The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Mitigating?!

So recently I've been suffering with really bad migraines, I have been to see 3 different doctors now and still waiting on a proper diagnosis, I have been told I'm suffering from high blood pressure which means I'm also still waiting on results from what may cause this.
My migraines get so bad that my vision is blurred even with my glasses on, I feel physically sick and tired that I can hardly move.

My issues is that these have started becoming ver very frequent and I'm due to sit two exams in the coming two weeks, but due to these affecting me so much my motivation to revise or to even understand what work I have in front of me is 0 to none. Staring at paperwork for too long hurts my head and triggers symptoms to my migraines.
My issue is will uni accept migraines as mitigation, I'm hoping to claim mitigation just because I am not sure I'm fit enough to sit an exam and the doctors are still running test on to what may be the issue behind my migraines. I understand that I would need doctors notes to provide evidence of my issues, but will these be accepted 😳
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Enidan7
So recently I've been suffering with really bad migraines, I have been to see 3 different doctors now and still waiting on a proper diagnosis, I have been told I'm suffering from high blood pressure which means I'm also still waiting on results from what may cause this.
My migraines get so bad that my vision is blurred even with my glasses on, I feel physically sick and tired that I can hardly move.

My issues is that these have started becoming ver very frequent and I'm due to sit two exams in the coming two weeks, but due to these affecting me so much my motivation to revise or to even understand what work I have in front of me is 0 to none. Staring at paperwork for too long hurts my head and triggers symptoms to my migraines.
My issue is will uni accept migraines as mitigation, I'm hoping to claim mitigation just because I am not sure I'm fit enough to sit an exam and the doctors are still running test on to what may be the issue behind my migraines. I understand that I would need doctors notes to provide evidence of my issues, but will these be accepted 😳

How many attacks have you had in the last six weeks?
How long does an attack last?
Vomiting?
What medication are you on?
What is it you want from mitigation?

Obviously they have a procedure so just apply. We cant tell you how they will view it. it could go either way imo and depends what you want. You normally just id the trigger factors and get those under control.

They could take your view depending on what the Drs say or they could say youve had long enough to sort yourself out an it depends whether you have an attack on the day. they might by sympathetic if you were bedridden for 50% of the time imo. Nothing to lose.

Maybe also have a chat with your disabilities team, perhaps they have experience of an instance such as yours?
(edited 7 years ago)
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
How many attacks have you had in the last six weeks?
How long does an attack last?
Vomiting?
What medication are you on?
What is it you want from mitigation?

Obviously they have a procedure so just apply. We cant tell you how they will view it. it could go either way imo and depends what you want. You normally just id the trigger factors and get those under control.

They could take your view depending on what the Drs say or they could say youve had long enough to sort yourself out an it depends whether you have an attack on the day. they might by sympathetic if you were bedridden for 50% of the time imo. Nothing to lose.

Maybe also have a chat with your disabilities team, perhaps they have experience of an instance such as yours?

I get them very frequently recently it's everyday, I've been in three different medication with nothing working so I'm awaiting the next appointment with my doctor.

I'm wanting mitigation for the fact that I haven't got these under control and I don't know when I will, if I at least get mitigation until the summer resits I feel like then I'll have more time to be able to get answers and the correct medical treatment

I know it's probably a long shot but I stress myself out by think about the exams because I can not concerntrate and this makes my migraines worse.

I'm seeing a doctor Friday so maybe I should see what he thinks?
Original post by Enidan7
I get them very frequently recently it's everyday, I've been in three different medication with nothing working so I'm awaiting the next appointment with my doctor.

I'm wanting mitigation for the fact that I haven't got these under control and I don't know when I will, if I at least get mitigation until the summer resits I feel like then I'll have more time to be able to get answers and the correct medical treatment

I know it's probably a long shot but I stress myself out by think about the exams because I can not concerntrate and this makes my migraines worse.

I'm seeing a doctor Friday so maybe I should see what he thinks?

If your Dr backs you up, then you have a chance i.e you are debilitated a large amount of the time I'd say 50% of the week you are bedridden. Presumably you are seeing a consultant now?

Are you keeping a food diary? if so for how long?
What have they tried you on? Triptans?

If the DR backs you up and suggests it is debilitating you beyond your control and for substantial amounts, then Id think youd stand a good chance. You need to get the claim in asap. Talk to your tutor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending