The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York

Sociology at York St John

Hey!
So I'm currently holding an unconditional offer to study Sociology with Criminology at York St. John beginning in September and I was wondering if any students who currently study this subject (or just Sociology) could answer some questions??

-How many lectures are there per week and how long are they? Generally
-How many seminars?
-How much 1-1 time with tutors & how often?
-How does the assessment work? I know it's coursework, but how often do we submit things, how long do we have to work on it, etc?
-How much independent work is there?

Thanks to anyone who answers! <3

PS. If anyone also is going to be studying Sociology or Sociology with a combined subject feel free to send me a message and I'll add you to a Sociology chat for YSJ on Facebook
Reply 1
Hi, I'm going to be studying sociology with Criminology in september, did you find out any information around coursework etc?
Students on campus
York St John University
York
I've just finished sociology at YSJ, here are some of my opinions and answers.
1) first semester I was at uni 4 days (off Tuesdays) lectures are always 2 hours long. Second semester I had 3 2 hr lectures on a Monday (9-11,2-4,4-6) then 1 Tuesday. Of Wednesday. 2 Thursday 11:30-1:30 then 5:30-7:30 off Friday which meant longer weekends.
2) assignments in first semester were easy. 1 group presentation, 1 individual and 1 essay. You must submit your assignments online. This will get explained when you start. Semester 2 is a little harder. I've submitted 3 3000 word essays.
3) I've never had a 1-1, whoever my tutor was didn't even bother to contact me. Not even once. He's the course director but I don't think he was much of good help. I was exposed to depression and he never reached out to me either.
4) I didn't like the course at all, the modules weren't interesting, to me they were irrelevant. Some lecturers couldn't be bothered and were extremely shy, if your gonna be a lecturer you need to be passionate, happy, make he course fun. Lecturers made it boring, I actually fell asleep. I feel like almost everything I've learnt has been no use to me at all.
5) Lots of people dropped out within days cos sociology didn't seem like they thought it was
6) to end on a more positive note, the students in my classes who were doing sociology and crim combined loved he course. I've had classmates say they couldn't do sociology on it's own, doing it with criminology makes it more interesting and enjoyable, in the second semester you do sociology of deviance which I actually loved! It's influenced me to do it with psychology at my new university as I'm not going back to York St. John again. Hope this helps, few positives and negatives but I like to be honest. When I asked before I started people weren't honest with me. Best of luck! Sorry for the massive paragraph x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous1204
I've just finished sociology at YSJ, here are some of my opinions and answers.
1) first semester I was at uni 4 days (off Tuesdays) lectures are always 2 hours long. Second semester I had 3 2 hr lectures on a Monday (9-11,2-4,4-6) then 1 Tuesday. Of Wednesday. 2 Thursday 11:30-1:30 then 5:30-7:30 off Friday which meant longer weekends.
2) assignments in first semester were easy. 1 group presentation, 1 individual and 1 essay. You must submit your assignments online. This will get explained when you start. Semester 2 is a little harder. I've submitted 3 3000 word essays.
3) I've never had a 1-1, whoever my tutor was didn't even bother to contact me. Not even once. He's the course director but I don't think he was much of good help. I was exposed to depression and he never reached out to me either.
4) I didn't like the course at all, the modules weren't interesting, to me they were irrelevant. Some lecturers couldn't be bothered and were extremely shy, if your gonna be a lecturer you need to be passionate, happy, make he course fun. Lecturers made it boring, I actually fell asleep. I feel like almost everything I've learnt has been no use to me at all.
5) Lots of people dropped out within days cos sociology didn't seem like they thought it was
6) to end on a more positive note, the students in my classes who were doing sociology and crim combined loved he course. I've had classmates say they couldn't do sociology on it's own, doing it with criminology makes it more interesting and enjoyable, in the second semester you do sociology of deviance which I actually loved! It's influenced me to do it with psychology at my new university as I'm not going back to York St. John again. Hope this helps, few positives and negatives but I like to be honest. When I asked before I started people weren't honest with me. Best of luck! Sorry for the massive paragraph x

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is really helpful tysm!!!
Hi!

I'm a 3rd year psychology student, and also Chair of the Psychological & Social Sciences School. This means I oversee courses relating to psychology, sociology, counselling, criminology and police studies. I'm here to help freshers settle in within their courses, collate feedback and ensure all your courses are running smoothly! Feel free to message me for my Facebook, this is where I engage with most students to collect feedback and help with any problems. I'm also trying to get into as many course group chats so I can make myself known to as many students as possible!

Quick Reply

Latest