The Student Room Group

Going to medicine interviews with Afro hair/braids/dreadlocks

Hi guys!
I am applying to medicine this October, and if I am not mistaken they hold interviews a month or two later.
Anyways I am a black girl who's main hairstyle is single plaits (waistlength). And I have never thought about this until now, but when I turn up for interviews for medicine (hopefully I get some) will I have a disadvantage due to my hairstyle?
In this society Afro kinky, dreadlocks and single plaits are sometimes judged and I love my culture and therefore enjoy my single plaits with no issues, but I wonder if it would be a problem.
I know that there are a lot of ignorant people who have no clue about the subconscious and sometimes conscious discrimination that occurs on a regular basis.
Do you think it will affect my chances of getting an offer?

Ps. I know this may be tricky to answer and all opinions are open - I'm asking to get honest answers. Thank you x
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Personally I would not discriminate if I was on the interview board but I can see where you are coming from.
I would say as long as it's not messy looking then I would like to say you are fine. However it all depends on the interviewer on the day.
Reply 3
I understand why you would be concerned and I genuinely think that is something people may subconsciously discriminate against.

I don't want to be like DO THIS - or anything, but maybe tying it up in a bun or something like that which makes it look a bit 'neater' may help.

Sorry if this came across rude!
Reply 4
Original post by mrhedgehog
Personally I would not discriminate if I was on the interview board but I can see where you are coming from.
I would say as long as it's not messy looking then I would like to say you are fine. However it all depends on the interviewer on the day.

Thanks for your response
Reply 5
Original post by leoq8
I understand why you would be concerned and I genuinely think that is something people may subconsciously discriminate against.

I don't want to be like DO THIS - or anything, but maybe tying it up in a bun or something like that which makes it look a bit 'neater' may help.

Sorry if this came across rude!

No not rude at all. Thanks for the input!
Original post by pfdavina
Hi guys!
I am applying to medicine this October, and if I am not mistaken they hold interviews a month or two later.
Anyways I am a black girl who's main hairstyle is single plaits (waistlength). And I have never thought about this until now, but when I turn up for interviews for medicine (hopefully I get some) will I have a disadvantage due to my hairstyle?
In this society Afro kinky, dreadlocks and single plaits are sometimes judged and I love my culture and therefore enjoy my single plaits with no issues, but I wonder if it would be a problem.
I know that there are a lot of ignorant people who have no clue about the subconscious and sometimes conscious discrimination that occurs on a regular basis.

Ps. I know this may be tricky to answer and all opinions are open - I'm asking to get honest answers. Thank you x

I really hope that we have moved to a point where as a society we don't hold such prejudices or discriminate based on such things.

As long as you look neat and well presented I believe it shouldn't effect your chances. I know it wouldn't impact my view on a person.

Go as you feel most comfortable and hopefully you'll do just fine on merit alone. Good luck
Reply 7
lol imagine, if your applying to the type of school that will look at you funny because of braids, not even Afro kinky hair that will look messy, that's not the school for you.

Not even being salty but braids aren't messy and if you feel like you might be at a disadvantage because of them, you need to look into yourself and the uni tbh.
Reply 8
I really get what you mean. Maybe have your braids in a bun to have like a formal hairstyle. You could also try checking online for videos and posts of black people that had interviews at Oxford with braids/afro/locs and how their experience was.
Original post by Fannon
lol imagine, if your applying to the type of school that will look at you funny because of braids, not even Afro kinky hair that will look messy, that's not the school for you.

Not even being salty but braids aren't messy and if you feel like you might be at a disadvantage because of them, you need to look into yourself and the uni tbh.

I agree 100% , why would you want to attend a school where they would discriminate against your hairstyle especially one which holds a lot of cultural significance and in my opinion is both nice and neat.

I'd rather have them reject me and miss out on such a awful place and culture.
Reply 10
Original post by Fannon

There are is only a portion of uni's that do medicine - in London, so that already limits my options.
From my top 3 uni's I don't get that type of vibe, but as a woc you have to think about all these things because although they seem silly it can be a reality.
This is not a question about the culture in the uni but more so people's subconscious racism.
Reply 11
There are is only a portion of uni's that do medicine - in London, so that already limits my options.
From my top 3 uni's I don't get that type of vibe, but as a woc you have to think about all these things because although they seem silly it can be a reality.
This is not a question about the culture in the uni but more so people's subconscious racism.

I get you so much not gonna lie. It is silly but a fact I remember one girl calling it 'playing the game'. Just look neat but don't let your fear of subconscious racism limit you because then they're winning.
Hi guys!

I've reported this thread to be moved by the CT into a more suitable location

if you are smartly turned out then there is no reason why the interviewers would hold your ethnic hair style against you.
it's all about the grades, not the braids :h:

good luck.

You're right however subconscious individual racism is what feeds culture.

Anyhow if you are neat and well presented I don't believe you will suffer for it. London is a diverse place and people appreciate that about each other.
No matter what hairstyle you sport, it shouldn't (note the 'ideal' case I'm referring to) affect your chances, no.
In reality? Probably won't either. Many people with diverse races, cultures and dialects get in, especially at those Unis with more of a 'multicultural + international' set of students (e.g. UCL, LSE, Kings, etc)

Dw about it. You'll be great :smile:
If you felt like they did hold this against you then I'd definitely be suing them, but for real, there is no need for you to change your hair to impress them. You should be able to wear your hair however you like. Afro hair is beautiful braided or not, how you do your hair should have no effect on your application.:h:

If you think about it even when you are a doctor would you permanently ditch the braids? If you like and rock it, stick with it. :smile:
I don't think they'll care. But then again I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

It's a sad reflection of our society how this is even a concern. My bet is that they won't give a crap if you smash the interview.
Reply 18
Original post by BrainyBengali
No matter what hairstyle you sport, it shouldn't (note the 'ideal' case I'm referring to) affect your chances, no.
In reality? Probably won't either. Many people with diverse races, cultures and dialects get in, especially at those Unis with more of a 'multicultural + international' set of students (e.g. UCL, LSE, Kings, etc)

Dw about it. You'll be great :smile:

Yes I think you are right. Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by pairofjeans
I don't think they'll care. But then again I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

It's a sad reflection of our society how this is even a concern. My bet is that they won't give a crap if you smash the interview.

It is sad that I have to think about these things. But I'm feeling quite confident about the interviews (even though they are so far away).
Thanks for your input x
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest