The Student Room Group

The graduate market is oversaturated. Even for Engineering

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pairofjeans
My only problem with stats like this is that engineering isn't a legally protected term in the UK as it is in other countries.

Agreed :smile: On the continent being an Ingénieur sounds like you are officially ingenious :wink:
a) Doubt it. No one completes a masters in engineering, then gets charted despite being good for nothing

b) You literally cannot get charted with just a degree and no experience. So this has to be a lie. You often need more 4 years under someone accredited. Not to mention a professional review (and sometimes an interview?)

My only problem with stats like this is that engineering isn't a legally protected term in the UK as it is in other countries. A job could list itself as (insert word here) engineer. Yet taking time to read the job description would tell you otherwise. I swear I've seen jobs listed as mechanical engineers when further investigation showed they literally meant car mechanics. In terms of this data, things like that have 1 advantage and 1 disadvantage for anyone looking at this hopeful of good news.

Advantage: Average engineer wages would appear be higher in reality than they are in that data. All those not really engineering roles would be bringing the reported wage down a bit.

Disadvantage: Employment would most likely be a slightly worse in real life than it shows in this data.

No idea if the people making this accounted for that though.

Completely agree with everything you have said.

When asked what I do for work and my reply is engineer, I've lost count the number of people who then said in the next line, do you fix cars? When I started out and said I was an electronics engineer, the response was usually, can you fix tellies? My mother even asked if I knew what I was doing when I took her radio apart to 'fix' it. (bless her departed cotton socks)

The word engineer is used for everything from 'sanitation engineers' (toilet cleaner) to 'customer support engineer' (call-centre help desk) to vehicle maintenance engineer (Kwik-Fit fitters).

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
a) Doubt it. No one completes a masters in engineering, then gets charted despite being good for nothing

b) You literally cannot get charted with just a degree and no experience. So this has to be a lie. You often need more 4 years under someone accredited. Not to mention a professional review (and sometimes an interview?)

My only problem with stats like this is that engineering isn't a legally protected term in the UK as it is in other countries. A job could list itself as (insert word here) engineer. Yet taking time to read the job description would tell you otherwise. I swear I've seen jobs listed as mechanical engineers when further investigation showed they literally meant car mechanics. In terms of this data, things like that have 1 advantage and 1 disadvantage for anyone looking at this hopeful of good news.

Advantage: Average engineer wages would appear be higher in reality than they are in that data. All those not really engineering roles would be bringing the reported wage down a bit.

Disadvantage: Employment would most likely be a slightly worse in real life than it shows in this data.

No idea if the people making this accounted for that though.

Civil engineering you have to talk in front of several senior engineers about certain parts of projects which they have queries with I believe. Also track skills which you've gained from experience.
Original post by Vikingninja
Civil engineering you have to talk in front of several senior engineers about certain parts of projects which they have queries with I believe. Also track skills which you've gained from experience.

Oh god I'm not looking forward to that one bit. I'd rather just have an exam like I think they do in the US. Hopefully by then I'll know what I'm doing.
Oh god I'm not looking forward to that one bit. I'd rather just have an exam like I think they do in the US. Hopefully by then I'll know what I'm doing.

I think you're more likely to be successful in achieving chartership if you have an interview rather than have to sit an exam. The IStructE are the only institution I am aware of that has an exam, and I believe the pass-rate is something like 33%... Whereas for the IMechE interview (for example), I believe somewhere around 80-90% of candidates are successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending