Why is the media attacking Tim Farron for his personal opinions?

Watch
Trapz99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It's clear that the media has fallen into the trap of political correctness by attacking a politician for refusing to immediately declare that gay sex is great and not sinful. At the end of the day, he has no policies to do with homosexuality so his views on gay relationships and gay sex are irrelevant. Yet the media has constantly attacked and criticised him for not immediately going along with the gay agenda. Sad
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I bet he enjoys a good fisting on the quiet.
theboss1738
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thats the role of the media, to make the world seem :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because drama gives views and criticising someone massively gets a lot of views.
CR431
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because he's not left.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Homophobia has no place in our society, his views should be criticised.
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You are allowed to think being gay is a sin. As a feminist, I see no problem in him saying that, as long as he wouldn't create laws discriminating against homosexuals.
SublimeArchon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
What if someone dressed up as a Nazi in private?

Things people do or think in private hint at what they'd like to do in public.
That is a terrible analogy, what if people dressed up as a pirate in private. Also he can't actually put forward policy without people's approval (not that he is in any position to do so yet). Since the masses don't agree with being a Nazi I don't see how they would have any power in creating policy aimed at being a Nazi.
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The media don't report facts anymore, they report opinions. Even the BBC News is not real news....it is their politically biased slant on the news. They are all as bad as each other.
Icomethrough
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because being Liberal means tolerating the views and opinions of everyone

Unless they disagree with me
MeYou2Night
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No idea as if he was a Muslim they wouldn't dare criticise him as that would be racist and islamophobic wouldn't it?

Although I believe that his views towards homosexuals is wrong, I will defend him as for some reason it's okay to be anti-Christian, but being anti-Islam seems to be the worst thing you can ever do and some think it shouldn't be illegal to criticise Islam.
Saoirse:3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because he's not just a private citizen, he's standing for election to represent the public. Holding a viewpoint which is, to the say the least, critical of many voters' is extremely relevant. Just as the media took interest when Emily Thornberry seemed to be condescending towards someone's patriotic display of English flags, they take interest when the Lib Dem leader appears critical of LGB people. If elected it's his job to represent them fairly and equally, and this calls into question his ability to do that.
Trapz99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Meany Pie)
Homophobia has no place in our society, his views should be criticised.
Homophobia is the hatred and fear of gay people. Believing that homosexual sex and relationships are wrong isn't hateful. Attacking gay people is hateful. Refusing to say that it is not a sin certainly isn't hateful.

A politician's policies are what matters. Tim Farron has consistently voted in favour of gay rights legislation.
(Original post by richpanda)
You are allowed to think being gay is a sin. As a feminist, I see no problem in him saying that, as long as he wouldn't create laws discriminating against homosexuals.
Exactly, and he has a track record of voting for gay rights legislation.
(Original post by MeYou2Night)
No idea as if he was a Muslim they wouldn't dare criticise him as that would be racist and islamophobic wouldn't it?

Although I believe that his views towards homosexuals is wrong, I will defend him as for some reason it's okay to be anti-Christian, but being anti-Islam seems to be the worst thing you can ever do and some think it shouldn't be illegal to criticise Islam.
Yeah I agree. It seems that discrimination against Christians is acceptable by the mainstream media whereas anything even mentioning Islam is avoided.
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
Because he's not just a private citizen, he's standing for election to represent the public. Holding a viewpoint which is, to the say the least, critical of many voters' is extremely relevant. Just as the media took interest when Emily Thornberry seemed to be condescending towards someone's patriotic display of English flags, they take interest when the Lib Dem leader appears critical of LGB people. If elected it's his job to represent them fairly and equally, and this calls into question his ability to do that.
He has voted for gay rights legislation. He has stated that politicians should keep their religious views out of legislation. Many Christians believe that gay rights are a grey area which they are unsure about. Tim Farron's views should be personal as he clearly doesn't want to talk about them. He shouldn't be bullied by the media into saying 'Yes having gay sex is fine' if that contradicts his religious beliefs. As long as he keeps his views out of his politics he shouldn't be criticised for feeling a certain way about homosexuality.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Trapz99)
Homophobia is the hatred and fear of gay people. Believing that homosexual sex and relationships are wrong isn't hateful. Attacking gay people is hateful. Refusing to say that it is not a sin certainly isn't hateful.

A politician's policies are what matters. Tim Farron has consistently voted in favour of gay rights legislation.

Yeah I agree. It seems that discrimination against Christians is acceptable by the mainstream media whereas anything even mentioning Islam is avoided.

He has voted for gay rights legislation. He has stated that politicians should keep their religious views out of legislation. Many Christians believe that gay rights are a grey area which they are unsure about. It seems to me that some people will automocally attack anyone who isn't prepared to accept the gay rights agenda.

Well yes, I will criticise them, because I'm queer and I like having rights. It's also untrue that he votes for gay rights legislation - he abstained on marriage equality, voted against the bill on it even being given a debate in parliament and he voted against anti-discrimination protections for gay people. He's voted against letting same-sex couples adopt, and against two-women couples being able to access IVF. I know he's expressed different opinions since becoming leader, but for me actions speak louder than words and I don't trust him to represent queer people fairly and act as our representative in Parliament. His personal views undoubtedly tie into that and it's perfectly legitimate to raise that point.
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

He has voted for gay rights legislation. He has stated that politicians should keep their religious views out of legislation. Many Christians believe that gay rights are a grey area which they are unsure about. Tim Farron's views should be personal as he clearly doesn't want to talk about them. He shouldn't be bullied by the media into saying 'Yes having gay sex is fine' if that contradicts his religious beliefs. As long as he keeps his views out of his politics he shouldn't be criticised for feeling a certain way about homosexuality.
Have you got a copy of his track record?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, you can ignore the part of the article I linked where he promised to make his first opposition day bill about repealing the ban on gay people giving blood. He was lying. He made it about housing policy instead.
E102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by richpanda)
You can't be a feminist and be against homosexuality
E102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nutz99)
The media don't report facts anymore, they report opinions. Even the BBC News is not real news....it is their politically biased slant on the news. They are all as bad as each other.
Do you think the BBC are a left or right wing outlet?
Meany Pie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
Also, you can ignore the part of the article I linked where he promised to make his first opposition day bill about repealing the ban on gay people giving blood. He was lying. He made it about housing policy instead.
That is what the lib dems do, promise one thing a do another. I don't need to break out Nick Clegg - I'm Sorry Remix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2965904
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It has been mentioned a number of times before, and it is presumably so that the Lib Dem supporters switch to someone else, given that I suspect in general their supporters are less likely to be anti-gay than the other two main parties.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads