The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

How is social life, lifestyle and employability at QMUL?

I have an offer from Queen Mary University and another from SOAS, I'd like to know how QMUL compares to other more central London universities. I currently live in East London so I'd be living at home which is not a problem. However I'm concerned that I won't get a change of scene or a chance to meet a wider variety of people at QMUL.

What is it like on and around campus?
How is social life within the uni and with other london unis?
How does QMUL employability and social life compare to SOAS?
Reply 1
I had this question too and I reached out to one of my old school mates who went there for Law.
He said that the uni has excellent teaching but it does lack a bit in the social aspect, which can make some newbies quite isolated. As you're in London already, you may not have this issue.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Siana22
I had this question too and I reached out to one of my old school mates who went there for Law.
He said that the uni has excellent teaching but it does lack a bit in the social aspect, which can make some newbies quite isolated. As you're in London already, you may not have this issue.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the social aspect? Im hoping to study at QMUL in September and I dont know anyone in London, none of my friends are moving to London so Im scared I'll find it difficult to make friends
Reply 3
Original post by Lucas_Wojtysiak
Can you tell me a little bit more about the social aspect? Im hoping to study at QMUL in September and I dont know anyone in London, none of my friends are moving to London so Im scared I'll find it difficult to make friends

Well, I can't tell you to much as I haven't started my year there yet but I can certainly tell you about what I know and about the area.
A lot of people have trouble with London and making friends, especially when it comes to university. Luckily, QMUL is one of the only campus unis in London which means all lectures, seminars, courses (etc) will be in one location. You'll therefore cross the same people numerous times per day, making the uni feel more of a community. I've been to the campus (the one in Mile End) and there are plenty of places to sit and relax both outside and inside.
In addition, to help foster this feeling of unity, QMUL also runs a bunch of societies where you will meet like-minded people. The societies range from recreational and sportive to academic related societies. (You can find the link for last years societies here: https://www.qmsu.org/societies/findme/ )
In addition If you are applying to student halls, then you will likely be sharing kitchens with flatmates. Most student accommodation organize "nights" for residents to meet each other and make new friends.

Lastly, I find that joining forums like this one, and/or QMUL's social media pages helps "meet" people beforehand and appeases the uni jitters.

Hope this helped a tiny bit. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending