Need help explaining why transition metal complexes are coloured

Watch
CaptainJackFail
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Explain why [CuCl4]^2- is coloured yellow.
So the mark scheme states:
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 535
Size:  46.9 KBHow would I go about forming a sentence on the last point?
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CaptainJackFail)
Explain why [CuCl4]^2- is coloured yellow.
So the mark scheme states:
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 535
Size:  46.9 KBHow would I go about forming a sentence on the last point?
1) Compounds of transition metals do not reflect all light wavelengths and absorb some which causes "these compounds to be coloured" / "Specific colour to specific compound" and
2) The flame test colours are produced by oxidation or reduction that releases a de broglie wavelength of visible light.
CaptainJackFail
Rep:
?
This is what I'm thinking;

Cucl4^2-, Cu^2+ ion contains an incompletely filled d subshell which can be then be split by the attached ligands into two different energy levels.

When white light is passed through CuCl4^2- , electrons absorb some of the energy in the light to move from lower to higher energy levels.

Eventually, the electrons will move back to a lower energy level, emitting photons of certain wavelength and frequency that corresponds to the color yellow.
Some one
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is what I'm thinking;

Cucl4^2-, Cu^2+ ion contains an incompletely filled d subshell which can be then be split by the attached ligands into two different energy levels.

When white light is passed through CuCl4^2- , electrons absorb some of the energy in the light to move from lower to higher energy levels.

Eventually, the electrons will move back to a lower energy level, emitting photons of certain wavelength and frequency that corresponds to the color yellow.
I am sorry but that is completely incorrect. Transition metal ions do not have coloured compounds due to EMISSION of photons. Rather it is the ABSORPTION of photons that causes complementary colors to be seen
CaptainJackFail
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anfanny)
1) Compounds of transition metals do not reflect all light wavelengths and absorb some which causes "these compounds to be coloured" / "Specific colour to specific compound" and
2) The flame test colours are produced by oxidation or reduction that releases a de broglie wavelength of visible light.
(Original post by Some one)
I am sorry but that is completely incorrect. Transition metal ions do not have coloured compounds due to EMISSION of photons. Rather it is the ABSORPTION of photons that causes complementary colors to be seen
Yeah, you guys are absolutely right, I did a second past paper and they rejected the word "emitted". Thanks a lot!!
username2769500
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, you guys are absolutely right, I did a second past paper and they rejected the word "emitted". Thanks a lot!!
Woohoo great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (57)
28.93%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.61%
No I am happy with my choice (109)
55.33%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads