Proportional representation Watch

SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can't believe I supported FPTP for so long. It's another example of how seductive pro-establishment, pro status-quo arguments can seep into your consciousness and become accepted as wisdom, and how immune from logical scrutiny they can become.

At every election, they cause tactical voting and people can portray the 'two horse/three horse' race that is to be heeded when voting.

Think how much more democracy would thrive free of this paradigm.

The argument that you don't get a local representative for opinion doesn't stack up, because we won't get a national representative for local opinion either.

What you do still get is a local representative that has been selected, maybe not in such exact accordance with the local vote, but then the national sense of proportional representation, thriving democracy, and more possibilities for both change and responsiveness to people- the influence of who is governing being more responsive to national debates and the overall vote far outweighs this local representative question as a consideration, especially as political classes have in the past become so interchangeable and cynical anyway.

TLDR-

First past the post is regressive and supportive of oligarchies and stagnancy, and PR is way more progressive and conducive to thriving democracy.

It is not an accident FPTP is most loved by Tories.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (190)
24.05%
Pop (192)
24.3%
Jazz (30)
3.8%
Classical (46)
5.82%
Hip-Hop (150)
18.99%