Could I get into Oxford? Watch

Jordy24700
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm thinking about applying for an undergraduate course in Computer Science, but I'm not sure if my GCSEs will be good enough to get accepted.

I have 2 A*s in Maths and Further Maths and 7 As, but have a C in English Language.

I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics in Year 12. I have been getting consistent A*s in mock tests.

Provided I get predicted an A in my Physics and get 2 A*s predicted for Maths, will my GCSEs hold me back?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jordy24700)
I'm thinking about applying for an undergraduate course in Computer Science, but I'm not sure if my GCSEs will be good enough to get accepted.

I have 2 A*s in Maths and Further Maths and 7 As, but have a C in English Language.

I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics in Year 12. I have been getting consistent A*s in mock tests.

Provided I get predicted an A in my Physics and get 2 A*s predicted for Maths, will my GCSEs hold me back?
The MAT is more important than your GCSEs for CompSci at Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's been a lot of discussion on this - a search should turn-up the answer (I don't personally know the current situation).

You will need to take the Mathematics Admissions Test. The result from that is very important for getting an interview. I would expect that a good result would outweigh some other aspects of your application. Good luck.
Jordy24700
Rep:
?
Cheers for giving me reassurance, I thought that the MAT was looked at the same as GCSEs, but I guess if I do really well, my GCSEs won't make much of a difference. But my C in English still worries me, will that in any way damage my application?
JickDee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have been told by Oxford that 1 A* at GCSE is equivalent to around 2 marks on the MAT.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cheers for giving me reassurance, I thought that the MAT was looked at the same as GCSEs, but I guess if I do really well, my GCSEs won't make much of a difference. But my C in English still worries me, will that in any way damage my application?
Tagging gavinlowe for his professional view (he's a CompSci tutor at Oxford).

Also he can confirm the relative weighting of GCSEs and the MAT.

RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're worried, you can always ask them ([email protected] ac.uk).
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's no harm in applying, 1 choice out 5 is worth the shot even if the chances are slim.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JickDee)
I have been told by Oxford that 1 A* at GCSE is equivalent to around 2 marks on the MAT.
(Original post by RogerOxon)
If you're worried, you can always ask them ([email protected] ac.uk).
Jordy24700

I found the post that gives the weighted combination of the MAT score and GCSE A* scores.
(NB. This is CompSci specific)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2&postcount=22
Check the post and the follow-up comments
gavinlowe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Tagging gavinlowe for his professional view (he's a CompSci tutor at Oxford).

Also he can confirm the relative weighting of GCSEs and the MAT.

Thanks for the tag.

The weighting varies from year to year, based on the standard deviation of the MAT marks. And every now and then, we re-run the statistical analysis, and decide slightly different parameters give a better prediction. But typically, each A* at GCSE is worth about the same as two marks on the MAT.

OP: your GCSEs are below those of most successful candidates, so you will have to do somewhat better in the MAT in order to be invited for interview. However, that's very much attainable. And you shouldn't worry about the C in English. Also, it's worth noting that we have quite a wide discretionary band, where tutors look at other aspects, such as contextual information, in deciding whom to shortlist.

Gavin
Jordy24700
Rep:
?
Does having your secondary school under the national average, living in a postcode that scored 2 in the POLAR3 rankings and having a low income count as contextual information? Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess Oxford is worth a shot now I look at it.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does having your secondary school under the national average, living in a postcode that scored 2 in the POLAR3 rankings and having a low income count as contextual information? Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess Oxford is worth a shot now I look at it.
Yes.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...al-data?wssl=1
Kaynine_ghrap
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

If this helps, I got 7As and 1B in GCSE and also got 42 in my MAT. I got ABBB in my first year of A Levels but I still got an Offer for Oxford to study Maths. Trust me, you have a good chance of getting in.
Just apply, make sure your personal statement bangs, do your best in the MAT, and bang out your interview. I can honestly say, my interview was what got me in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads