Leicester Medical school or Hull-York Medical school Watch

This discussion is closed.
diamond1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I have two offers to study medicine at Hull-york and Leicester. I need to firm one of the two but I am struggling quite a bit. I made a pros and cons list for each and it mainly simmers down to this: the medical course at Hull-York is of a much higher quality than in Leicester. However, Leicester (as a city) is a lot cheaper and with loads more to do.

So would you pick a high quality course (keeping in mind that I don't really like the fact that I would change cities after 2 years if I chose Hull-York) or a really nice city?

Also, does anyone one which university has better opportunities for e.g. building up a good portfolio for future employment?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
emm4l0uise
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im not actually a med student, although it is the area I am looking into most, I do however live in Leicester and have been to a number of open days and medical events at their school of medicine. The city its self is cheap, friendly and very conveniently situated in regards to the medical school and the school is a brand new build with really good facilities, there is a building close by in which the dissections take place which may be something to consider as some medical schools don't offer full body dissection like Leicester do.

Despite leaving I the city already I think Leicester is currently my top choice for the reasons listed above, unfortunately I can't offer much insight on Hull-York. Where ever you go it will be down to what you make of it, if you go in with a negative feel for the place then that is something you will carry forward for the rest of the course, so wherever you chose to go make sure you stay positive.
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by diamond1998)
Hi!

I have two offers to study medicine at Hull-york and Leicester. I need to firm one of the two but I am struggling quite a bit. I made a pros and cons list for each and it mainly simmers down to this: the medical course at Hull-York is of a much higher quality than in Leicester. However, Leicester (as a city) is a lot cheaper and with loads more to do.

So would you pick a high quality course (keeping in mind that I don't really like the fact that I would change cities after 2 years if I chose Hull-York) or a really nice city?

Also, does anyone one which university has better opportunities for e.g. building up a good portfolio for future employment?

Hi there!

Congratulations for receiving both offers - that's great!

Remember that there's no such thing as a 'better' medical school, as all result in GMC-approved degrees, so it's best to choose the place you'd be happiest - whether the course you study means more to you, or a city you'd love to live in.

We have a Hull York student case study here, which you might find useful to get an idea of what studying there is like.

You could also have a look at the Complete University Guide's medical school rankings here to get an idea of student satisfaction, research quality etc.

Hope this helps - good luck!
The Medic Portal
chem234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by diamond1998)
Hi!

What GCSES did you get and what ukcat score did you get? and what band?

ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by chem234)
Please don't bump old threads. The person you quoted has not been online since April 2017 and they are unlikely to return.

Make a new thread if you have any specific enquries.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads