The Student Room Group

nah but really what's the point in a degree

So I'm here studying a subject I don't really like, and I'm getting money to do it and then I'm getting drunk every now and again and then for what ? To get a job I probably won't even like doing ?

All just seems like a big waste of time

I'm confused
Original post by fefssdf
So I'm here studying a subject I don't really like, and I'm getting money to do it and then I'm getting drunk every now and again and then for what ? To get a job I probably won't even like doing ?

I'm confused

Fam I always see you post stress posts on TSR. You need to calm down and stop overthinking things, you will be fine!
Reply 2
There is no point to a degree if you do it without a point
Reply 3
to prolong the lack of true responsibility
Reply 4
don't do a degree then smh
A degree offers transferable skills employers are looking for, a lot of jobs now require 2.1 and above, it sets candidates apart, despite many people doing university degrees anyway. Plus there are several jobs you cannot do without a degree. If you don't enjoy university/your degree and question the reason as to why it is pointless then maybe you should think of alternative routes.
Self pity is the worst because you stop taking steps.

Taking steps is easy...

To seriously address your points

1. Don't study a degree you don't like. You learnt that the hard way, fine, is suspending your studies right now an option or are you forced to continue till the end of the first year? You've probably thought of the former and sssn that it's not an option, otherwise you have taken it.. which sucks.

2. From a students perspective it definitely seems gloomy and scary and a whole world of things but on my placement year I've seen and done jobs that are genuinely enjoyable.

3. You get skills and experiences, whether it's through your course but largely driven by what you get up to. Imagine putting down that you were the president of your SU... okay, that's an unrealistic goal for 99.9% of people but there are plenty of things inbetween. But I can relate to the opposite of this because admittedly I struggle socially just a tiny bit and lack interest or talent so this has been a limiter for me, and I guess this can be what makes uni the opposite of fun.
Reply 7
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
to prolong the lack of true responsibility

See this is one of the hints I do enjoy about it ; the fact that I can pretty much still carry on like a child and it's considered normal. The ultimate sense of freedom you get from living away from home it's also pretty amazing
Original post by fefssdf

I'm confused

E X I S T E N T I A L

C R I S I S

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Self pity is the worst because you stop taking steps.

Taking steps is easy...

To seriously address your points

1. Don't study a degree you don't like. You learnt that the hard way, fine, is suspending your studies right now an option or are you forced to continue till the end of the first year? You've probably thought of the former and sssn that it's not an option, otherwise you have taken it.. which sucks.

2. From a students perspective it definitely seems gloomy and scary and a whole world of things but on my placement year I've seen and done jobs that are genuinely enjoyable.

3. You get skills and experiences, whether it's through your course but largely driven by what you get up to. Imagine putting down that you were the president of your SU... okay, that's an unrealistic goal for 99.9% of people but there are plenty of things inbetween. But I can relate to the opposite of this because admittedly I struggle socially just a tiny bit and lack interest or talent so this has been a limiter for me, and I guess this can be what makes uni the opposite of fun.

Yes I am forced to stay till the end of the year cause otherwise I'd have to pay thousands for my accomdation so yeh and idk it's difficult really cause it's hard to be convinced that there is some job out there that I'll like when I have no idea what I want to do

Quick Reply

Latest