The Student Room Group

Student Finance Appeals

Hello, I am just looking for abit of advice with regards to a student finance appeal.

For my first year of University I was granted the lowest loan possible and so had to take a year out before leaving to study at University to work full time to try and save up some money (As my loan did not cover rent let alone food).

This year (which will be my second year of university) I have been granted an even lower loan (which I didn't think was possible?) Again it does not go near to covering my rent let alone food.

My parents have never sent me any money, not since I got my first job at 16, not a single penny. I know people that have partners who support them each week by sending them money but that is not the case for me.

My farther also gets a pension from the navy that is classed towards his income.

I was just wondering if anyone has every appealed to student finance? I wish to appeal on the grounds that my parents dont support me but I have a good relationship with them and don't think I would have grounds to class myself as independent (Even though I am nearly 21 years of age), would student finance out right reject this?

Before anyone answers with "just get a job" I have had 2 jobs whilst at sixth form (Mcdonalds and Bar work) and 3 jobs on my year out and have worked since day 1 of moving away for University.

Thank you for any responses in advance .
Original post by hopejohnson12
Hello, I am just looking for abit of advice with regards to a student finance appeal.

For my first year of University I was granted the lowest loan possible and so had to take a year out before leaving to study at University to work full time to try and save up some money (As my loan did not cover rent let alone food).

This year (which will be my second year of university) I have been granted an even lower loan (which I didn't think was possible?) Again it does not go near to covering my rent let alone food.

My parents have never sent me any money, not since I got my first job at 16, not a single penny. I know people that have partners who support them each week by sending them money but that is not the case for me.

My farther also gets a pension from the navy that is classed towards his income.

I was just wondering if anyone has every appealed to student finance? I wish to appeal on the grounds that my parents dont support me but I have a good relationship with them and don't think I would have grounds to class myself as independent (Even though I am nearly 21 years of age), would student finance out right reject this?

Before anyone answers with "just get a job" I have had 2 jobs whilst at sixth form (Mcdonalds and Bar work) and 3 jobs on my year out and have worked since day 1 of moving away for University.

i think they would be likely to reject that appeal, they dont care that parents dont give money only that they could afford to,as you aren't estranged from them then the only way to be classed as independent is to be married or a parent without the 3 years of working by yourself.
Reply 2

That's not grounds for an appeal.

If you can't afford uni and can't get a job, you would need to wait until you can afford it. You may be able to study part time whilst working, or may have to wait until you can be classed as an independent student.
All my money went towards rent, food, travel for my first year of University as my loan covered only half of it.
Original post by Juno
That's not grounds for an appeal.

If you can't afford uni and can't get a job, you would need to wait until you can afford it. You may be able to study part time whilst working, or may have to wait until you can be classed as an independent student.

I could't have took any more time away from University as the last year my qualifications would have been accepted was 2016.
I have a job at University as stated above.. Whilst on my year out I still had to pay rent. Blow it all in a week? I've been at University for a year? Paying out for food, travel, rent all that time?

Minimum wage was only £5 when I was working, and is only £5.33 now. That isn't alot when you have rent to pay and food to buy.

One of those jobs was an apprenticeship which only pay £2.50 an hour
Original post by claireestelle
i think they would be likely to reject that appeal, they dont care that parents dont give money only that they could afford to,as you aren't estranged from them then the only way to be classed as independent is to be married or a parent without the 3 years of working by yourself.

Thank you for your help, thought it was worth a try :smile:
Reply 7
I could't have took any more time away from University as the last year my qualifications would have been accepted was 2016.

Ok, so what? That's still not a reason to appeal.

I'd love to win an Olympic gold medal for gymnastics, but I haven't got time to train. Should I appeal that? No, it would be ridiculous. Well, so are you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending