Why do poor people vote for the Torys? Watch

mashbbk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My honest opinion is that it is all down to immigration. People either think there is too much, hate all immigration altogether, or perhaps even be bigots/racists. Some may even blame their social or economic problems on them.
BigYoSpeck
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hpcp)
Also some small businesses the 10 min wage can basically bankrupt them or reduce the number of staff they can have
Can raise unemployment

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure similar arguments were made against emancipation but it's called social progress.

Zero hour contracts and wages not high enough to live on are wrong.
1010marina
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hpcp)
Deal breaker to vote conservative?
Well he has a 10 billion gap in his plans according to IFS just by looking at the manifesto

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure how this came across but I was trying to say I wouldn't vote for Corbyn just because he's Corbyn.

And after his recent conduct even less so.

Though after the manifesto release I am leaving towards lib dem over Tory anyway
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
I'm sure similar arguments were made against emancipation but it's called social progress.

Zero hour contracts and wages not high enough to live on are wrong.
No, it's called counterproductive virtue-signalling. Left-wing regimes across the world have always promised the earth but delivered very little: look at places like Venezuela where universal healthcare was declared to be a right, but in practice it was terrible and the only way to get even basic treatments was by money changing hands under the counter.

There's no point in having a higher minimum wage if it puts considerable numbers of people out of work.

The problem with all populist ideologies is that they present these issues as easy questions with easy answers. Wages can rise at the flick of the legislator's pen and all that. In reality, if you want a higher-wage economy, you should be doing the hard work to challenge our pretty poor levels of productivity. But that doesn't make for an easy soundbite.
Jimbo1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Moura)
I see so many working class people unsure whether to vote for Labour or Tory or are actively saying they will vote Tory... I fail to understand this. The majority of people in the UK will be adversely affected by anything the Tories do. The only thing they are interested in is ensuring the same people who are on top stay there and those at the bottom do the same. Even middle class I think have to be pretty unpleasant people to vote for them. I just don't understand WHY they are in power. Are people that conditioned that they think that they are lesser than those who have money?
Because the Tories increased the Tax Free amount so ya know..........helped poor people :rolleyes:
That too obvious?
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To support women!
paul1966
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I find it unbelievable that people vote conservative
paul1966
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with some of the points made. I think many of the poor do actually think they are the 'aspiring middle class'. I my opinion, most modern British people are individualistic and have quite large ego's and as such, when they vote conservative, they believe they are either voting themselves into the middle class or are 'middle class'. In the last election Ed Miliband actually had some great policies that would of helped poor low income families but his message was 'workers all stand together'. The public could of course not relate to this or identify with this, because most voters do NOT consider themselves as a 'workers' but instead consider themselves as 'managers'. So why would they vote to be equal to the guy next door.
paul1966
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
About the middle class & hard work. A working class person has a different interpretation to what 'hard work' is to a middle class person. If for example a working class person started a business & worked really hard and made lots of money and bought a house in a middle class area, the working class person would say 'I have worked really hard to get into the middle class so i deserve it. The middle class person would look at the working class person and think 'you are not middle class, because you can't work hard to get into the middle class, but you must be born into it!'.
paul1966
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But all that I have said, I saw a statistic that 43% of working class people vote conservative? It really is unbelievable.
paul1966
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my opinion, its so important for democracy that students vote LABOUR today to balance the fact that 90% of retired people vote Conservative. If the Conservatives win with a large majority then they will introduce a massive list of policies & cuts that will handicap the life progression & aspirations of a lot of young people & working families alike.
Mair18919
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
A lot of this just boils down to seeing the working class as cavemen who can never hold social liberally views which is an incredibly patronising and offensive view.
So wrong. Firstly I do not subscribe to your prejudice that to not hold so called
"social liberally views" is to be a "caveman". I would argue that as a society we
are paying a very heavy price for "social liberally views", and despite
it's temptations, it is far from being an incontestable positive. How do you know those working class 'cavemen' don't have valid reasons to hold their views, which time may prove correct , while you turn out to be mistaken?

However, I agree that working class people do also sometimes embrace
the full panoply of so called 'social liberal' views, but I was speaking of those
who don't and who vote Tory, despite the economic perks of voting left. So there
was nothing 'patronising' in my post, still less "offensive".
Mair18919
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by paul1966)
In my opinion, its so important for democracy that students vote LABOUR today to balance the fact that 90% of retired people vote Conservative. If the Conservatives win with a large majority then they will introduce a massive list of policies & cuts that will handicap the life progression & aspirations of a lot of young people & working families alike.
No it's important for students to listen to the debates and think things through carefully, and not be herded into voting Labour because you and others on the left say so!
Your bias is glaring!!
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The way out of poverty is through economic growth and the creation of jobs for people to go to, hence the logic in poor people with a work-ethic voting Tory. If they are bone-idled and all they want from life is for the State to carry them in arms... then yes, Labour is the party that gives you extra in benefits.

There has never been more employment in this country and our european would kill for our jobless rates. What else do you want?
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
The way out of poverty is through economic growth and the creation of jobs for people to go to, hence the logic in poor people with a work-ethic voting Tory. If they are bone-idled and all they want from life is for the State to carry them in arms... then yes, Labour is the party that gives you extra in benefits.

There has never been more employment in this country and our european would kill for our jobless rates. What else do you want?
Lol. The increase in jobs has been largely fuelled by an increase in people becoming self-employed after being unable to find other employment.

Wages have fallen behind inflation, living standards have dropped, house prices have soared. Not to mention the problems the NHS and other public services are facing.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Lol. The increase in jobs has been largely fuelled by an increase in people becoming self-employed after being unable to find other employment.

Wages have fallen behind inflation, living standards have dropped, house prices have soared. Not to mention the problems the NHS and other public services are facing.
The Tories inherited a difficult situation, at least unemployment is at an all time low and that is a very good thing. There is no such thing as a perfect world.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
The Tories inherited a difficult situation, at least unemployment is at an all time low and that is a very good thing. There is no such thing as a perfect world.
Wages have stagnated. People are earning less than they were before the recession. Public sector workers have faced a pay freeze, which in real terms mean their wages have gone down.

Jobs are increasingly insecure with more and more people either self-employed or the gig economy. Home ownership is down, NHS waiting times are up.

Maybe that's good enough for you, it certainly isn't for most people.

Employment is only good in so far that it allows a person to be able to live at a certain level of comfort. It isn't doing that at the moment.
Stunted Elf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Moura)
I see so many working class people unsure whether to vote for Labour or Tory or are actively saying they will vote Tory...
Indecision is not confined to the working class's, people from all groups are often unsure which party to vote for.

(Original post by Moura)
I fail to understand this.
Your failure to understand their indescision, does not make it wrong for them be feel that way[/quote]

(Original post by Moura)
The majority of people in the UK will be adversely affected by anything the Tories do.
That is an entirely self opinionated and subjective comment which ads nothing to the debate.[/quote]

(Original post by Moura)
The only thing they are interested in is ensuring the same people who are on top stay there and those at the bottom do the same. Even middle class I think have to be pretty unpleasant people to vote for them.
So you think that people who have come to a different political descision than yourself are 'unpleasant'. That statement actually makes no-one but yourself seem unpleasant.

(Original post by Moura)
I just don't understand WHY they are in power. Are people that conditioned that they think that they are lesser than those who have money?
Again this just says more about you and your lack of understanding than it does for the people who you are talking about.
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Moura)
I see so many working class people unsure whether to vote for Labour or Tory or are actively saying they will vote Tory... I fail to understand this. The majority of people in the UK will be adversely affected by anything the Tories do. The only thing they are interested in is ensuring the same people who are on top stay there and those at the bottom do the same. Even middle class I think have to be pretty unpleasant people to vote for them. I just don't understand WHY they are in power. Are people that conditioned that they think that they are lesser than those who have money?
Because the working class makes up the majority of the electorate so it's essential that the Tories target them with policies and ideology that appeals to them, in order to get elected. Millions of pounds go into achieving this. And no, I'm not saying it's 'propaganda' or whatever nonsense. All parties do it. The Tories have just been particularly effective at it - partly because they are so well funded by the upper class. The tide seems to be turning against them though, for now anyway.
username2766878
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because believe it or not, not every single poor person in the country wants to remain poor for the rest of their lives, stuck in council housing and dependent on benefits. Some people genuinely want to lift themselves out of poverty, not vote for the party which wants to accommodate poverty and promote dependence for political gain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads