The Student Room Group

Why do Europe need immigrants when Japan didn't?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by yudothis
Japan has been stagnant for decades.

Major lol at your ignorance.

Though on the on the other hand it's sad. Because it highlights how uninformed people, or misinformed, or just plain biased, form opinions and portray them as facts.

Original post by Onde
The Japanese economy has been largely stagnant over the last 30 years, so I would not say Japan is a good example to cite of a country that does not need immigration.

Immigration in general give new innovative companies the opportunity to start, which creates more job opportunities and a growing economy.

Because their demography has been stagnant too. They don't need economic growth as long as their GDP/hab continues to grow.

Many Japanese think their country is overpopulated and that they will stop the decline only when the population reaches 100 million.
Original post by Arran90
Does Japan have Marxist, Trotskyite, or anti-fascist outfits like Britain has?

yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Communist_Party
Original post by Sarahsez
I visited Japan recently, loved how Japanese it was they rules, no signs in English, foreigners lived there too quite happily enjoying the same culture and virtues. Furthermore, not perfect by any means but they have much lower crime rates and a thriving economy. We get stuffed with multiculturalism and political correctness and look how we have to live! I'm sick of being proud of my heritage but being made to feel I am somehow a racist for doing so, multiculturalism as an ideal is nice but it doesn't work. I feel robbed of any identity these days, minority cultures win out and not allowed to promote my own. This Rochdale scum was allowed to fester because the do gooders kept patting themselves on the back saying how great it all was whilst our children were being abused on a monumental scale. There are a lot of people who should hang their heads in utter shame.

Thats what you see in front. Living and working there is terrible and they are not all friendly behind your back.
Original post by Josb
Because their demography has been stagnant too. They don't need economic growth as long as their GDP/hab continues to grow.

Many Japanese think their country is overpopulated and that they will stop the decline only when the population reaches 100 million.

I am sure lost decade is affectionate.
The Japanese economy is not as hot as it was in the 1970s and 80s but regardless of GDP or references to lost decades Japan has much more in the way of productive and manufacturing industries than Britain has. After factoring out financial services and what takes place in a square mile in London then what is left of Britain's economy is not much better than that of countries in Central America.

I recommend books by Eamonn Fingleton for anybody really interested in Japan. He has lived an worked there for many years. It's a bit sad that economics departments at most British universities have still not got round to recognising his works.
Reply 45
No terrorist attacks in Japan. I wonder why...

An isolated attack made by a random cult over 20 years ago. That doesn't exactly compare
One poster here is using Japan as an example of how to manage immigration properly. If you need a very skilled person from abroad to work for you, get their accommodation
sorted and make sure they do their part to gather the documents they require to show that they can work in your country. Then, once their work is done, they're back home. That's how immigration should work everywhere. Not giving the immigrants any excuse to stay beyond the period they're entitled to.
Original post by Arran90
I would prefer to keep terrorism out of this discussion. The IRA are the kings of violent terrorism in Britain and the majority of terrorist attacks in mainland Europe are committed by indigenous people.

In the 1990s the immigration issue was about race and culture as well as economics. Terrorism was a very low priority issue.

It's unfortunate that many British people are only interested in Muslim immigration nowadays and overlook or care little about problems caused by non-Muslim immigrant groups. In the 1990s it was the black Jamaicans who were the troublesome and challenging immigrant group rather than the Muslims. I make an intelligent guess that if New Commonwealth immigration was restricted to south Asians and Chinese then the race relations industry developed between the 1960s and the 1990s would have only been a shadow of what it was.

The IRA were/are amateurs compared to what we're facing now.
See post #4 @markova21
Well, most countries' citizenship and /or permanent residence application rules state that you can achieve such if you're married to someone born in the country whose residence/citizenship you're applying for.
My dad took on my mum's nationality when they married. And I'm not too sure of this but British athlete Mara Yamauchi would be allowed to live in Japan.
Original post by Sarahsez
Japan's native population is about 98 percent. One of the most successful countries in modern times. Unlike other countries they couldn't rely on oil etc but through sheer hard work and technological advances .Maybe they know something the clueless European leaders don't.

I think it's also relevant to point out they've not had a single terrorist attack.

Because letting in so many of them is what the globalist and liberal establishment love. Right now, Japan is for the Japanese, China is for the Chinese, Russia is for Russians, but Europe has become for everyone to move into. And we are letting in all sorts of people who wish to destroy us as demonstrated by all the terrorist attacks. And they actually have a sensible policy for foreign workers, unlike ours. The only way we could save Europe is to vote for parties that are patriotic and willing to stand up for their people, unlike LibLabCon in the UK.

By the way, which UK political party do you support?
Original post by YaliaV
The IRA were/are amateurs compared to what we're facing now.

I'm doubtful that professional Islamic terrorist outfits even exist at all. So far any terrorist attacks attributed to Muslims in Europe have been small and largely insignificant events. If professional Islamic terrorist outfits existed then they would by now have launched large scale attacks on military installations, nuclear power stations, and critical parts of the national infrastructure.

I have read many of the Islamic terrorist publications about making bombs, poisons, etc. including those written by ISIS and Al-Qaeda. As an engineer myself I can pass good judgement on them. The information they contain is laughably amateur at its best and just plain damn wrong at its worst. Much of the material appears to have been lifted from various American anarchists and prank publications from the 1960s and 70s. This raises serious questions whether the so called worst of terrorists even have any engineers or chemists in their ranks at all.
Original post by Arran90
I'm doubtful that professional Islamic terrorist outfits even exist at all. So far any terrorist attacks attributed to Muslims in Europe have been small and largely insignificant events. If professional Islamic terrorist outfits existed then they would by now have launched large scale attacks on military installations, nuclear power stations, and critical parts of the national infrastructure.

I have read many of the Islamic terrorist publications about making bombs, poisons, etc. including those written by ISIS and Al-Qaeda. As an engineer myself I can pass good judgement on them. The information they contain is laughably amateur at its best and just plain damn wrong at its worst. Much of the material appears to have been lifted from various American anarchists and prank publications from the 1960s and 70s. This raises serious questions whether the so called worst of terrorists even have any engineers or chemists in their ranks at all.

They are a very powerful tool though - they can totally brainwash people. Even if a lot of the attacks aren't organised, how do you fight suicide bombers? People could strike anywhere and at any time. The terrorist attacks during the troubles were mainly contained in Northern Ireland. This is just madness in comparison.
Original post by YaliaV
They are a very powerful tool though - they can totally brainwash people. Even if a lot of the attacks aren't organised, how do you fight suicide bombers? People could strike anywhere and at any time. The terrorist attacks during the troubles were mainly contained in Northern Ireland. This is just madness in comparison.

1. Suicide bombing is not a recognised act in Islam. Back in the 1990s nobody used Islam / Muslim and suicide bomber in the same sentence.

2. The number of suicide bombing attacks confirmed or suspected to have been carried out by Muslims in Britain and Europe is very small and far fewer than the attacks carried out by the IRA.

3. The IRA carried out many attacks on the mainland including an unsucessful attempt to assassinate Margaret Thatcher and her cabinet in a hotel in Brighton.

4. Considering how few Muslims have carried out an act of terrorism, or have been thwarted at an advanced stage of preparation, compared to the total Muslim population in Britain then trying to bring terrorism into arguments about large scale immigration is disingenuous and overexaggeration. I worry more about being stabbed or shot by a non-Muslim Jamaican than blown up by a Muslim terrorist or suicide bomber.
Original post by Arran90
1. Suicide bombing is not a recognised act in Islam. Back in the 1990s nobody used Islam / Muslim and suicide bomber in the same sentence.

2. The number of suicide bombing attacks confirmed or suspected to have been carried out by Muslims in Britain and Europe is very small and far fewer than the attacks carried out by the IRA.

3. The IRA carried out many attacks on the mainland including an unsucessful attempt to assassinate Margaret Thatcher and her cabinet in a hotel in Brighton.

4. Considering how few Muslims have carried out an act of terrorism, or have been thwarted at an advanced stage of preparation, compared to the total Muslim population in Britain then trying to bring terrorism into arguments about large scale immigration is disingenuous and overexaggeration. I worry more about being stabbed or shot by a non-Muslim Jamaican than blown up by a Muslim terrorist or suicide bomber.

If you are trying to argue that the IRA was a bigger threat then you are either lying or you're delusional.

The veil is more of a cultural thing than a religious one, but to say that the two aren't related would be disingenuous in the extreme. The same applies to suicide bombing.
Reply 56
Japan is in severe population decline and has a stagnating economy, they do need immigration but won't because of cultural reasons but a shockingly large percent of their youth are not even interested in having sex let alone marriage and having kids so they can not reverse the population decline by themselves and they will reap the negative consequences of this as time goes on. But if you are fine with a stagnating economy and declining populations then it's ok but if not then you do need immigration.
Reply 57
Original post by slade p
Japan is in severe population decline and has a stagnating economy, they do need immigration but won't because of cultural reasons but a shockingly large percent of their youth are not even interested in having sex let alone marriage and having kids so they can not reverse the population decline by themselves and they will reap the negative consequences of this as time goes on. But if you are fine with a stagnating economy and declining populations then it's ok but if not then you do need immigration.

Maybe if they had more sex they wouldn't need immigrants like they haven't in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending