The Student Room Group

First car

Scroll to see replies

Original post by > Louis
Newer cars are cheaper to insure, that's a fact. The price of the car rarely affects the insurance cost unless it is £20k+.

So you're saying this newer Polo would cost less to insure than a 2002 Nissan Micra because of just its safety features. It's safety features will reduce the insurance cost by a fraction, but the cost of the vehicle is going to outweigh the safety features for definite unless the car has virtually no value.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
So you're saying this newer Polo would cost less to insure than a 2002 Nissan Micra because of just its safety features. It's safety features will reduce the insurance cost by a fraction, but the cost of the vehicle is going to outweigh the safety features for definite unless the car has virtually no value.

I never said anything about the safety features but they are only one of the things that brings down the insurance of new cars. With new cars there is a lower chance of mechanical or electrical failure that could cause an accident, some insurance companies only insure cars after a certain year and a lot of black boxes can only be fitted to newer cars, people who drive newer cars are seen to be more careful with their car, it's more likely that an older car will be in an accident than a newer one.

If I was 17 and getting either a 2014 polo or a 2002 micra it would be £100 cheaper for me to insure the polo with a black box and £600 less without one than the micra.
Reply 22
Original post by KappaRoss
When i was 11 i wanted a Lamborghini gallardo 2010. Still kinda do ;P.

Well .. you know Lamborghini is owned by VW :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Hmm .. I do see some sense in this , as the cheapest quote I could get on a year 2000 1.0 Yaris I was offered was £6500 whilst £2000 on the Polo
Tesla Model 3.
Reply 25
Original post by rsd0
Hey
I've got a 2012 VW Polo Match 1.2 in silver. It's really reliable and fun to drive. Mine is a petrol however sounds and stalls like a diesel (?!) I would definitely recommend it. My insurance is £1200 with a black box with Admiral little box insurance. What year would you like to get? Maybe look at the 1.2 for cheaper insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for that 👍🏻 I've heard there really good cars from a lot of people now . I might consider the 1.2 . Just wasn't sure it would be enough for motorway driving as I might need to be doing more of this when I'm 18 . How is it getting up to motorway speeds ?
Reply 26
Original post by Stickman
Tesla Model 3.

I wish pal . My budget will probably be about £10K for a used car and £13k for a new one (if it's got free insurance)
Original post by Dan5782
I wish pal . My budget will probably be about £10K for a used car and £13k for a new one (if it's got free insurance)

Think it's definitely worth it on lease or something like that, with a downpayment of that what you're looking for a used. That's what I'm aiming and saving up for anyway.
Reply 28
Original post by Dan5782
thanks for that 👍🏻 I've heard there really good cars from a lot of people now . I might consider the 1.2 . Just wasn't sure it would be enough for motorway driving as I might need to be doing more of this when I'm 18 . How is it getting up to motorway speeds ?

I haven't actually done motorway driving yet having only passed not even 2 weeks ago! But on dual carriageways which I use frequently it does it's job really well. Quite noisy but can pick up speed relatively quick for the engine size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dan5782
Hi all ,
I Am coming up to being able to drive . I work part time and go to college . I was just wondering opinions of the VW Polo 1.4 85PS . I know this might be expensive initilally but I will be able to afford one . I just want a decently reliable , reasonably quick nice solid car to get me started . Insurance isn't too bad , I've looked and had quotes for £2000 with a black box .which I know is not the best but I would hope this to come down ..
Any owners reviews or opinions would be appreciated too . Thanks .

That's a good first car. Personally, I wouldn't get a black box. Hopefully I'm gonna do my test this summer. Black boxes are a con; read up about it. I can't remember the post but there were some good points about not getting a black box which were valid e.g.: emergency braking etc which can bring up your insurance all due to a black box.
Reply 30
Original post by Dan5782
Hi all ,
I Am coming up to being able to drive . I work part time and go to college . I was just wondering opinions of the VW Polo 1.4 85PS . I know this might be expensive initilally but I will be able to afford one . I just want a decently reliable , reasonably quick nice solid car to get me started . Insurance isn't too bad , I've looked and had quotes for £2000 with a black box .which I know is not the best but I would hope this to come down ..
Any owners reviews or opinions would be appreciated too . Thanks .

Ok, I'm 17 and have got a 66 Polo 1.4l. By having the insurance taken out in my mother's name and putting myself as a named driver, it's costing us roughly £1700 for fully comprehensive (no black box) with direct line. Being new it's pretty easy to drive and have no regrets
Reply 31
Original post by MattB_
Ok, I'm 17 and have got a 66 Polo 1.4l. By having the insurance taken out in my mother's name and putting myself as a named driver, it's costing us roughly £1700 for fully comprehensive (no black box) with direct line. Being new it's pretty easy to drive and have no regrets

Who drives it most often? Sounds like fronting to me.
Reply 32
Original post by IWMTom

I would say my mother drives it more than me, I just use it for commuting in the morning, whereas she'll use it for longer journeys and during the weekends
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by MattB_
I would say my mother drives it more than me, I just use it for commuting in the morning, whereas she'll use it for longer journeys and during the weekends

Be VERY VERY careful in a situation like this otherwise you might find your policy being voided come claim time.
Reply 34
Original post by MKaur18
That's a good first car. Personally, I wouldn't get a black box. Hopefully I'm gonna do my test this summer. Black boxes are a con; read up about it. I can't remember the post but there were some good points about not getting a black box which were valid e.g.: emergency braking etc which can bring up your insurance all due to a black box.

Thanks for this . I would love not to have a black box but can't find a quote cheaper that £6000 for any at without one.
Reply 35
Original post by IWMTom

Nice , I really can't wait to get one . Will probably be next year after I've passed my test and have saved up enough though .
Reply 36
Original post by rsd0
I haven't actually done motorway driving yet having only passed not even 2 weeks ago! But on dual carriageways which I use frequently it does it's job really well. Quite noisy but can pick up speed relatively quick for the engine size.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm .. I think I may just go for the 1.4 seing as it will probably be another year or so until I get one , so hopefully insurance will have gone down for me by then . Oh wow! Well done , and safe driving 😁🎉 about how many lessons did you have if you wouldn't mind me asking ?
What people say about black boxes isn't really true. They aren't limiting, as long as you don't drive like a total tool. The roads are so busy now that you rarely have the chance to speed anyway.

I have a Polo 63 plate match edition and while it's only a 1.2, it's perfectly capable of sitting at 80 on the motorway. The only thing I wish was better was the economy: I get about 44mpg on a long motorway trip. I would also add that as you have never driven before, how fast the car is really isn't an issue as you aren't used to anything else.

Go second hand. You'll almost inevitably do some damage, whether that be kerb the alloy, or touch the bumper on it etc. You'll be way less sad if its a few years old. The car will have also done more of the depreciating by then. It also saves more money for insurance, petrol, tax etc. These all add up.
Original post by Dan5782
Thanks for this . I would love not to have a black box but can't find a quote cheaper that £6000 for any at without one.

Either go for a cheaper car or use a black box. If i were you i'd either wait and save up or if u really need a car get a cheap one :smile: xx
Reply 39
Original post by philipd
What people say about black boxes isn't really true. They aren't limiting, as long as you don't drive like a total tool. The roads are so busy now that you rarely have the chance to speed anyway.

I have a Polo 63 plate match edition and while it's only a 1.2, it's perfectly capable of sitting at 80 on the motorway. The only thing I wish was better was the economy: I get about 44mpg on a long motorway trip. I would also add that as you have never driven before, how fast the car is really isn't an issue as you aren't used to anything else.

Go second hand. You'll almost inevitably do some damage, whether that be kerb the alloy, or touch the bumper on it etc. You'll be way less sad if its a few years old. The car will have also done more of the depreciating by then. It also saves more money for insurance, petrol, tax etc. These all add up.

Yeah thanks , think I've figured used is the best way to go . Suprised that the 1.2 appears to be so quick . But think I still going to go for the 1.4 if I can as the insurance doesn't seem to be much different to the 1.2 and I have heard that the 1.4 is much smoother than the 1.2 due to it being a 4 cylinder engine rather than 3 ( the 1.2 )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending