The Student Room Group

My work are making me do triple overtime during exams!

I'm work in a popular supermarket chain in Scotland and I am currently on an 8-hour contract. Its coming up to exams and they asked me to give them my exam dates which I did in good time. I was then shocked to discover when i checked the rota that on the week I have exams I'm in for 26 hours. It states on my contract that the managers "reserve the right" to alter my hours as necessary but they knew I had exams and they didn't even ask me to do overtime. Also, its over triple what I would usually do. I'm wondering if I should say anything and if I'll get into trouble if I do? I'm extremely frustrated as this isn't the first time they've messed me around (ie, phoning me on holidays asking me to come in, putting me in for overtime without asking). Also there's no extra pay for overtime. Help!
Talk to them. If they don't listen, I'd quit. Exams are more important. But obviously I don't know your situation.
Original post by Wizard Of Flaws
I'm work in a popular supermarket chain in Scotland and I am currently on an 8-hour contract. Its coming up to exams and they asked me to give them my exam dates which I did in good time. I was then shocked to discover when i checked the rota that on the week I have exams I'm in for 26 hours. It states on my contract that the managers "reserve the right" to alter my hours as necessary but they knew I had exams and they didn't even ask me to do overtime. Also, its over triple what I would usually do. I'm wondering if I should say anything and if I'll get into trouble if I do? I'm extremely frustrated as this isn't the first time they've messed me around (ie, phoning me on holidays asking me to come in, putting me in for overtime without asking). Also there's no extra pay for overtime. Help!

check your contract - if it says you have to work overtime then that may be an issue but because you are part time this is usually not the case. If overtime is not compulsary in your contract then you have the right to refuse to work!!! if they force you to work then, if it was me, i would just hand in my notice because your exams are so much more important than your part time job!

good luck :smile:

Completely agree with cupcakes. Its wholly unreasonable and inconsiderate. Just resign if they wont change. Raise it quickly. Be to the point without being rude or backing down. tell your parents and am sure they will back you.
You can't be forced to work overtime (although they can fire you if you've been there under 2 years). Your exams are more important though so speak to your manager and tell them you are not able to work those hours and preferably need the week off, you assumed that's why he was asking for the dates, if necessary you can work up to X hours. Then stick to your guns and tell him you will not be coming in for the other shifts.
Reply 5
In general go with cock-up not conspiracy... they've made a mistake so talk to them straightforwardly today.

Nobody needs to resign or get fired.

The schedule can be changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doodle_333
You can't be forced to work overtime (although they can fire you if you've been there under 2 years). Your exams are more important though so speak to your manager and tell them you are not able to work those hours and preferably need the week off, you assumed that's why he was asking for the dates, if necessary you can work up to X hours. Then stick to your guns and tell him you will not be coming in for the other shifts.

I agree

Be firm and tell them that you have exams and they are far more important right now. If they refuse to back down then leave, I did this when at one of my work places they kept putting me down for shifts, one time they even put me down at the time I had an exam.
Go with Doonesbury's suggestion that it's most likely an admin error.

Explain your situation to both your supervisor and department manager and ask them if they can please change the schedule.

You need to know ASAP.

If they cannot do this ask for an explanation and then escalate to the store assistant manager.

If that person cannot do anything then work until the week before you want to leave and hand in your notice accordingly. Sure they may be miffed, but hell, your whole future depends on your exams.

You got this job and you can always get another.

Keep this is perspective. Tell your parents what has happened and I'm certain they will back you all the way.
Completely agree with uber here. Talk to them, if they don't budge, keep bugging them about it once every week or so. If they haven't budged by the time your exams come around, quit at the last possible moment.

You won't get in trouble for bringing up issues like that, management might not be too thrilled to hear about it, but they won't punish you for it, your exams were planned well ahead of this rota, and you made them aware of the dates.
(edited 6 years ago)
I agree with the above. Stick to your guns. And your hours
I'm more concerned to hear that you say you don't get paid for overtime!!!!!!!
You can't be expected to work 26 hours and get paid for 8. Slavery and indentured servitude is illegal in this country. You are entitled to minimum wage for each hour. You need legal advice if it's true!!
Original post by Sammylou40
I agree with the above. Stick to your guns. And your hours
I'm more concerned to hear that you say you don't get paid for overtime!!!!!!!
You can't be expected to work 26 hours and get paid for 8. Slavery and indentured servitude is illegal in this country. You are entitled to minimum wage for each hour. You need legal advice if it's true!!
I think the OP means a flat hourly rate which is the same as the normal rate with no overtime premium paid for the extra hours.
Reply 12
You are legally required to work 8 hours a week in your contract. That's the first thing to look at, secondly: Inspect it and see what they have mentioned about overtime. If they mention that overtime is available if you so choose then you can tell them to stuff it and refuse to do it.
Original post by SoIace
You are legally required to work 8 hours a week in your contract. That's the first thing to look at, secondly: Inspect it and see what they have mentioned about overtime. If they mention that overtime is available if you so choose then you can tell them to stuff it and refuse to do it.

He mentioned that his contract says that his hours can be modified by his manager at anytime necessary
I've never heard of an employer being able to increase your working hours. Most of the jobs I've had have stated that the employer has the right to alter my hours of work with sufficient notice (the same notice I would have to give to quit) but never to increase or reduce them.

Check your contracts wording, that change of hours you are looking at may refer to altering the day and time of your shift, not how many they can roster you for.

Give your employer a chance to make it right, but stick to your guns. Don't feel like you're indentured to have to work those shifts. In the grand scheme of things, some menial supermarket job matters squat if it interferes with your exams.
Honestly its a major supermarket and they know how to draft their contracts. It will require them to be flexible about the hours available. If they arent then they can just fire them assuming they havent done their two years. This should all be resolved within 72 hours imo one way or the other. Get it sorted as otherwise its disruptive.
I had this exact situation only two weeks ago with my employer. I similarly work in a popular shop in Scotland.
No need to discuss handing in a notice etc as it likely won't get to that point. You definitely do need to bring it up and tell your manager it is not physically possible for you to do these hours and pass exams. My contract states that we can be given over time but can refuse it as long as it can get covered, however with exams the shifts always get covered as it's mega important. I was also scheduled to work two days that I had exams on, and told them of course I couldn't work and it all got sorted.
Stick to your guns and it'll all work out, but you definitely do need to talk to whoever does your rota.

Quick Reply

Latest