The Student Room Group

Direct Line black box limitations?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by STUDENT.123
since its a plug and go, maybe you can plug it into another HOUSEHOLD car like a siblings or parents who are just smoother and more gentle drivers, it has to be a household car though as they can see where you have parked at the end of your drive home. Home must stay as home or they can cancel policy.

That would render your insurance policy void.
Original post by Jackieox
you're likely to get a lower score driving late at night

WTF? I work nights so most of my driving is done so at night. The roads are mostly empty and therefore much safer. Why would that lower you're score? Is it because the sky is black? Well some people are black too, does insurance penalise them aswell?
Original post by Laomedeia
WTF? I work nights so most of my driving is done so at night. The roads are mostly empty and therefore much safer. Why would that lower you're score? Is it because the sky is black? Well some people are black too, does insurance penalise them aswell?

That's a ridiculous analogy.
Reply 63
Original post by nevershear

You should see some of their other posts...
Original post by IWMTom
You should see some of their other posts...

Although it's funny he should mention that, there was a news post a little while back about a fella who was getting higher quotes when he put his name in as Mohammed.
Original post by IWMTom
That would render your insurance policy void.

yes true if they find out ,, thats why i said its messy better to pay up the extra
Reply 66
Original post by STUDENT.123
yes true if they find out ,, thats why i said its messy better to pay up the extra

You have no choice.
Original post by nevershear

Ridiculous? In what way? Less traffic generally means less hazards. I drive a bit slower to compensate for lower visibility but overall I feel much safer on the roads at night. I don't need statistics on this one.
:') this is an old thread but for anyone browsing I thought I'd add. I'm 25 I've always had a Black box, some are better than others. The boxes do not record your speed, they detect your acceleration and breaking. I am with direct line and it comes with a handy app which shows you a map of where these took place. It's always obvious, when I did a harsh overtake or broke suddenly. It makes me drive safer, I break earlier now. A few incidents where it is not your fault will not have a big impact. It's all the regular, little mistakes from sloppy driving. On DL you can keep track of your score so there's no excuse for having a rubbish one, you can be like 'oh I've got another 30 days this quarter to raise my score'I used one in my old job too when working late at night and it didn't seem to mind. I prefer direct line to admiral as the information provided is clearer. If you are a young/new driver your quotes will be crap, mine are always above £1,000. A Black box reduces them to £700 and if you drive safely they will continue to offer you these prices. If not you will be offered the 'normal' prices for a young inexperienced driver. Admiral did hike my prices extortionately after 2 years to £1,400 so I moved to direct line for £700. That's just insurers for you. 26 seems to be the point where the normal quotes get more sensible. However I've saved £500/year for 4 years so yes definitely go for it and enjoy the discounts. Don't underestimate your mileage. Call them on the phone and say
I’m a bit late to the party here, but talking as a directline black box user, I can confirm the box is nowhere near as bad as others, it doesn’t track your mileage, doesn’t have a curfew, and is extremely lenient to speeding and braking. Clearly people shaming on this thread have never used the box with directline
Reply 70
Original post by Ollie4536
I’m a bit late to the party here, but talking as a directline black box user, I can confirm the box is nowhere near as bad as others, it doesn’t track your mileage, doesn’t have a curfew, and is extremely lenient to speeding and braking. Clearly people shaming on this thread have never used the box with directline

All boxes monitor your mileage - if you go over, expect a cancellation.
Na the directline box only monitors each individual journey, not the cumulative total, therefore you give them a predicted mileage just like with normal insurance
Original post by IWMTom
All boxes monitor your mileage - if you go over, expect a cancellation.
Reply 72
Original post by Ollie4536
Na the directline box only monitors each individual journey, not the cumulative total, therefore you give them a predicted mileage just like with normal insurance

Sorry to burst your bubble mate, but if you go too far over you'll get a cancellation.
Why would Directline not be monitoring the running total at their end? What possible benefit would that be to them?
well, the answer is all on their policy documents if anyone is bothered to read. But as someone whos renewing their insurance, I've had a terrible experience with Smrt More Than blackbox policy and It got to a point where idc im not getting a blackbox again. however im lucky enough that my policy without blackbox with direct line is cheaper than my first years insurance (£1700 with more than[cheapest at the time]) These idiots are counting my mileage to every last mile, I got 3 warnings on my first 3 months just because I drove 10mph over the limit to overtake some slow drivers on the dual carriageways. Then I thought f***k this, i'd only drive my car on urban conditions only so I wont get a cancellation for my next warning. I know every insurer is different, but More than are complete p***ks. The real answer to this insurance topic is if youre working or if mommy and daddy are funding. if mommy and daddy are funding, good luck with the blackbox insurance cuz u have no choice unless if u do the quotes and deceive them. but if youre working, you get a constant stream of money. if you already saved up grands just to buy a car, whats the problem in spending that extra few hundred of pounds to get an insurance policy where u can drive however you want, wherever you want, for as long as you want. Is just 2 months worth of salary and waiting worth it? If you dont trust us, learn it the hard way then.on normal policies they dont care if u do 5000 miles when u bought the policy telling them 4000 miles. But they will definitely care if you do 100000 miles.Other than that, thats how the couple of extra hundreds of pounds will save your life from misery only if youre working or you manage to deceive your parents. case solved.
Best black box i ever had!, Not sensative to acceleration and braking im currently on the gold scheme for good driving however i mainly do motorway driving. Cheepest and best insurer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending