RevisionGuide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys. So exams are coming up and I felt the need to make a thread for the OCR breadth paper, as I did a similar thing last year with a few subjects and it really helped me out, and I'm sure it helped others. So this is a thread to post any predictions, revision techniques, concerns about anything regarding the exam that you may want help for.

My predictions for both OCR breadth and depth papers
-Communicable diseases and the immune system (hasn't featured in many previous exams)
-Biological Molecules(is a topic that has featured on most exams)
-Transport in Plants
-Biodiversity
-Cell structure and Microscopy
-Cell Division

Note-Other topics may appear in the multiple choice section as a small part of the exam.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
suttinan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RevisionGuide)
Hey guys. So exams are coming up and I felt the need to make a thread for the OCR breadth paper, as I did a similar thing last year with a few subjects and it really helped me out, and I'm sure it helped others. So this is a thread to post any predictions, revision techniques, concerns about anything regarding the exam that you may want help for.

-Communicable diseases and the immune system (hasn't featured in many previous exams)
-Transport in Plants
-Biodiversity
-Cell Division

Note-Other topics may appear in the multiple choice section as a small part of the exam.
Hey once you done the test can you put an unofficial mark scheme or questions with the marks awarded or them much apreciated
RevisionGuide
Rep:
?
(Original post by suttinan)
Hey once you done the test can you put an unofficial mark scheme or questions with the marks awarded or them much apreciated
I will try my best, but I would need others to help me remember questions.
ibte10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Last years Breadth was really nice. I hope we get something similar to that. Biodiversity might be my favorite topic as the questions are usually straightforward.
RevisionGuide
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibte10)
Last years Breadth was really nice. I hope we get something similar to that. Biodiversity might be my favorite topic as the questions are usually straightforward.
Yeah hopefully a 4 mark question on calculating Simpsons index . I reckon ventilation will also be a popular one to come up in this years exams, as well as the immune system and disease.
How is revision going for you btw?
ibte10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah hopefully a 4 mark question on calculating Simpsons index . I reckon ventilation will also be a popular one to come up in this years exams, as well as the immune system and disease.
How is revision going for you btw?
Quite well although i still fear Transport in Animals questions for some reason.
RevisionGuide
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibte10)
Quite well although i still fear Transport in Animals questions for some reason.
Topics such as cell membranes, cell structure, biological molecules, transport in animals will most likely come up in the multiple choice section tbh.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im hoping plant transpoort, biodiversity and classification dont have big marks... really hate those
Beans998
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are both papers the same in terms of what's going to come up except obviously the depth paper having longer styled questions? And if you don't mind can you link some past papers that strictly test the breadth paper i.e MCQ etc

-Transport in Plants
-Biodiversity
-Cell Division

RevisionGuide
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beans998)
Are both papers the same in terms of what's going to come up except obviously the depth paper having longer styled questions? And if you don't mind can you link some past papers that strictly test the breadth paper i.e MCQ etc
There is no guarantee that both papers are going to have the same topics.
There aren't many past papers that link to our spec.
I would recommend doing a few of these. Many of them contain the shorter style questions, but no multiple choice unfortunately.
http://pastpapers.co/ocr/?dir=A-Leve...ogy-H021-H421/
RevisionGuide
Rep:
?
(Original post by HateOCR)
Im hoping plant transpoort, biodiversity and classification dont have big marks... really hate those
Plant transport can be quite difficult, but classification and biodiversity questions should be fine. E.g. a simpsons index calculation question for biodiversity would be nice.
fitzpete
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you reckon there will be much on classification?And the practicals
alice1stead
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can someone explain translocation to me because I really can't get my head around it

Posted from TSR Mobile
hood sniper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is no guarantee that both papers are going to have the same topics.
There aren't many past papers that link to our spec.
I would recommend doing a few of these. Many of them contain the shorter style questions, but no multiple choice unfortunately.
http://pastpapers.co/ocr/?dir=A-Leve...ogy-H021-H421/
i can't find the 2016 papers anywhere
hood sniper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alice1stead)
Can someone explain translocation to me because I really can't get my head around it

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's fairly simple,

Translocation moves food around a plant in a variety of directions. However, whatever the direction, movement always occurs from a sugar ‘source’ to a sugar ‘sink’.
A source can be any tissue or organ that is making sugar available to the plant. Examples of sources will include leaves where sugar is being manufactured or storage organs such as tubers or rhizomes where stored starch is being hydrolysed by enzymes.
A sugar sink will be any tissue or organ that is actively using or accepting sugar. Prime examples of sinks are growing roots, shoot tips, flowers, seeds and any other organs storing food. This means of course that perennating organs including tubers and rhizomes will be sinks at certain times of the year and sources at other times.

Don't forget to go through the spec and read what u need to know about translocation

Here's the link for the bio fact sheet: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...g%20Plants.pdf

Here's the revision link for all modules for AS papers 1 and 2: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...a-level-ocr-a/
suttinan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How was the exam
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How was the exam
It was quite easy but i done a few mistakes, atleast cost myself 4-5 marks
suttinan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HateOCR)
It was quite easy but i done a few mistakes, atleast cost myself 4-5 marks
Thats good to hear. Do you reckon you can make an unofficial markscheme
hood sniper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How was the exam
Simple and straightforward. Unfortunately i don't remember any of the questions correctly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads