declaring cancelled policy Watch

rnv
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a question in regards to declaring cancelled policy.

About a year ago I had my policy cancelled due to no payment. I was abroad at the time and wasn't even aware that it happened as they didn't even notify me (totally my fault anyway).

I am now insured again, when I spoke to my insurer they said that 'its not a massive issue'. However when filling out all the details for new insurance, it asks whether you had insurance cancelled/declined etc, in the past 5 years I believe?

My question is, is there any way for the insurers to check this? as it didn't show up for my recent insurer's when they were checking.. is there any way I can check myself?
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
I have a question in regards to declaring cancelled policy.

About a year ago I had my policy cancelled due to no payment. I was abroad at the time and wasn't even aware that it happened as they didn't even notify me (totally my fault anyway).

I am now insured again, when I spoke to my insurer they said that 'its not a massive issue'. However when filling out all the details for new insurance, it asks whether you had insurance cancelled/declined etc, in the past 5 years I believe?

My question is, is there any way for the insurers to check this? as it didn't show up for my recent insurer's when they were checking.. is there any way I can check myself?
They will check, as there are agencies the insurance will check with to see if the information you have provided to the insurer is correct. However, long story short, if you do not tell your current insurance company about this then they are within their rights to cancel your policy you hold with them.

Sometimes declaring stuff such as that won't even affect your insurance premium as a result.
rnv
Rep:
?
My current insurer knows however my policy will run out soon and I wanted to look for a cheaper one hence the question of declaring.

Do you know what those agencies are called? Is there any way for me to check my record myself?
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
My current insurer knows however my policy will run out soon and I wanted to look for a cheaper one hence the question of declaring.

Do you know what those agencies are called? Is there any way for me to check my record myself?
You don't need to declare it if it's only been cancelled due to non-payment, that's why it didn't show up when they checked.

It's for things like not declaring points on your license or previous accidents, falsely saying your Mum or Dad is the main user of the vehicle etc.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JamesN88)
You don't need to declare it if it's only been cancelled due to non-payment, that's why it didn't show up when they checked.

It's for things like not declaring points on your license or previous accidents, falsely saying your Mum or Dad is the main user of the vehicle etc.
Thats a load of rubbish.
You need to declare ALL car insurance thats been cancelled. Thats why they ask when you get a quote. It doesnt matter why. And they can still check.
You have still had insurance cancelled. For all your new insurer knows, you could not pay again. You are still a risk.
An yes- if they find out you have lied and have in fact had insurance cancelled- they will cancel again.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)

You still need to declare it unfortunately.
Im not sure where they look to check, ive never wanted/needed to find this information out myself. I dont know if the insurers would tell you or not.
Declaring it is better than not declaring it and then getting in trouble later for it.
rnv
Rep:
?
Do you have to declare it forever or is it a certain amount of years? Would be bit silly if in 20 years I would still have to declare it
> Louis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
Do you have to declare it forever or is it a certain amount of years? Would be bit silly if in 20 years I would still have to declare it
You have to declare it every time you get insurance for the rest of your life.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
To summarise:

You must disclose the cancelled policy if asked;
Failing to do so is insurance fraud;
Insurers have a shared database called the MID which holds information - you cannot access this, but rest assured, you will be on it;
The length of time you have to disclose is based on the question you are asked. If you are asked for policies within the last 5/10/15 years, you must reply accordingly. If there is no time constraint, you must declare it always.

You can usually plead your case with new insurers when seeking quotes, but do bear in mind that cancelled policy will always affect you. Aim to not get another one.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Thats a load of rubbish.
You need to declare ALL car insurance thats been cancelled. Thats why they ask when you get a quote. It doesnt matter why. And they can still check.
You have still had insurance cancelled. For all your new insurer knows, you could not pay again. You are still a risk.
An yes- if they find out you have lied and have in fact had insurance cancelled- they will cancel again.
It's not, I used to sell car insurance.

You still need to declare it unfortunately.
Im not sure where they look to check, ive never wanted/needed to find this information out myself. I dont know if the insurers would tell you or not.
Declaring it is better than not declaring it and then getting in trouble later for it.
They check the Motor Insurance Bureau's central database, if it was only cancelled due to non-payment it doesn't get registered there as a voided policy.

(Original post by rnv)
If it puts your mind at rest tell them and the reason why. It's a generic catch all question but you won't have trouble getting insured because of it.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
Usually when they ask its in the last 5 years- but double check when asked.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not, I used to sell car insurance.

They check the Motor Insurance Bureau's central database, if it was only cancelled due to non-payment it doesn't get registered there as a voided policy.

If it puts your mind at rest tell them and the reason why. It's a generic catch all question but you won't have trouble getting insured because of it.
You used to sell insurance- sure you did.
You still have to declare it- whatever the reasons why, you still have insurance cancelled.
I think you will find the link below- especially the bit about "how does cancellation affect future policies?" explains more.
https://www.comparethemarket.com/car...ance-provider/
rnv
Rep:
?
I actually contacted Aviva today and they said I don't need to declare it as cancelled but I need to mention it before I actually buy the policy.

(Might be different for a different company)
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You used to sell insurance- sure you did.
Yes I did.

You still have to declare it- whatever the reasons why, you still have insurance cancelled.
I think you will find the link below- especially the bit about "how does cancellation affect future policies?" explains more.
https://www.comparethemarket.com/car...ance-provider/
Like I said it's a catch all question but non-payment doesn't matter. You can tell them just to be upfront but it won't affect anything.

Usually when they ask its in the last 5 years- but double check when asked.
Claims and Convictions is 5 years. Voided policies are officially with you for life, but in reality however long the MIB keep your data for.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
I actually contacted Aviva today and they said I don't need to declare it as cancelled but I need to mention it before I actually buy the policy.

(Might be different for a different company)
The thing to do(if you're searching online)
is get all your quotes without mentioning it and then phone them before purchase. If you tick that box on any comparison site they'll all automatically refuse to quote and tell you to call them.
rnv
Rep:
?
The thing to do(if you're searching online)
is get all your quotes without mentioning it and then phone them before purchase. If you tick that box on any comparison site they'll all automatically refuse to quote and tell you to call them.

Thats exactly what I did and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Whereas when I tick the box there's only a limited amount of insurers that will provide me a quote
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
Thats exactly what I did and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Whereas when I tick the box there's only a limited amount of insurers that will provide me a quote
Well, instead of using comparison sites then ring up the insurers and make sure that you tell them every thing correctly (including the issue you have brought up) and I'm sure they'd be able to help. As I said it might not even effect your insurance premium.

The last thing you want to do is lie to your insurer to find they have found out that you have been lying, as they can then forward your details to agencies which other insurers use which can lead you to finding a hard time finding an insurance which'll even insure you!
rnv
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Well, instead of using comparison sites then ring up the insurers and make sure that you tell them every thing correctly (including the issue you have brought up) and I'm sure they'd be able to help. As I said it might not even effect your insurance premium.

The last thing you want to do is lie to your insurer to find they have found out that you have been lying, as they can then forward your details to agencies which other insurers use which can lead you to finding a hard time finding an insurance which'll even insure you!
That's what I wanted to do! I assure you I would never lie as I wouldn't want to risk it
RoyalSheepy
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rnv)
That's what I wanted to do! I assure you I would never lie as I wouldn't want to risk it
Yeah, that'd be the best idea to give them a ring. Just make sure you answer all their questions correctly, and I reckon they could find you a cheaper quote than those of a comparison site. Just make sure you don't lie to the insurance, as tempting as it may seem to get a cheaper quote, it won't do you any favours when they find out you've been lying to them.

P.s. I never use comparison sites because they're utter garbage, always go through the insurers site to get a quote or ring them up.
Finisfin222
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can check your details on mib. You have data protection act rights and can ask them to give you your details and can ask them to remove info. Insurance companies are not allowed to share info with other companies directly and only put your details on mib. So if you check your mib data and it shows no cancellations you will not have to claim it but can always explain to new insurers it has been just to be safe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise