The Student Room Group

Why do Europe need immigrants when Japan didn't?

Japan's native population is about 98 percent. One of the most successful countries in modern times. Unlike other countries they couldn't rely on oil etc but through sheer hard work and technological advances .Maybe they know something the clueless European leaders don't.

I think it's also relevant to point out they've not had a single terrorist attack.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarahsez

-snip-
I think it's also relevant to point out they've not had a single terrorist attack.

What about this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack
Well in my former line of work, Japan HAD to employ immigrants. Us. The market demanded tall, white [ we were not allowed to sunbathe] dancers. Their own dancers would simply not fit the bill. So we were given good contracts, usually for six months at a time. The big difference from Japan to say the UK being this. The very next day after our contract ended, we were taken from our hotel where we had lived, and put on a flight to either Paris or London, depending on where our contract was signed. We were absolutely not allowed to stay in the country after our work permits ended. People say to me why are you so against the influx of Immigrants to the UK when you lived and worked all over the world? The difference is, I didn't stay in Japan, France, Hong Kong , The Philippines or Greece after my work ended. I wasn't allowed to. I didn't settle there permanently, using that country's education system , healthcare system, housing, other resources. As far as Japan was concerned, we were absolutely not allowed to remain in Japan, even though our actual visas didn't expire until a few days later. End work that night. Next morning and we were on flights out of there. They made sure of it. Which is the way every country should operate. Especially ours.
(edited 6 years ago)
Japan's native population is about 98 percent. One of the most successful countries in modern times. Unlike other countries they couldn't rely on oil etc but through sheer hard work and technological advances .Maybe they know something the clueless European leaders don't.

Because Japan isn't a multicultural country unlike Britain. Multicultural counties need more cultures, more immigrants and more variety of food. (Or so we are told 😂😂😂)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty sure Japan received a lot of financial help in the later half of last century.
Pretty sure they have had attacks.

Also, Japan has had a history of overworking workers. Back in the 80's the average Japanese worker would've worked over 2000 hours in a year. In comparison, a US worker would've worked about 1800 hours, and a French worker would've worked about 1700 hours.

It's also worth noting that Japan depends on imports, they can't sustain their own population, they rely on imports. And the Japanese have largely been anti-immigration throughout history.

As for attitudes... They're not exactly the greatest when it comes to dealing with foreigners. Then again, their immigrant population is also very small, ~2% of the population (for reference, around 13% of the UK population are immigrants according to the ONS), which could explain why they don't really know how to deal with them. That's not to say they don't need immigrants though. Japan has an ageing population.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6

This is a point I have been raising since the 1990s. The Japanese also lead the world with robotics and automation.

My mother's background is politics and economics. She says that a high proportion of immigrants to Britain since 1945 are poor quality people. Defenders of immigration often point to certain wealthy or talented individuals but they are diamonds in the dust in reality. Despite a massive influx of people from New Commonwealth countries post war, businesses, politicians, and economists insist that Britain needs even more unskilled people from eastern Europe or else our economy will collapse. This is despite large numbers of unemployed or underemployed 2nd, or even 3rd, generation British born descendents of New Commonwealth immigrants with a low level of skills and qualifications. Only a fraction have joined the ranks of the professionals (mostly Chinese and Hindu Indian) and probably over half still haven't joined the ranks of the middle classes yet.
Original post by Arran90
This is a point I have been raising since the 1990s. The Japanese also lead the world with robotics and automation.

My mother's background is politics and economics. She says that a high proportion of immigrants to Britain since 1945 are poor quality people. Defenders of immigration often point to certain wealthy or talented individuals but they are diamonds in the dust in reality. Despite a massive influx of people from New Commonwealth countries post war, businesses, politicians, and economists insist that Britain needs even more unskilled people from eastern Europe or else our economy will collapse. This is despite large numbers of unemployed or underemployed 2nd, or even 3rd, generation British born descendents of New Commonwealth immigrants with a low level of skills and qualifications. Only a fraction have joined the ranks of the professionals (mostly Chinese and Hindu Indian) and probably over half still haven't joined the ranks of the middle classes yet.

I agree with your mother if you the underemployed rates for the descendents of the New Commonwealth countries it much higher than for white British,

http://race.bitc.org.uk/all-resources/factsheets/fact-file-uk-labour-market-status-ethnicity-april-june-2014

The countries which people need visas to come and live and work in the Uk such as South Africa they only add to the Uk economy.
Reply 8

Oh please that was over 20 years ago, compare that to the amount of attacks in France in the past year alone!!!
Japan has been stagnant for decades.

Major lol at your ignorance.

Though on the on the other hand it's sad. Because it highlights how uninformed people, or misinformed, or just plain biased, form opinions and portray them as facts.
You see Japan as a big economy, realise they dont have immigrants and use it to push your xenophobic agenda when immigration is probably exactly what Japan needs right now more than ever.

they do not even need to outsource their terrorism requirements.
I would prefer to keep terrorism out of this discussion. The IRA are the kings of violent terrorism in Britain and the majority of terrorist attacks in mainland Europe are committed by indigenous people.

In the 1990s the immigration issue was about race and culture as well as economics. Terrorism was a very low priority issue.

It's unfortunate that many British people are only interested in Muslim immigration nowadays and overlook or care little about problems caused by non-Muslim immigrant groups. In the 1990s it was the black Jamaicans who were the troublesome and challenging immigrant group rather than the Muslims. I make an intelligent guess that if New Commonwealth immigration was restricted to south Asians and Chinese then the race relations industry developed between the 1960s and the 1990s would have only been a shadow of what it was.
Original post by markova21
Well in my former line of work, Japan HAD to employ immigrants. Us. The market demanded tall, white [ we were not allowed to sunbathe] dancers. Their own dancers would simply not fit the bill. So we were given good contracts, usually for six months at a time. The big difference from Japan to say the UK being this. The very next day after our contract ended, we were taken from our hotel where we had lived, and put on a flight to either Paris or London, depending on where our contract was signed. We were absolutely not allowed to stay in the country after our work permits ended. People say to me why are you so against the influx of Immigrants to the UK when you lived and worked all over the world? The difference is, I didn't stay in Japan, France, Hong Kong , The Philippines or Greece after my work ended. I wasn't allowed to. I didn't settle there permanently, using that country's education system , healthcare system, housing, other resources. As far as Japan was concerned, we were absolutely not allowed to remain in Japan, even though our actual visas didn't expire until a few days later. End work that night. Next morning and we were on flights out of there. They made sure of it. Which is the way every country should operate. Especially ours.

At least the Japanese can sleep easy at night knowing they've got the perfect immigration system whilst here in the UK we all froth, foam and fizz at the mouth at all our immigration shortcomings and put up with inbred whingers. Especially whingers like yourself. :colonhash:
Reply 14
Original post by yudothis
Japan has been stagnant for decades.

Major lol at your ignorance.

Though on the on the other hand it's sad. Because it highlights how uninformed people, or misinformed, or just plain biased, form opinions and portray them as facts.

The economy of Japan is still the third-largest in the world by nominal GDP and the fourth-largest by purchasing power parity (PPP)
Original post by Arran90
I would prefer to keep terrorism out of this discussion. The IRA are the kings of violent terrorism in Britain and the majority of terrorist attacks in mainland Europe are committed by indigenous people.

In the 1990s the immigration issue was about race and culture as well as economics. Terrorism was a very low priority issue.

It's unfortunate that many British people are only interested in Muslim immigration nowadays and overlook or care little about problems caused by non-Muslim immigrant groups. In the 1990s it was the black Jamaicans who were the troublesome and challenging immigrant group rather than the Muslims. I make an intelligent guess that if New Commonwealth immigration was restricted to south Asians and Chinese then the race relations industry developed between the 1960s and the 1990s would have only been a shadow of what it was.

Which other immigrant groups causes trouble in the uk at present?
(edited 6 years ago)
The economy of Japan is still the third-largest in the world by nominal GDP and the fourth-largest by purchasing power parity (PPP)

That is completely irrelevant to your point about immigration.
Reply 17
Original post by dasgreatm8
You see Japan as a big economy, realise they dont have immigrants and use it to push your xenophobic agenda when immigration is probably exactly what Japan needs right now more than ever.

If they do decide to go down that route you best believe they won't be allowing just any low skilled and poor quality immigrant. The immigrants must respect Japanese culture and values. They will take no crap. And the Japanese will make sure that migrants are well qualified.
If they do decide to go down that route you best believe they won't be allowing just any low skilled and poor quality immigrant. The immigrants must respect Japanese culture and values. They will take no crap. And the Japanese will make sure that migrants are well qualified.

You argue that Europe have low skilled poor quality and yet theyre stealing your jobs. Come on susan, which one is it??

The vast majority of immigrants here have integrated and respect our culture, its a shame your uneducated bigoted racist mind cant see that and only choose to see what crap paul watson and breitbart has to say
Reply 19
Original post by dasgreatm8
You argue that Europe have low skilled poor quality and yet theyre stealing your jobs. Come on susan, which one is it??

The vast majority of immigrants here have integrated and respect our culture, its a shame your uneducated bigoted racist mind cant see that and only choose to see what crap paul watson and breitbart has to say

Liberal Hero Angela Merkel: multiculturalism has 'utterly failed'

Quick Reply

Latest