The Student Room Group

when did you first dye your hair and what colour has made you happiest?

Scroll to see replies

I have quite a gingery orange colour at the moment which I'm happy with because it just warms up my skin tone a little, and makes my hair look healthier and more alive as it was an ashy brown before with a fair bit of grey. I've had every colour under the sun bar the dyed silvery grey, and I loved teal the most. I'd really love to do that again, but keeping semi permanently dyed hair up to scratch more permanently is a massive pain

I started dying mine when I was 8/9 in year 5 at school :laugh:. Bright red streaks in my brown, almost black, hair :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
In year 7. Probably blonde/brown
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I have quite a gingery orange colour at the moment which I'm happy with because it just warms up my skin tone a little, and makes my hair look healthier and more alive as it was an ashy brown before with a fair bit of grey. I've had every colour under the sun bar the dyed silvery grey, and I loved teal the most. I'd really love to do that again, but keeping semi permanently dyed hair up to scratch more permanently is a massive pain

I started dying mine when I was 8/9 in year 5 at school :laugh:. Bright red streaks in my brown, almost black, hair :tongue:

I agree semi permanent is such a pain to keep up, i kept staining my pillows when i used vegetable dyes for my streaks on summer. you must have looked pretty bad ass with those streaks :P
Chocolate mocha semi perm every time !
I started dying my hair when I was twelve, but advice it's black it kinda as just obvious in the sun.
I've currently dip dyed it a bright green as I've bleached the ends. It's much easier to look after. It's probably my fave as well.
First dyed my hair in late 2012 when I was almost 13 - but it was only blonde highlights and then later on an ombre. I have no pictures of it but I imagine it looked pretty bad :lol:
Summer holidays between Year 8 and 9 I dyed it bright red, semi-permanently but it lasted ages :shock:
New Years Eve 2013 I dyed it dark brown (which reeeeeally didn't suit my skin tone - I'm far too pale eek) and kept that for a bit, it was the first permanent dye I did.
End of April 2014 I dyed it dark red, which I actually quite liked. I kept this for a few months before getting bored of it. I got told it suited me as well :tongue:
October 2014 I decided I didn't want it red anymore so used one of those hair colour stripping things on it - WORST MISTAKE as my hair ended up bright orange and in pretty bad condition :erm:
Kept putting various shades of blonde through it to tone down the orangeness, to varying levels of success.
Ended up with a light slightly gingery blonde colour for quite a while - probably from around autumn 2015 to July 2016
Last August I bleached it so it was pretty light blonde - in a desperate attempt to get rid of the gingery-ness :lol: and then a couple of days later I dyed the ends blue! We did it so that it started as a light pastelly blue that then faded into a deep blue - I thought it looked so cool and this is definitely my favourite out of all the colours I've had. I'd definitely do it again, even with other non-standard colours :tongue:

Now I haven't done anything with my hair colour since August - it's quite a light blonde but there's quite a lot of my natural roots grown through so it doesn't look too good :crazy: would love to go back to my natural colour :moon:
Original post by NiamhM1801
First dyed my hair in late 2012 when I was almost 13 - but it was only blonde highlights and then later on an ombre. I have no pictures of it but I imagine it looked pretty bad :lol:
Summer holidays between Year 8 and 9 I dyed it bright red, semi-permanently but it lasted ages :shock:
New Years Eve 2013 I dyed it dark brown (which reeeeeally didn't suit my skin tone - I'm far too pale eek) and kept that for a bit, it was the first permanent dye I did.
End of April 2014 I dyed it dark red, which I actually quite liked. I kept this for a few months before getting bored of it. I got told it suited me as well :tongue:
October 2014 I decided I didn't want it red anymore so used one of those hair colour stripping things on it - WORST MISTAKE as my hair ended up bright orange and in pretty bad condition :erm:
Kept putting various shades of blonde through it to tone down the orangeness, to varying levels of success.
Ended up with a light slightly gingery blonde colour for quite a while - probably from around autumn 2015 to July 2016
Last August I bleached it so it was pretty light blonde - in a desperate attempt to get rid of the gingery-ness :lol: and then a couple of days later I dyed the ends blue! We did it so that it started as a light pastelly blue that then faded into a deep blue - I thought it looked so cool and this is definitely my favourite out of all the colours I've had. I'd definitely do it again, even with other non-standard colours :tongue:

Now I haven't done anything with my hair colour since August - it's quite a light blonde but there's quite a lot of my natural roots grown through so it doesn't look too good :crazy: would love to go back to my natural colour :moon:

use semi permanent dyes in your natural colour whilst you grow it out maybe?
Original post by claireestelle
Oh I see how going professional could help, I just can't justify the cost every 6 weeks, if I can't get my hair the colour I want come September I know I ll have to go but I hope that doesn't happen

@claireestelle. If you can't afford regular trips to a hairdresser then try a REPUTABLE hair and beauty college. Don't let them cut it though!!! They coloured mine nicely for years now for £12
Otherwise buy professional dyes and peroxide and do it yourself at home. I've done it lots. eBay and amazon sell them and you can find colour charts and directions online
Original post by Sammylou40
@claireestelle. If you can't afford regular trips to a hairdresser then try a REPUTABLE hair and beauty college. Don't let them cut it though!!! They coloured mine nicely for years now for £12
Otherwise buy professional dyes and peroxide and do it yourself at home. I've done it lots. eBay and amazon sell them and you can find colour charts and directions online

I could afford it, but it'd almost completely eat up my "luxuries" budget so i dont want to spend that much . I've never considered proper professional dyes rather than box dyes i shall see what i can find on amazon, thank you :smile: the colleges in my area didnt offer much in the evenings and weekends when i last looked but will double check for sure.
red heads do have the most fun!

We do 😊
What's your natural hair colour out of interest?

It's a very dark blonde, with a couple of naturally lighter bits coming from around my temples.
I think I'm the only person I know who has never dyed their hair. Do any of you regret dying your hair a lot? Pretty much every girl I know who started dying their hair quite young (like early teens) says they regret doing it.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I think I'm the only person I know who has never dyed their hair. Do any of you regret dying your hair a lot? Pretty much every girl I know who started dying their hair quite young (like early teens) says they regret doing it.

In my case, not at all. I've loved all the different things I've been able to do with it, and I've loved the process as well. Sure, I've had damaged hair and stuff, but it grows out and can be cut away. It's always made me happy, so I'll never regret it
Original post by chelseadagg3r
In my case, not at all. I've loved all the different things I've been able to do with it, and I've loved the process as well. Sure, I've had damaged hair and stuff, but it grows out and can be cut away. It's always made me happy, so I'll never regret it

That's good! I always think hair that's been dyed well is so much shinier than natural but I've always been so paranoid about damage. I don't even like applying heat to my hair very often because I hate damaging it :laugh:

I've never dyed mine. My natural hair colour is too cool to be dyed over. I have loads of red streaks in my hair that come out in the sun. (got ginger genes from my dad :tongue: )
Original post by ChickenMadness
I've never dyed mine. My natural hair colour is too cool to be dyed over. I have loads of red streaks in my hair that come out in the sun. (got ginger genes from my dad :tongue: )

Haha well I just meant girls, guys generally don't dye their hair :laugh: and I actually get that too - my mum had dark auburn hair when she was young and my hair can go quite gingery in the sun. I hate going out though so rarely comes out :lol:
Reply 56
I have been thinking of dying my hair light brown for a long time, but I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea because of my skin colour (am Asian). I've seen some Asians who have dyed their hair blonde who look amazing, and others whom it doesn't really suit.

Any fellow Asians have any experiences of dying their hair and what colour you should stick to? As much as I love blonde hair, I don't think it would match my skin colour.
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
she wants to give me either pink hair, a Mohawk (which I'm not too bothered about) or a skinhead!
1st and 3rd options terrify me.

As much as it's good to support your sister and hairstyles are temporary, it's you that'll have to live with whatever she does to your hair. So unless it's a hairstyle you'd be happy with, don't be afraid of telling her no.
I first dyed my hair in 2009, when I was in year 5 :tongue: I dyed it a semi-permanent red that turned ginger, but in year 6 my mum let me dye it permanently black because I wanted to a scene kid :laugh: the scene phase followed as for the next 5 or 6 years I dyed my hair pretty much any colour you can think of (yes, including green) and I've recently dyed it brown because I got sick to death of trying to match my clothes to my hair.

My favourite colour (although it was really hard to maintain) was blue all over and then a split between pink and purple at the front. I got told off at my job at McDonald's though because apparently, I looked "unapproachable". F that job anyway, I left after they said that :smile:

I don't really regret doing it, my only bad hair decision was going blonde with the damage I did but I wanted to do it once and now I know it doesn't suit me so won't bother again :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest