Correlation Confusion! Watch

Moonspace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In the S3 Edexcel Book there are two types of correlation , Spearmans and PMCC. For spearmans its supposed to be no tied ranks but in Example 2 in the book it says: During a cattle show two judges ranked ten cattle for quality according to the following table and then it goes on to solve the question by spearmans. How is this possible considering there are tied ranks.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can use Spearman with tied ranks; the most common approach is to replace the tied ranks by the "average" rank they span.

i.e. if you 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 (tied), 6, 7, 8 so that there was a 3 way tie for 3rd place, then the 3rd place ranks are actually spanning positions 3, 4 and 5, so you'd replace 3 by the average of 3, 4 and 5.

The specification actually says; "Numerical questions involving ties will not be set. Some understanding of how to deal with ties will be expected."

I confess I don't really know what "some understanding..." means here...
Moonspace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
You can use Spearman with tied ranks; the most common approach is to replace the tied ranks by the "average" rank they span.

i.e. if you 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 (tied), 6, 7, 8 so that there was a 3 way tie for 3rd place, then the 3rd place ranks are actually spanning positions 3, 4 and 5, so you'd replace 3 by the average of 3, 4 and 5.

The specification actually says; "Numerical questions involving ties will not be set. Some understanding of how to deal with ties will be expected."

I get how to work out ranks for the spearmans but in a question how would I know whether to use PMCC or spearmans. In the edexcel s3 book, in the first example in this chapter, the question says that two tea tasters were asked to rank blends of tea in oder of preference and then goes on to show the table. This question is solved with PMCC but the question in example 2, (written in initial post) which is similar to question 1 is done with spearmans and not PMCC
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Moonspace)
I get how to work out ranks for the spearmans but in a question how would I know whether to use PMCC or spearmans. In the edexcel s3 book, in the first example in this chapter, the question says that two tea tasters were asked to rank blends of tea in oder of preference and then goes on to show the table. This question is solved with PMCC but the question in example 2, (written in initial post) which is similar to question 1 is done with spearmans and not PMCC
Key is kind of in the name: if you're dealing with rankings you'd normally use a rank correlation coefficient such as Spearmans, if you're dealing with numbers (i.e. things that come from actual measurements etc) you'd normally use PMCC.

Note that you don't "have" to do it this way, so an example in a chapter introducing Spearman's RCC might well first use PMCC as a "compare and contrast"...
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
I don't know either. I don't teach Edexcel or any Statistics modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads