Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok I got a bit of a shock yesterday when I only got an E for my History Coursework, especially as I thought that it was quite good.

I've attatched it to this post, so that hopefully some Historians around can tell me why it was quite so shite.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc HISTORY CRSEWRK.doc (36.0 KB, 1487 views)

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

my history cw mark went down, it was marked internally but when moderated by stupid ol' edexel they decided to lower the mark :s oh well still got my grades though...oh yeah one of my friends got an E for her econimics paper in jan then had the script sent back and they had recorded her results wrong and she'd actually got an A! Maybe you should ask your school/college for advice, its gotta be worth it incase they've screwed up (*again*)

ReputationRep:
    my coursework mark went up from a B (internal marking) to an A (OCR marking). dead chuffed.

ReputationRep:
    I got full marks in my A2 history coursework, like I did for my AS coursework.

Yay!!

ReputationRep:
    the question was a analytical question "to what extent...?", you put in WAY too much description. You needed to examine both sides of the argument, rather than just describe the events. I didn't think it was that bad though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wise One)
    the question was a analytical question "to what extent...?", you put in WAY too much description. You needed to examine both sides of the argument, rather than just describe the events. I didn't think it was that bad though.
    Aye but I thought it did have both sides of the argument.

Allied air dominance and excellent planning against poor German Command Structure and Poor Nazi tactics etc.

I couldn't believe it when I got an E.

ReputationRep:
    there is no use of historical material...footnotes and references are essential to high marks in unit 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joka85)
    there is no use of historical material...footnotes and references are essential to high marks in unit 6
    Oh yeah right sorry this was my second final version, the final version which I did at school had all the footnotes on, 30 in all, from 10 different relevant sources.

ReputationRep:
    No, not like that.

To what extent were German mistakes the main reason for Allied success in the D-Day landings?

PARAGRAPH 1 should have been an introduction with a definition of "German mistakes"- quite a vague concept, and "Allied success". Also you would need a BRIEF description/explanation of what happened.

PARAGRAPH 2 would be the arguments that German mistakes were the main reason for Allied success in the D-Day landings...

PARAGRAPHs 3, 4 and 5 would examine other reasons/explanations

PARAGRAPH 6 would explain why German mistakes were/weren't more important than the other reasons, and conclude the essay.

The question itself would have been better if it had been "To what extent did <insert specific type of error here> on the part of the German forces allow the D-day landings to succeed? The fact that you wrote "...main reason..." indicated that there were many others that they would have expected you to write about.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry, I posted the wrong draft. The one attatched here was my final one.
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: doc Final Draft1.doc (37.0 KB, 130 views)

ReputationRep:
    So no budding historians out there who want to tell me where I've gone wrong?

ReputationRep:
    which board are you? OCR gave me a U for my c/w. The only reason I can think of is that maybe they didnt like the tone of it because i dealt with holocaust revisionism. And i didnt put footnotes. I just quoted the origin of my info under all my sources. My teachers are gonna get a remark, they seem assured it'll go up to a respectable mark. According to my head of year the usual case with remarks for c/w is that the board actually dont bother to remark it and just give a grade similiar to that of the other module results. Get your board to re-mark it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am OCR.

ReputationRep:
    kingslaw and symun would you be kind enough to post your essays so that i can get an idea of what examiners want and what a top grade piece of coursework is like. I really struggle with history and i'd like to try and learn from reading your essays what i need to aim for to get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'd be more than happy to send you my coursework. However, I'd rather send it to you in an email as I dont particuarily like the idea of posting my examined work on a public forum (plaguarism and all that!!). So if you give me your email address in a PM, then I'll send it to you as soon as possible.

I assume its my A2 coursework you want (if you want more help I can send you my AS coursework, which was also full-marks).

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've added some comments in blue on your draft. Sorry if some of them are a bit harsh. Although the opening was rubbish (sorry) its actually a good essay.

Are there two general schools of thought i.e. one which says German mistakes were vital and one which says they were irrelevent?

Let me know what you think about the comments and I'll have another look once you've added them.

It isn't an E grade though, more like high C. It could easily be a high A though.
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: doc Commented final draft.doc (34.0 KB, 116 views)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=boris]one of my friends got an E for her econimics paper in jan then had the script sent back and they had recorded her results wrong and she'd actually got an A! Maybe you should ask your school/college for advice, its gotta be worth it incase they've screwed up (*again*)[/QUOTE

I was a bit disappointed with my history mark i think i scraped a D on both papers, but got a C. It was strange because i came out the most confident in that exam. What made it even worse is that this guy in my history class who isn't exactly 'gifted' at history managed to get a B :mad: put into context, he got 2Es and U for all his other exams:confused:

i've asked for a copy of my history paper back. Could it be possible that they under-marked it? (i did AQA)

ReputationRep:
    Hey Maria.

I've given up on email!!! I'll just post it on here instead. Could you do me a big favour and tell me when you've downloaded it so I can take it off.

I really hope all this was worth it for you!!! If you have any questions, or need any advice/tips, don't hesitate to drop me an email or a PM and I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Hope you enjoy

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.