The Student Room Group

Finance roles for introverted

I am deciding on which area of banking, I would like to work in (applying for sw next year), and while I can give presentations, talk with clients etc, its something which I dislike. So what areas of banking should I be looking at, if I want role with minimal client interaction?
Risk, compliance, operations.
Reply 2
Original post by shyperson
I am deciding on which area of banking, I would like to work in (applying for sw next year), and while I can give presentations, talk with clients etc, its something which I dislike. So what areas of banking should I be looking at, if I want role with minimal client interaction?

Dont base your decision on this at this stage. Uni is good at developing your skills and traits as long as you get involved. I had fear of presenting but its long gone after doing it many times. Also, even if you dont overcome a specific fear there is so much more to a job than one thing so consider all the aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
in finance you'll always be interacting with a client, so to speak, even if it's internal.

it isn't called a people industry for nothing.
technology? a quant role ie sitting on an exotic derivatives desk?
Reply 5
Original post by glebp
Risk, compliance, operations.

Thanks mate, risk and compliance seem interesting, but for compliance do I need to be doing a law degree or is any degree fine.
Reply 6
Original post by souman
Dont base your decision on this at this stage. Uni is good at developing your skills and traits as long as you get involved. I had fear of presenting but its long gone after doing it many times. Also, even if you dont overcome a specific fear there is so much more to a job than one thing so consider all the aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wont base my decision now, but I'm trying to cold-call boutiques for some shadowing exp this summer, so I'm trying to get an idea of where I would like to go.
Original post by shyperson
Thanks mate, risk and compliance seem interesting, but for compliance do I need to be doing a law degree or is any degree fine.

Any degree is fine. I would go for risk tbh. Don't let being shy put you off. I know it's easier said than done.
Reply 8
Original post by glebp
Any degree is fine. I would go for risk tbh. Don't let being shy put you off. I know it's easier said than done.

Thanks mate, market risk appeals to me because I would like to combine some economics with programming but I shall try and get a clearer idea on what I want to do. Yes, I'm trying to become more confident in public speaking, talking with a posher accent etc, so hopefully by the time sw comes around it should have improved.
Reply 9
Original post by gr8wizard10
in finance you'll always be interacting with a client, so to speak, even if it's internal.

it isn't called a people industry for nothing.

Thanks mate, but surely in some area in banking, you would be given a task independently to do and let your manager deal with the client. It's just I don't see myself interacting with chief-exec (in research), or taking clients out for dinner etc.
Reply 10
Original post by ozilll
technology? a quant role ie sitting on an exotic derivatives desk?

thanks mate, yes I have noticed tech coming up alot, but dont you need a phd to be a quant??
Surely the trading floor would be mainly talking over Bloomberg and brief phone calls, but not too much proper client interaction?
I think risk or derivatives trading could be good. Maybe consider equity research at an asset management firm if you find that interesting.
You could become an M&A analyst, then move to buy-side (Private Equity). At analyst level in a BB, there is limited to no client interaction, with the same at PE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending