The Student Room Group

lightweight laptop with good battery?

i am looking for a laptop/netbook for uni in September. I have a gaming rig for home and a laptop already that does what i need but its too heavy and large to be carrying across town and the battery is really poor.
i have upto 600 to spend on it and its only for Uni, no need to play games or stream movies.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
just want small with a big battery... and the ability to run word. Thank you for any help.
double post.
(edited 6 years ago)
Willing to go refurbished? Thought about a chromebook if it's just for word processing? I don't see you needing to spend £600 for this kind of laptop.
I got a lenovo ideapad 110s for essentially the same purpose; it's quite small and lightweight, but the battery lasts a good 4 hours or so (compared to luckily getting 3 on my proper laptop). Also the power cable doesn't have one of the hefty transformer blocks on it which helps.

Downside is it has a 32GB HDD and 2GB RAM so it's pretty useless doing anything but general browsing. I have a small external HDD I carry around with it which mitigates the first issue, although the RAM is painful sometimes.

Overall for a £200 laptop that I bought for this one purpose I'm not really complaining. Although the external (which I already had) was £50 so...I guess £250 :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SomeGuyHere
Willing to go refurbished? Thought about a chromebook if it's just for word processing? I don't see you needing to spend £600 for this kind of laptop.

i don't mind refurbed, my main issue is battery life. i haven't seen any chromebooks with a long battery life that aren't too expensive though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
I got a lenovo ideapad 110s for essentially the same purpose; it's quite small and lightweight, but the battery lasts a good 4 hours or so (compared to luckily getting 3 on my proper laptop). Also the power cable doesn't have one of the hefty transformer blocks on it which helps.

Downside is it has a 32GB HDD and 2GB RAM so it's pretty useless doing anything but general browsing. I have a small external HDD I carry around with it which mitigates the first issue, although the RAM is painful sometimes.

Overall for a £200 laptop that I bought for this one purpose I'm not really complaining.

I would prefer paying more for a longer battery life if at all possible. i have added the
lenovo ideapad 110s to my list though thank you.
Original post by Hayyz91
I would prefer paying more for a longer battery life if at all possible. i have added the

I'm not too sure it'll get a lot better honestly. Most laptops I've had begin about 3hrs average battery life and it goes down from there.

Ofc that's just running in standard to high power consumption modes/uses. If you're running it in a low power setting doing light browsing it'd last much longer.

But yea, laptop battery life tends to be on the short side; if you need longer consider getting a spare battery or a recharge pack/case thing :tongue:
Original post by Hayyz91

Thinkpads can be picked up cheap and you can either buy a second battery or just put a bigger one in them. I have an X240 that lasts maybe 6 hours.

Otherwise the Acer R11 4gb (windows version) or asus transformer might be worth a look.
Buy a cheap thinkpad, add 9 watt battery, good done. I have had a t440 for 4 years not and battery is still 7 hours. I second someguyhere with the x240 suggestion, but if the screen is small its 12.5, the t series is better at 14. Also add an sdd and don't spend extra for the i7.
Reply 9
same i also cant find a decent one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending