GeorgeT97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi

I just wanted to ask a question with regards to the difference between sending your UCAS application in December and sending it off in January.

How much sooner (in weeks and days) do you reckon I would receive my first decision from a university if I submitted my UCAS application on the 12th December than a month later on 9th January?

George Thornton
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GeorgeT97)
Hi

I just wanted to ask a question with regards to the difference between sending your UCAS application in December and sending it off in January.

How much sooner (in weeks and days) do you reckon I would receive my first decision from a university if I submitted my UCAS application on the 12th December than a month later on 9th January?

George Thornton
It's impossible to say.

Some unis wait until after the deadline before sending any offers - so you could apply to 5 choices that do this, and still end up waiting the same time.
Some unis only give early offers to the exceptional applicants - so you'll still end up waiting the same amount of time.
Some unis will have broken up over Christmas and won't look at your application before January anyway.
GeorgeT97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
It's impossible to say.

Some unis wait until after the deadline before sending any offers - so you could apply to 5 choices that do this, and still end up waiting the same time.
Some unis only give early offers to the exceptional applicants - so you'll still end up waiting the same amount of time.
Some unis will have broken up over Christmas and won't look at your application before January anyway.
But for the unis that are first come first served, my UCAS application will be closer to the top of pile if sent in December than in January. Especially since an exceptional high number of students leave submitting their applications as late as January. So I reckon I would get my first offer 3 weeks earlier than someone who submitted theirs in January. Would you agree?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But for the unis that are first come first served, my UCAS application will be closer to the top of pile if sent in December than in January. Especially since an exceptional high number of students leave submitting their applications as late as January. So I reckon I would get my first offer 3 weeks earlier than someone who submitted theirs in January. Would you agree?
when you take into account university shut for up to three weeks for christmas that is unlikely.
GeorgeT97
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
when you take into account university shut for up to three weeks for christmas that is unlikely.
What if I sent my application in the 1st week of December, E.g. 1st December?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What if I sent my application in the 1st week of December, E.g. 1st December?
if you can send it earlier then no reason not to, but there's no guarantee that you'd get an offer earlier than someone who submitted it on time.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A lot of students will apply during December and early January, though. So submitting one day later doesn't mean you'll get the offer one day later - in that day, the uni could have received so many applications that it will take them a week to review them all.

So you should stop worrying about this and just submit your UCAS application when you're ready. Don't rush it, but don't delay it.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi

George Thornton
(Original post by Juno)
So you should stop worrying about this and just submit your UCAS application when you're ready. Don't rush it, but don't delay it.
100% this.

Some people sending their application in October don't receive their decisions until March (or even later). Some people sending theirs in January hear back within a few days. Some people sending in early December may hear back from a few of their choices but other choices may not respond until March (or later).

Just send it when it's ready - but not at the last minute.

And what does it matter when you get an offer anyway? In the same way you shouldn't rush to send your application, you also don't need to rush to make your Firm/Insurance choices. Many, many times we see people on TSR who decided early and then realise they want to change their decision - sometimes for unforeseen circumstances.

There's no rush, but don't be late
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (373)
56.34%
I don't have everything I need (289)
43.66%

Watched Threads