iamhasana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can anyone recommend any good texts to read for A level History Tudors? This is so that I can build up my own knowledge. Thanks.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
Darthmixalot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are quite a few general surveys of the Tudors.
The oxford history of England ones are quite good for getting acquintated with the subject. The Early Tudors by J.D Mackie and the Later Tudors by Penry Williams will be good starting points, they are a little older now so they're not that up to date on the latest trends in Tudor history but that doesn't matter for the most part with A-levels.
You'll likely hear his name at some point so I'll also point you to the Tudor historian Geoffry Elton, specifically 'The tudor revolution in government' and 'England under the Tudors'. I don't quite agree with all his conclusions but he'll certainly give you some good information about the period.
If you want anymore, then you can't go wrong with 'The sixteenth century' by Patrick Collinson and I'm quite a fan of 'Dominion: England and its Island neighbours' although they perhaps aren't as focused on the Tudors as you might like. There's also John Guy's 'Tudor England' which is fairly accessible.

Hope that helped you in some way. There's quite a lot of stuff on the Tudors so finding the good stuff can be quite difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (205)
43.62%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (54)
11.49%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.66%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (100)
21.28%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.21%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.74%

Watched Threads