The Student Room Group

Becoming a E.M.T. Or Paramedic with a criminal conviction

I will probably get a lot of abuse for this,however here goes:
I was convicted and imprisoned for 2 and a half years . I would dearly love to work as a ambulance driver or E.m.t as I think they are now called with a optimum goal of becoming a Paramedic .
However every where I look it seems that this will not be possible,because of my previous mistakes . My wife and I got into financial difficulties ,and I had a brain wave or so I thought at the time I grew 55 canabis plants ,got caught and was sentenced to six years in prison reduced to five on appeal.
And if that's not bad enough I have a conviction for attempted murder ,my sister and I (she is now a teacher ) were involved in a Euthanasia case with my mother who was dying of Cancer,I was not imprisoned for this .Central to made a documentary about our case called "a right to die"
As far as the growing canabis goes I could not have made a worse move if I had tried ,I lost my freedom for 2 and a half years and much worse than that lost the best friend I ever had and the love of my life who gave me a "dear john " one year into my sentence ,she was my soulmate for 20 years ,I digress , whilst in Prison I became a qualified " health champion " and worked with inmates suffering from Drug addiction and its related problems ,I really enjoyed this and decided when I got out and got my life back together that I would pursue an old goal of mine to follow my in my fathers footsteps and become a ambulance driver and hopefully a Paramedic after that ?
Please help ,does anyone know if it still possible or have I blown all possibilities for life .(worst case scenario , I could go and live in Spain and try there as I speak fluent Spanish ,however I don't fancy fudging the truth and trying to get around it by misleading anyone ,If anyone can help I would dearly love the advise .
Please don't be judgemental ! I paid my debt and met murders ,rapists and paedophiles who got less time than me.
Original post by Drusha
I will probably get a lot of abuse for this,however here goes:
I was convicted and imprisoned for 2 and a half years . I would dearly love to work as a ambulance driver or E.m.t as I think they are now called with a optimum goal of becoming a Paramedic .
However every where I look it seems that this will not be possible,because of my previous mistakes . My wife and I got into financial difficulties ,and I had a brain wave or so I thought at the time I grew 55 canabis plants ,got caught and was sentenced to six years in prison reduced to five on appeal.
And if that's not bad enough I have a conviction for attempted murder ,my sister and I (she is now a teacher ) were involved in a Euthanasia case with my mother who was dying of Cancer,I was not imprisoned for this .Central to made a documentary about our case called "a right to die"
As far as the growing canabis goes I could not have made a worse move if I had tried ,I lost my freedom for 2 and a half years and much worse than that lost the best friend I ever had and the love of my life who gave me a "dear john " one year into my sentence ,she was my soulmate for 20 years ,I digress , whilst in Prison I became a qualified " health champion " and worked with inmates suffering from Drug addiction and its related problems ,I really enjoyed this and decided when I got out and got my life back together that I would pursue an old goal of mine to follow my in my fathers footsteps and become a ambulance driver and hopefully a Paramedic after that ?
Please help ,does anyone know if it still possible or have I blown all possibilities for life .(worst case scenario , I could go and live in Spain and try there as I speak fluent Spanish ,however I don't fancy fudging the truth and trying to get around it by misleading anyone ,If anyone can help I would dearly love the advise .
Please don't be judgemental ! I paid my debt and met murders ,rapists and paedophiles who got less time than me.

Each case is judged on its own merits at a fitness to practice hearing. You would need to attend this and be willing to fully discuss your experiences and also likely would need to write a written statement. A panel would then come do a decision regarding whether your previous record would impair your fitness to practice as a paramedic, taking into account the full circumstances and how this reflects on your character. There is lots of information about fitness to practice online which you may wish to take a look at, as it can be quite a complex and subjective issue.

Realistically, from experience with others who have criminal records, I unfortunately think it would be likely that a panel would reject your application. As your conviction will be present on your enhanced DBS check, you would also need to consider the likelihood of an employer accepting your convictions after you left university. In particular, fitness to practice focuses on protecting the public and the euthanasia issue will likely be of great concern to anyone authorising you to work with vulnerable service users.

That is, of course, not to say that there is no way you can ever become an EMT or paramedic. No one can really tell you for certain what will happen and the only way to find out is to apply and go through the process. If this is really what you feel passionate about, then you have no chance if you don't apply.

Quick Reply

Latest