panda7190
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I am currently doing some past papers and I've come across a complex numbers question. Ive attached the question together with a solution. However I was wondering if anyone could please check whether the solution is right and if it is explain to me where I go wrong.
From what I know, j^2 = -1 Therefore (j^2)(3.2)(8.1) would create a negative value of -25.92 however in the solution to this question it creates a positive value? Same goes to j(-4.9)(8.1) that should create a negative value of -39.69 however in the solution its positive.
Am I doing something wrong here and i should make these positive? If so, then why?

Sorry, for some reason I can't upload a cropped pic from my phone, it's the example (iv).

Name:  IMG_0096.PNG
Views: 38
Size:  282.6 KB

Thank you for any help
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by panda7190)
Thank you for any help
Yes, you're correct. The two parts you mention are in error in the given solution.
panda7190
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much I was quite stressed out that I was doing something wrong
Kyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by panda7190)
Hi I am currently doing some past papers and I've come across a complex numbers question. Ive attached the question together with a solution. However I was wondering if anyone could please check whether the solution is right and if it is explain to me where I go wrong.
From what I know, j^2 = -1 Therefore (j^2)(3.2)(8.1) would create a negative value of -25.92 however in the solution to this question it creates a positive value? Same goes to j(-4.9)(8.1) that should create a negative value of -39.69 however in the solution its positive.
Am I doing something wrong here and i should make these positive? If so, then why?

Sorry, for some reason I can't upload a cropped pic from my phone, it's the example (iv).

Name:  IMG_0096.PNG
Views: 38
Size:  282.6 KB

Thank you for any help
Yes, the solution is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.82%
No (67)
39.18%

Watched Threads