Experience with your black box?

Watch
rsd0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi
I passed my driving test last week and I'm having my black box fitted as we speak. I'm with admiral little box insurance. I was just wondering how strict they really are? My insurance company said they'll only contact me if I'm in the bottom 5% of poor scores to tell me to improve otherwise I'll be taken off the insurance. I personally think the boxes sound like a good idea in terms of not speeding as getting caught twice in the first two years = license gone! But when it comes to monitoring the time of day, how you come around bends etc it doesn't sound ideal. What were your experiences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Emma:-)
IWMTom

I think they are one of the most sinister, unwelcome developments in driving of the past 5-years or so.

An anecdote (given that I'm rather past the black box stage). One of our employee's sons had a black box fitted, and was late for an exam. His mate rang him up to tell him, so he jumped in the car and drove rather frantically to the examination. Because of the harsh acceleration, braking, speeding etc the insurance company contacted him the next day to say the insurance had been cancelled. No questions, no chance to explain - just cancelled. And on every future insurance policy, he has now to declare 'yes' to the question 'have you ever had insurance cancelled or voided or special terms imposed?"
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rsd0)
Hi
I passed my driving test last week and I'm having my black box fitted as we speak. I'm with admiral little box insurance. I was just wondering how strict they really are? My insurance company said they'll only contact me if I'm in the bottom 5% of poor scores to tell me to improve otherwise I'll be taken off the insurance. I personally think the boxes sound like a good idea in terms of not speeding as getting caught twice in the first two years = license gone! But when it comes to monitoring the time of day, how you come around bends etc it doesn't sound ideal. What were your experiences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Different black box companies have different rules with regards to all sorts of things like curfews, mileage limits etc. Best to read up on your own policy.
Personally im not a fan of black boxes, but hey ho. As well as the fact they arent always cheaper etc, they arent always viable for some people. Basically because of the fact that the curfews and mileage limits mean that they arent suitable for people because of work etc. And theres also been reports of various people having trouble with them- with things such as the box recording the driver speeding when the car was at on the drive all along etc etc.
luciebexon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Black boxes aren't really ideal. I am with admiral for my insurance, i've been with them since April last year. The quotes I received only differed by about £200 as to whether I got a black box or not. I didn't have one (mainly because my parents didn't really see the point in feeling pressured). I don't really agree that they make you a better driver, they make you an anxious one!
I've been told many times that with my driving style I would suit a black box because I never speed and i'm quite gentle when driving, but it is just a matter of opinion whether you want one or not.
I had a friend who got a black box and it had a curfew (which I REALLY do not agree with) and he couldn't go to hospital to see a relative in an emergency because it was past his curfew.
I suppose it's best to be careful if you do have one, but try and relax, chances are if you've passed your test you are already a safe driver!

Best of luck!
Xopher_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a 1.2 limited ed corsa with ingenie, I've had it for 3 months and saved £80 so far (every 3 months they review it) Just make sure you go slow round corners and brake smoothly. When I say smoothly I mean don't 100% the brakes in .2 seconds and you'll be good. I used to be afraid of flooring it but I do it a lot now for the fun of it and the box doesn't care. Occasional speeding is okay on country roads from my experience. Basically black boxes don't limit you as much as people make out they do. Just have fun and brake Before the bends not on them.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
IWMTom

I think they are one of the most sinister, unwelcome developments in driving of the past 5-years or so.

An anecdote (given that I'm r 7 inather past the black box stage). One of our employee's sons had a black box fitted, and was late for an exam. His mate rang him up to tell him, so he jumped in the car and drove rather frantically to the examination. Because of the harsh acceleration, braking, speeding etc the insurance company contacted him the next day to say the insurance had been cancelled. No questions, no chance to explain - just cancelled. And on every future insurance policy, he has now to declare 'yes' to the question 'have you ever had insurance cancelled or voided or special terms imposed?"
Black boxes truly are the devil's work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads