The Student Room Group

when did you first dye your hair and what colour has made you happiest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've never dyed my hair :tongue:
Original post by Airmed
I first dyed my hair when I was 19. I was dark blonde but dyed it a shade darker to give a kind of copper look.

Now I'm a red head (brown into red) and I love it. Going to get my roots done next week as my dark blonde is coming through. It doesn't look bad though as it all blends :lol:

red heads do have the most fun! It's good when it blends a bit so you dont have too worry so much, my natural hair is almost black so roots always end up obvious.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I first dyed my hair when I was 11 and I used permanent black :facepalm: good thing I was a goth/mosher back in those days or it would have been an utter failure. I've been all shades of brown, black, bright red, blonde and ginger. Ginger was my fave hair colour but I had to dye my hair multiple times a month and it flared up my psoriasis so I decided to go for a gingery copper brown which is close to my natural colour so I don't have to dye it as much and tbh, I quite like the colour :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gingery brown sounds lovely, sorry to hear that the hair dye was making your psoriasis worse, i presume you've tried the less chemically hair dye brands?
Reply 23
Original post by claireestelle
red heads do have the most fun! It's good when it blends a bit so you dont have too worry so much, my natural hair is almost black so roots always end up obvious.

Yeah, I had the blending deliberately done because I didn't want to have to go back like every month. My hair grows so quickly :tongue:
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, I had the blending deliberately done because I didn't want to have to go back like every month. My hair grows so quickly :tongue:

I'm jealous of your quick growing hair:P Mines not been the same after all the bleaching to go blonde in 2015, although i m told cutting it more often helps it grow and i only bother doing it every couple of months.
Reply 25
I'm jealous of your quick growing hair:P Mines not been the same after all the bleaching to go blonde in 2015, although i m told cutting it more often helps it grow and i only bother doing it every couple of months.

Yeah, I have heard the same too, that cutting helps. It is a bit of a nuisance though.
Original post by Airmed
Yeah, I have heard the same too, that cutting helps. It is a bit of a nuisance though.

Indeed it is a nuisance, I cut it quite lazily too using the ponytail method so i've not changed haircut in over a year.
Reply 27
Indeed it is a nuisance, I cut it quite lazily too using the ponytail method so i've not changed haircut in over a year.

i have layers in my hair and sometimes a side fringe, so no way I could do it myself
Original post by Airmed
i have layers in my hair and sometimes a side fringe, so no way I could do it myself

fringes are difficult to do, i really messed it by once so i stopped bothering with having one.
My favourite was when I dyed it black, because it matches my soul

Original post by iqra2159
I've never dyed my hair :tongue:

:O
Original post by Danny Dorito
My favourite was when I dyed it black, because it matches my soul

Dat gif :P
I originally dyed my hair back in 2011 when I was 15 a very bright violet red then my school made me change it back 3 days later, i've been dying it on and off since (everything from blonde to black with different coloured streaks) then and i've been happiest with a browny red, it's now my natural colour with a bit of a red tint but i m trying to turn it back to that before my wedding without damaging my hair too much or going to the hairdressers.

I think my hair is nice how it is. I've never dyed it. :smile:
Original post by ClearSky
I think my hair is nice how it is. I've never dyed it. :smile:

It's not often you meet someone with virgin hair, i have a real love hate relationship with my natural hair colour but i have embraced the waviness of it now.
I also couldn't dye my hair in school so in a few summers I bleached the ends and dip dyed them before getting it cut in September - the first colour was blue when I was 14/15. Over this Easter I've tried a few of the colorista colours - pastel blue, violet, green. I actually prefer my hair ombréd blonde (naturally brunette) but blue is probably my favourite. I want to try pinks, pastel purples and reds/burgundy next ^^
Back to ash blonde this afternoon and feeling more myself. :biggrin:

Amazed at people who have the patience to get it done frequently. I probably get mine done every 2-3 months - however long it takes to get annoyed with my roots. Luckily there are people who consider blonde hair/dark roots to be stylish though so I feel like I can get away with it. :tongue:
Original post by 1010marina
I also couldn't dye my hair in school so in a few summers I bleached the ends and dip dyed them before getting it cut in September - the first colour was blue when I was 14/15. Over this Easter I've tried a few of the colorista colours - pastel blue, violet, green. I actually prefer my hair ombréd blonde (naturally brunette) but blue is probably my favourite. I want to try pinks, pastel purples and reds/burgundy next ^^

Dip dying is a great way to try different things out with long hair, i loved having blue with my brown hair one summer but i feel too old for anything like that now (and i would do it with work anyway:P)
Original post by sinfonietta
Back to ash blonde this afternoon and feeling more myself. :biggrin:

Amazed at people who have the patience to get it done frequently. I probably get mine done every 2-3 months - however long it takes to get annoyed with my roots. Luckily there are people who consider blonde hair/dark roots to be stylish though so I feel like I can get away with it. :tongue:

Apart from when i've tried to go back natural i dont think i've ever let it go 3 months, i think you're much more patient with roots than i am.
Dip dying is a great way to try different things out with long hair, i loved having blue with my brown hair one summer but i feel too old for anything like that now (and i would do it with work anyway:P)

Yeah - I'm in my first year of uni and I know in three years I might have a soul sucking job where I can't have daft hair colours. So might as well do it now.
Original post by 1010marina
Yeah - I'm in my first year of uni and I know in three years I might have a soul sucking job where I can't have daft hair colours. So might as well do it now.

yes make the most of it whilst you can :smile: you could always have colours as an underlayer so that you could hide it at work but have updos at the weekends as a compromise

Quick Reply

Latest