.. most people find it overwhelming to start off with but that can be what life is like dealing with situations on the border. You usually have to complete Immigration and Customs training to pass your probation period. Probation is usually 12-15 months long. Training is split up but takes 8 weeks in total. You exams are usually completed on a regular basis to ensure you have taken all information in. Once training is complete you are posted to your port where you will get mentored by an experienced officer for 2/3 weeks for each part of the training (customs and Immigration).

The job:
    No day is ever the same and every situation is different training is hard work but once you get through it, the things you will see and do will get your heart pumping and you will see all kinds of situations you would never see on a day to day basis. Be prepared to wear/ use handcuffs and Batons and undergo training similar to the police with arrest and detention.

This is all the information my bother is able to give I'm afraid but I hope it helps. <3 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgemsimp)
    My Brother is a Border Force Officer and this is what he told me:

to search for the jobs go onto the Civil Service job website and select Home Office and Operational Delivery. To set up a job alert register your email and it will tell you when jobs are available. You MUST have a full UK driving Licence to be able to apply and usually a minimum or 5 A-C GCSE's or equivalent including One topic must be English Language or equivalent. You may also have to do a test online in English and Maths as part of the application process.

Application: It is based on core competencies you have to find their criteria online and select times in your life when you have preformed best in these key areas... keeping an eye on key words like "making effective decisions" Use the STAR method

Situation
    Task
    Actions
    Results

Interview
    You will be asked questions about your competencies as well as a little bit about yourself. Try and learn 2 situation for each competency. You are allowed to take notes into the interview.

Training:
    This will probably be the most intense training you will have ever done.. most people find it overwhelming to start off with but that can be what life is like dealing with situations on the border. You usually have to complete Immigration and Customs training to pass your probation period. Probation is usually 12-15 months long. Training is split up but takes 8 weeks in total. You exams are usually completed on a regular basis to ensure you have taken all information in. Once training is complete you are posted to your port where you will get mentored by an experienced officer for 2/3 weeks for each part of the training (customs and Immigration).

The job:
    No day is ever the same and every situation is different training is hard work but once you get through it, the things you will see and do will get your heart pumping and you will see all kinds of situations you would never see on a day to day basis. Be prepared to wear/ use handcuffs and Batons and undergo training similar to the police with arrest and detention.

This is all the information my bother is able to give I'm afraid but I hope it helps. <3 x
    Hi thanks for this, however I have been border force officer before and know what the job entails, I just wanted to know did your brother ever do an exercise when he went for interview as it says will be other exercises involved even though I passed online test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcclorp)
    Hi thanks for this, however I have been border force officer before and know what the job entails, I just wanted to know did your brother ever do an exercise when he went for interview as it says will be other exercises involved even though I passed online test
    he said " No I did not have to do anything else other than an interview. But if you have been a Border Force Officer before and there is exercises then you should be fine. Just go in with an open mind. best of luck".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgemsimp)
    he said " No I did not have to do anything else other than an interview. But if you have been a Border Force Officer before and there is exercises then you should be fine. Just go in with an open mind. best of luck".
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd let you know that there is another BFO thread running too for people waiting to hear back from Heathrow and Gatwick:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...57422&page=312

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wowser17)
    Just thought I'd let you know that there is another BFO thread running too for people waiting to hear back from Heathrow and Gatwick:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...57422&page=312
    i heard back yesterday for heathrow interview on 21/06 and another exercise to complete 😩

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with mobile border force officer. How often do you get redeployed , days , months weeks ? Any examples ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljmarhs)
    Can anyone help with mobile border force officer. How often do you get redeployed , days , months weeks ? Any examples ?
    Where have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janice111)
    Where have you applied for?
    I’ve applied for hull airport as mobile border force officer

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview today. First one in 15yrs but i am employed already as a civil servant. Preped my competencies expecting one thing but got thrown a curve ball during the interview. 6-8 wk wait now

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to Gatwick and Bristol mobile team 10 jobs

ReputationRep:
    I recently had an interview for border force officer and forgot to ask when I’d hear back!!! Lol Could someone please tell me how quickly they heard if they were successful or not after interview? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misfits138)
    I recently had an interview for border force officer and forgot to ask when I’d hear back!!! Lol Could someone please tell me how quickly they heard if they were successful or not after interview? Thanks
    For the mobile role I was informed about a week after the interview that I would at least make the shortlist. Had a provisional offer about a month after the interview. Based on the responses in the other thread, the time to hear varies massively depending on the region.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. :-)
    (Original post by Jamsarnie)
    For the mobile role I was informed about a week after the interview that I would at least make the shortlist. Had a provisional offer about a month after the interview. Based on the responses in the other thread, the time to hear varies massively depending on the region.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, got an update today that i am on the reserve list for Border Force. Considering that the advert was for that anyway im quite pleased.

I did also say i was willing to be mobile but not sure if the reserve list covers that role too!

Now... given the other posts i have seen, security checks etc take ages so will they do that whilst im on the reserve list in preperation for a vacancy or will they offer a vacancy and THEN do all this which may delay the acceptance or take up of the offer?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody for Belfast?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.