(A Levels Chemistry) URGENT!! There's a test tmr :(

Watch this thread
chocoberries
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why does ionic bond present in tertraaminecopper(II) sulphate? Thank you
CaptainJackFail
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Copper (II), Cu^2+ , is a positive ion which is bonded to a negative ion ,sulfate ion , SO3^2-, hence forming ionic bonds.
chocoberries
Rep:
(Original post by CaptainJackFail)
Copper (II), Cu^2+ , is a positive ion which is bonded to a negative ion ,sulfate ion , SO3^2-, hence forming ionic bonds.
How about covalent bond in addition to dative covalent bond?
xXShiny9TalesXx
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chocoberries)
Why does ionic bond present in tertraaminecopper(II) sulphate? Thank you
Tetraamminecopper(II) sulfate is the inorganic compound with the formula [Cu(NH3)4(H2O)n]SO4. This dark blue solid is a metal complex with faint odor of ammonia. It is closely related to Schweizer's reagent, which is used for the production of cellulose fibers in the production of rayon. It is used to print fabrics, used as a pesticide and to make other copper compounds like copper nano-powder.

found this on Wikipedia hope it helps
Some one
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It's actually the [Cu (NH3)4] 2+ cation and the SO4 2- anion that forms the ionic bond. Yes the cation does contain covalent bonds too
chocoberries
Rep:
(Original post by Some one)
It's actually the [Cu (NH3)4] 2+ cation and the SO4 2- anion that forms the ionic bond. Yes the cation does contain covalent bonds too
but covalent bonds are between non-metals right? Copper and ammonia are metal and non-metal
Some one
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chocoberries)
but covalent bonds are between non-metals right? Copper and ammonia are metal and non-metal
No that is indeed a misconception. It is the difference in electronegativity between the two elements that determine whether the compound is ionic or covalent. Generally metals have low electronegativity and non metals have high electronegativity so we usually say metals and non metals form ionic bonds, but that is not always correct. In this example, the electronegativity difference is not large enough for complete transfer of electrons so a covalent bond forms. Another example is FeCl3 where there is a covalent bond between a metal and non-metal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads