The Student Room Group

Re doing first year

I'm currently in my first year of 6th form and I honestly don't think I'm doing well in my subjects (maths,economics,comp science)
I absolutely hate computer science and I can't see myself doing it for another year! The other two I enjoy but overall I could do better.

However my parents think that I'll be, quote "wasting a f***ing year " but I want to go to a good university and can't with below average grades.
I'm predicted a D in economics B in maths and E in comp science.

All opinions are appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Kai9229
I'm currently in my first year of 6th form and I honestly don't think I'm doing well in my subjects (maths,economics,comp science)
I absolutely hate computer science and I can't see myself doing it for another year! The other two I enjoy but overall I could do better.

However my parents think that I'll be, quote "wasting a f***ing year " but I want to go to a good university and can't with below average grades.

There's no such thing as wasting a year. Nobody will go through life in a perfectly linear fashion - everyone will find that at times they need to repeat something, or they don't get a job/promotion on schedule and things stagnate.

If you can't pull your grades up at this stage, you're better to take a year out now than for it to become several years. If you can't get the degree you want then you'll find you need to take additional qualifications or get more work experience and that will take extra time.
Original post by Kai9229

Talk to teacher. You parents are ignorant. Do you have other alternative A levels to do? Its really 9 months. Make sure what you wish to apply for dont take a dim view of resits if its relevant to you. Its definitely worth it if it will make a difference to what you get and upgrade your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest