JamColor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a Caribbean Student doing A-levels (British System) and I have a British Citizenship.

So I applied to some schools in the UK through UCAS and some in Canada.
My A-levels are Business, Art, Marine Science and Travel and Tourism.

My AS grades are: ABBC (Business - A, Art - B, Marine Science - B, and Travel and Tourism - C)
My Predicted grades for A2 are AAAB
And I have a great amount of extracurricular activities and awards, although I am aware that McGill mainly looks at grades.

For the UK I have received conditional offers for:
UCL (University College of London) - ABB - Urban Planning
University of Manchester - ABB - Urban Planning
Nottingham University - A*AB or AAA - Architecture
UWE Bristol - 140 tariff points - Architecture

However for Canada I have already been declined from two top universities which is making me really nervous. They are: University of British Colombia (UBC) and University of Toronto (UofT)

UBC for a bachelor in arts (Urban Studies) - I believe I got declined because they have a list of A-levels they don't consider Academic enough, and Art and Travel and Tourism were on that list, which I was not aware of till after.

UofT for Architecture and I'm not sure why. I was probably not competitive enough unfortunately.

I also applied to McGill for a bachelor of arts, so I can do Geography - Urban Systems. The grade requirements are as follows:

Actual grades of ABB or predicted grades of AAB.

And I also applied for Urban Studies at The University of Western Ontario (Western). Grade requirements for this university aren't too specific.

Based on the information I provided, what are the chances of me getting into McGill or Western. I really like Canada. Please can you give your feedback. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
ellie80
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know the answer but i hope my 2 cents is helpful

Canada? hmm. UCL's planning school is really top drawer IMO along with architecture, its RICS accredited and RITP accredited and UK is great place to get qualified for those sort of degrees

Do you want to be a "real" Architect if so in UK you need RIBA accredited degree, any other won't let you be an architect in UK

The planning degree will allow you to get charted as a town planner or surveyor, but not an architect
JamColor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ellie80)
I don't know the answer but i hope my 2 cents is helpful

Canada? hmm. UCL's planning school is really top drawer IMO along with architecture, its RICS accredited and RITP accredited and UK is great place to get qualified for those sort of degrees

Do you want to be a "real" Architect if so in UK you need RIBA accredited degree, any other won't let you be an architect in UK

The planning degree will allow you to get charted as a town planner or surveyor, but not an architect
Thank you for the feedback! I actually want to become a Urban Planner or architect and don't think I want to live in the UK. I understand UCL is a fantastic school but I really like McGill as well.
zombiejon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly, if your grades are exactly what they specify as a requirement, it's a 50/50 proposition if you are going to get in or not.

It probably will come down to what else is listed on your CV.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (7)
50%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (1)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (6)
42.86%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads