username2913866
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have recently began to put serious consideration into to the idea of pursuing a career in finance, after originally having my mind set on a career in healthcare I have realised it perhaps isn't the best option for me, hence I picked subjects which were vital for a career in healthcare (Biology, Chemistry and Psychology). The implications of this are I can't study economics however I have learnt that some top unis don't require maths for accounting and finance, some that I have been made aware of are Leeds, Manchester, LSE, Birmingham. The particular areas I am interested in are Stocking Broking, accounting and IB. My question is how likely am I to receive an internship from a top firm if I attend these unis(apart from LSE)? as I understand to attain a high end job in this sector you need to work at a top firm when in or after university.
IPEguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you really want the whole Goldman m&a internship Manchester is the only choice. However I urge you to learn of different avenues and sub industries as that route is so unbelievably competitive. During your degree you will learn of other areas like asset management that might interest you which isn't like IB.
username2913866
Rep:
?
So out of the unis I have specified Manchester is most likely to provide me with the opportunity of an internship at a large firm?
IPEguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Assuming you mean one of the highly sought after front office roles then yes. Do you know what parts of finance interest you?
Archivist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Either of those will get you into a front office Corporate Banking role (as a Credit Analyst) at any of the universal banks e.g. HSBC, JP Morgan, Deutsche, etc. Project Financing, Trade Financing, Loan Syndications and Corporate Coverage departments are normally part of such a bank's corporate banking division.

Best,
Archivist
username2913866
Rep:
?
Thank you for the feedback, do you think I will be disadvantage by not having a level maths? The subject that requires the most amount of maths that I do is chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (365)
84.3%
No (68)
15.7%

Watched Threads