The Student Room Group

UCL or Loughborough ? - Construction

Construction management. Recieved an offer from both, got grades for both not sure which one to choose.
have family to share with in london so i can get away with living costs.

That aside any advice from students at either uni? Both degrees RICS accredited. Visited loughborough very impressed that they already had consortium of employers at interview looking for graduates. Not sure about UCL and what their employment links and support are?

Leaning towards loughborough but lots of older people keep telling me i'd be mad not to choose UCL? they say it's really prestigious though i'm not sure if that means i'll have more job opportunities. ( have little construction experience tho not at management, and only on domestic)
i have a friend who did project management at UCL, graduated 2 years ago.

im not sure what hes exactly doing right now but I know its a really good job with a good salary and something to do with his degree.

i dont know much about the industry but it sounds like UCL is better especially because of the international name it provides (construction is an international industry afterall)
UCL has a strong brand name and is well known to employers but perhaps more importantly, their Project Management for Construction degree is based at The Bartlett (a very prestigious school of architecture, urban studies, planning and construction). Prestige isn't everything, but it's something to consider.

I would be very surprised if Loughborough had better employment links than UCL, why don't you contact the department and ask about career prospects/which employers visit the dept each year looking for graduates? Or better yet, visit and get a feel for the campus.
Depends on the subject. If you definitely want to go into Construction Management, I'd go to whichever place has the better course.

But as far as general reputation goes, I would personally I'd pick UCL. It's a much older university with a more established reputation. It also has an excellent global reputation, which can't hurt.

Loughborough currently ranks high on national league tables but I would take that with a huge pinch of salt (as well as national rankings in general, they are a dodgy representation of universities' reputations and are only there to give you a very basic idea of where universities stand - even the top 10 has universities that shouldn't be there).

Tbh it probably won't make that much difference to your employment prospects, but employers in general are probably more likely to have heard of UCL than Loughborough, which might give you a slight edge (but not as much as people on this site will have you believe).
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
UCL has a strong brand name and is well known to employers but perhaps more importantly, their Project Management for Construction degree is based at The Bartlett (a very prestigious school of architecture, urban studies, planning and construction). Prestige isn't everything, but it's something to consider.

I would be very surprised if Loughborough had better employment links than UCL, why don't you contact the department and ask about career prospects/which employers visit the dept each year looking for graduates? Or better yet, visit and get a feel for the campus.

Cheers for feedback:smile:, I visited both Loughborough and UCL and chatted with staff and students, with Loughborough they had a consortium of employers( the employers interviewed me as well) which you can sign up to be sponsored by which already line up the sandwich year and give grad jobs . (they really made the effort)

UCL is more prestigious but it's like they give you less help to get the job, (as if they don't really care if you get it or not),I'm worried about being "hung out to dry" after i graduate

If i pick Loughborough i feel like i'm throwing away a golden chance to get UCL on my CV and get a big job in london. But if i pick UCL i feel like i'm throwing away the chance to study in a learning environment that really suits me and i'd really enjoy, and has a good sandwich year with an employer
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest