The Student Room Group

My guy friend gets jealous...

He heard that I'm dating someone and got jealous/ defensive and started asking me how my relationship with the guy is going whilst looking upset. What I don't understand is he doesn't want to date me so why does it bother him when I'm with someone. (I asked him out ages ago and he rejected me.)
Original post by Anonymous
He heard that I'm dating someone and got jealous/ defensive and started asking me how my relationship with the guy is going whilst looking upset. What I don't understand is he doesn't want to date me so why does it bother him when I'm with someone. (I asked him out ages ago and he rejected me.)

Guys are very possessive with the girls they're close with, he'll get over it. Pretty much every guy feels this at some point in their lives.

I'm a guy.
Reply 2
What I don't understand is he doesn't want to date me so why does it bother him when I'm with someone. (I asked him out ages ago and he rejected me.)

I'll be blunt, he was attracted to you somewhat but for whatever reason did not want a relationship, subconsciously he saw you as a kind of safety net/backup option and when you told him you were dating someone else .. suddenly you were now off limits to him and this produced a bit of an increase in attraction causing him to have second thoughts and he got a bit jealous....

The times I've rejected someone and they get with someone else ..or look like they are about to get with someone else I often find myself more attracted to them and feeling a bit jealous :dontknow:
Maybe he looks at you as a sister and is trying to protect you from idiots?
Reply 4
Original post by Newbie_noob
Guys are very possessive with the girls they're close with, he'll get over it. Pretty much every guy feels this at some point in their lives.

I'm a guy.

Yeah makes sense. It's just annoying I really want to give him a slap. :angry: If he was a true friend he'd be happy for me.
Original post by ANM775
I'll be blunt, he was attracted to you somewhat but for whatever reason did not want a relationship, subconsciously he saw you as a kind of safety net/backup option and when you told him you were dating someone else .. suddenly you were now off limits to him and this produced a bit of an increase in attraction causing him to have second thoughts and he got a bit jealous....

The times I've rejected someone and they get with someone else ..or look like they are about to get with someone else I often find myself more attracted to them and feeling a bit jealous :dontknow:

I understand that. I'm pretty sure he was attracted probably just not attracted enough to turn it into a relationship, which is fair enough.
Yeah makes sense. It's just annoying I really want to give him a slap. :angry: If he was a true friend he'd be happy for me.

I understand that. I'm pretty sure he was attracted probably just not attracted enough to turn it into a relationship, which is fair enough.

This makes sense. And now you're with someone else it's his loss. Maybe he was taking you for granted a bit and assumed you would always be "free" for him, should he decide to take things further. Sounds like he is being selfish and unreasonable, tbh. If he was truly your friend he would be happy for you, end of.
Reply 6
Original post by mrhedgehog
Maybe he looks at you as a sister and is trying to protect you from idiots?

I don't think so. I've caught him perving on me. Looking at my ass and checking me out. That's why I thought he might have some interest but no...
Original post by markova21
This makes sense. And now you're with someone else it's his loss. Maybe he was taking you for granted a bit and assumed you would always be "free" for him, should he decide to take things further. Sounds like he is being selfish and unreasonable, tbh. If he was truly your friend he would be happy for you, end of.

Yeah that's I find it selfish of him. He just jumps when I get attention from other guys. Even when another guy tries to flirt me or something or says hi, he says they're not interested in you they're just being friendly. Like he's trying to reassure himself...
I don't think so. I've caught him perving on me. Looking at my ass and checking me out. That's why I thought he might have some interest but no...

In that case he probably just has a big ego and it inflated when he rejected you. He probably wanted you to persist, but you clearly didn't and now he can't take that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending