w3iw3ixixi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Could you recommend a good laptop for computer science ?
I was looking at lenovo ideapad 710s ,Asus ZenBook Flip UX360, hp spectre x360 , macbook air... Give me your opinion and suggest something good and not overpriced . Thanks
DogeOfDisaproval
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
paper
mashbbk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depending on your budget, but 13" Spectre x360, Lenovo 910 and the XPS 13 9360 (look for the 7th Generation Kabylake models for these 3) are probably the best Windows ultraportables.

If you go for the XPS 13, I strongly recommend the 1080p FHD version of the UHD touch version, the matte screen is so good for studying, is cheaper and the battery lasts forever. You will be limited to 8GB RAM but I can assure you that it won't hinder your studies!

Not that you need anything powerful/expensive as these 3 for a course like CS (Doing Msc CS myself) mind you. If you prefer note taking, then there is the option of the Surface Pro 4, but I think right now it is better to wait out till Surface Pro 5 for improved battery life and usability.

You could hop onto the Apple train (MacBooks/iPads) however, unless you are familiar with it already, it might not be worth your time. Most university courses are taught on Windows/Linux, sometimes providing only limited support with iOS (YMMV).

As the the reply above, although some work you will have to definitely do on a computer, pen/paper isn't all that bad - because getting used to writing code will help in exams, as you will have to write out your answers with pen and paper. It takes getting used to!
NoPunInThisName
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lenovo Z500 or an upgraded model of that. Served me very well for four years and runs 3Ds Max, coding software and plenty of games very well. Though do look to get a more recent Lenovo. :yy:
username3079870
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In terms of OS, I would actually look at what your course is going to involve as a first point of reference. For example, imagine your course uses Visual Studio/C#. Running VS in a VM on a Mac can be a slow tedious process, and TBH other IDEs made for Macs aren't as good as VS for things like C#. So a Windows machine might be better. On the other hand, running C code via GCC is a dream on a Linux OS. Although running a Linux VM is a whole lot easier than running a Windows VM. Imagine all of the tools you are going to use in uni work on Windows 7 okay, but do they work on Windows 10? You get the point.

I know it's a minor thing to consider but it will make your life easier especially when you are doing labs or practical assignments.
Crispyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are consider to work on laptop I would only look for ThinkPad's or HP Zbooks. You can find a lot of after lease-sales
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was planning on getting an XPS but having recently pulled my old Lenovo Thinkpad T410 out of the closet to do some testing on I remembered why I loved it so much. I do stress though it has to be an actual Thinkpad, not the Yoga devices you find in stores.

If you want a device to get work done on without worrying if it looks cool, Thinkpad keyboards are unbeatable, and the trackpoint is what all laptops are missing.

The problem is you won't find them in stores where you can test them and get a feel for them.
socialdisaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have the Lenovo Yoga 710 and love it to bits (and got £100 off which was niiice ) but my friend has one of the earlier models (I think it's the 900?) and it seems to be almost identical and probably just as good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed