The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Need help!! ...Undergraduate degree on Applied Computing

Hi, guys!
I'm an 18 years old Italian student, and I'm very close to getting my High school diploma (in IT and Telecommunications) at the end of June and I'm a bit worried about what I'm gonna do next.
Since I really like the UK (especially Scotland), I simply searched for a university that could fit my needs in that special area.
Two years ago I found the University of Dundee as one of the best in ratings and also one of the more advanced university in the way the teaching is structured.
By the way, now that my "long trip" in the High school in Italy is coming to an end,
I started questioning myself about how I could economically sustain me once I get there.
In fact, even if the Scottish government would pay the university fees, I (at least according to the university ) would still have to spend around 500-700 pounds to sustain myself and to enjoy the social life in the city of Dundee.
Since my parents don't really want to pay this amount of money every month, I would probably be forced to find a part-time job, but I would still have a problem since I would have to get the NIN to work and to get the NIN I would have to wait some time ...and thus I could waste an entire year...especially considering that I still have to pass some exams to obtain my driving license.
What do you think I would have to do?....Would be a problem to waste a year of study?...
Reply 1
The estimate on the Dundee Uni website is just that, an estimate. If it includes rent, which I think it does, then it would slightly lower than that. I myself only spent that amount of money (including rent) in my first year at Dundee as I was living in halls, which is incredibly expensive. (So you could cut down on the amount by not living in halls?)

If you are willing to live frugal and wait until your national insurance number comes through, then yes, you will be ok. Are you getting any sort of maintence loans/grants from either the UK or Italy?
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
I don't know ...(apart from the first months)from Italy I will get around 200-300 pounds..in short the bare minimum to survive....And in UK I don't know anyone that could give me economical support...
The fact is that I have some of my aunts living in Canada (in Toronto) and they could surely give me economical support and even a place to stay.... But as ai said before I like Scotland and especially this University ..And I don't know how I would feel in Canada ...Also I don't like the University of Toronto..Since it doesn't have the faculty that I want...So ...I'm a bit confused
Reply 3
Original post by mikired100
I don't know ...(apart from the first months)from Italy I will get around 200-300 pounds..in short the bare minimum to survive....And in UK I don't know anyone that could give me economical support...
The fact is that I have some of my aunts living in Canada (in Toronto) and they could surely give me economical support and even a place to stay.... But as ai said before I like Scotland and especially this University ..And I don't know how I would feel in Canada ...Also I don't like the University of Toronto..Since it doesn't have the faculty that I want...So ...I'm a bit confused

It might be best to take a gap year and work, as it is always a good idea to have additional funds before coming to uni. I don't think you are eligible for any of the bursaries at Dundee, which don't get paid until the end of November anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
It might be best to take a gap year and work, as it is always a good idea to have additional funds before coming to uni. I don't think you are eligible for any of the bursaries at Dundee, which don't get paid until the end of November anyway.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest