2 A levels and an A2 during one year, is it possible Watch

Sham_MK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I took AS maths in year 11 and got an A, however Im planning to take A2 maths and A-level Biology and Chemistry next year, will it be difficult?? By the way, I'm doing IALs so I have two exam sessions, one in January and the other is in june, so I'll do the AS modules and C34 in January and A2 modules along with S1 in june
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sham_MK)
I took AS maths in year 11 and got an A, however Im planning to take A2 maths and A-level Biology and Chemistry next year, will it be difficult?? By the way, I'm doing IALs so I have two exam sessions, one in January and the other is in june, so I'll do the AS modules and C34 in January and A2 modules along with S1 in june
It's possible, but why at you doing it and what grades do you need?
Sham_MK
Rep:
?
(Original post by HopelessMedic)
It's possible, but why at you doing it and what grades do you need?
I need A*AA or AAA
HopelessMedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I need A*AA or AAA
Why do you need to take them this year and not over the normal two year period like everyone else?
Sham_MK
Rep:
?
Why do you need to take them this year and not over the normal two year period like everyone else?
Well, because I want to apply to medicine, and most universities don't accept an A level taken a year earlier
HopelessMedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, because I want to apply to medicine, and most universities don't accept an A level taken a year earlier
Ok, perhaps i'm missing something but uni's allow you to take A-levels over two years of study so why are you doing it in 1?
Applying for medicine doesn't change this.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So you going to do first half of A-level in bio and chem but then A2 maths? Or do you mean you going to do the full a-level in bio and chem for some reason (would be a pretty bad idea). I did my as level maths in year 11 too as this year I'm doing A2 maths, as physics, as chemistry and as english. Then next year I'll be doing As further maths, A2 further maths, A2 physics, A2 chemistry. So yeah if it's the former thing I said then you'll be totally fine. I don't even know if doing a science a-level in one year would even be possible if you were actually going to get all the lessons and be taught properly due to time tabling so I assume you mean finish off you a-level maths then start bio and chem which in that case yeah you'll be totally fine.
Sham_MK
Rep:
?
Ok, perhaps i'm missing something but uni's allow you to take A-levels over two years of study so why are you doing it in 1?
Applying for medicine doesn't change this.
Well unfortunately it does, I emailed many universities, and they said that they won't consider the A level taken a year earlier as part of the offer, it's because they want evedince that I can cope up with the workload of 3 A levels simultaneously
Sham_MK
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
So you going to do first half of A-level in bio and chem but then A2 maths? Or do you mean you going to do the full a-level in bio and chem for some reason (would be a pretty bad idea). I did my as level maths in year 11 too as this year I'm doing A2 maths, as physics, as chemistry and as english. Then next year I'll be doing As further maths, A2 further maths, A2 physics, A2 chemistry. So yeah if it's the former thing I said then you'll be totally fine. I don't even know if doing a science a-level in one year would even be possible if you were actually going to get all the lessons and be taught properly due to time tabling so I assume you mean finish off you a-level maths then start bio and chem which in that case yeah you'll be totally fine.
I'm going to take 2 full A levels in bio and chem and A2 maths. And yes I'm going to get all the lessons as I take private tuitions. Next
January, I'll do C34, AS chem and AS bio. After that, in June, I'll do S1, A2 bio and A2 chem. And that's it. Is it possible to achieve AAA or will it be near impossible??
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm going to take 2 full A levels in bio and chem and A2 maths. And yes I'm going to get all the lessons as I take private tuitions. Next
January, I'll do C34, AS chem and AS bio. After that, in June, I'll do S1, A2 bio and A2 chem. And that's it. Is it possible to achieve AAA or will it be near impossible??
Very, Very difficult especially with new A level content, theres a reason they are designed to be studied over two years- Chem and bio a2 are tough and need a lot of work- Why dont you do AS FM next year and finish the A2 maths in 2nd year alongside your bio and chem- dont jeopardise your bio and chem results for maths as youll need 3 As for medicine minimum- even if your maths is A** you will still need bio and chem at A. I highly recommend you dont do this.
james813
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why not do A2 maths this year and 3 other ASs (maybe further maths) then do A2s normally?
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, medicine applicant here. I'm really struggling to understand why you're doing this. You said you have taken AS Maths in year 11, so have you taken a year out and going to study for exams next summer?
If I were you, I would complete A2 Maths this upcoming year alongside AS Bio, Chem and another AS subject you would enjoy. I don't suggest AS FM unless you plan on dropping it after AS as it is not considered a separate A Level when you apply for Medicine (for most if not all unis I have looked at myself)
username1753569
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by james813)
Why not do A2 maths this year and 3 other ASs (maybe further maths) then do A2s normally?
I second this, the best way to do it I think. Do the 3 ASs and drop 1 after to focus on the 2 A2 exams you will have, or keep the 3rd AS though it won't benefit you as they will only look at 3 A-Levels when applying.
Sham_MK
Rep:
?
(Original post by slowdive)
Hi, medicine applicant here. I'm really struggling to understand why you're doing this. You said you have taken AS Maths in year 11, so have you taken a year out and going to study for exams next summer?
If I were you, I would complete A2 Maths this upcoming year alongside AS Bio, Chem and another AS subject you would enjoy. I don't suggest AS FM unless you plan on dropping it after AS as it is not considered a separate A Level when you apply for Medicine (for most if not all unis I have looked at myself)
But this still leaves me with 2 A2s in year 13 and that's the problem
username1753569
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Right okay, best thing to do would be to not drop the 3rd AS as you'd have the same work load in second year as every other applicant anyway, although first year work load will be larger. This does mean you won't be able to take Further Maths unfortunately.
Or you can leave your Maths at AS and take 3 different AS Levels. This could be Bio, Chem and another of your choice (Maybe a language, or humanity, as some unis like the variety)
This keeps you on track.
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
dont cash in your AS maths, starting this september maths is a 2 year course so just start it alongside chem and bio- helps you focus on chem and bio AS as youve already learnt the maths content
username1753569
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
dont cash in your AS maths, starting this september maths is a 2 year course so just start it alongside chem and bio- helps you focus on chem and bio AS as youve already learnt the maths content
Wouldn't this be counted as essentially retaking all 3 modules again? If OP's hoping to go to oxbridge, or even a top russell group retaking the whole AS wouldn't look good surely?
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wouldn't this be counted as essentially retaking all 3 modules again? If OP's hoping to go to oxbridge, or even a top russell group retaking the whole AS wouldn't look good surely?
No, its a new linear A level so there will be no more AS modules- he has probably made it worse for himself by doing AS maths tbh in yr 11
username1753569
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
No, its a new linear A level so there will be no more AS modules- he has probably made it worse for himself by doing AS maths tbh in yr 11
Ah yeah I've heard about the new spec, with coursework too (gross).
He's made it far too complex, those smart kids who take AS exams during GCSEs lol
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah yeah I've heard about the new spec, with coursework too (gross).
He's made it far too complex, those smart kids who take AS exams during GCSEs lol
Congratulations, he played himself- sometimes it pays to stick to the system
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?