The Student Room Group

What to write for 'Software Engineering' apprenticeship application

Hi everyone,

I am a 6th form leaver who is applying for software engineering apprenticeships. I did ICT, Media and Sociology at A-levels and really want some hands-on practical experience in the workplace in a programming/software development role.

I have some experience in programming during a course and also build upon these skills at home.

I am willing to apply to a number of apprenticeships in this area but I do not know how to start off an application under 'Why do you want to do this apprenticeship?'/supporting information statement.

I have just recently got into this career path so I don't have heaps and heaps of experience. I do have a strong passion for it however and would like to see myself developing code for video games in the future.

I would appreciate it if somebody could help me and give me some advice on how to write a supporting statement for a software engineering application.

THANK-YOU
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Hi everyone,

I am a 6th form leaver who is applying for software engineering apprenticeships. I did ICT, Media and Sociology at A-levels and really want some hands-on practical experience in the workplace in a programming/software development role.

I have some experience in programming during a course and also build upon these skills at home.

I am willing to apply to a number of apprenticeships in this area but I do not know how to start off an application under 'Why do you want to do this apprenticeship?'/supporting information statement.

I have just recently got into this career path so I don't have heaps and heaps of experience. I do have a strong passion for it however and would like to see myself developing code for video games in the future.

I would appreciate it if somebody could help me and give me some advice on how to write a supporting statement for a software engineering application.

THANK-YOU

Write from the heart. Don't worry about structuring for now, just get some content down. What do you want to do in the future? How will this apprenticeship help you achieve that? Why is this apprenticeship perfect for you? Why are you the perfect person for the apprenticeship? What skills are you looking to develop? Think about your answers to these questions, and try to explain your passion so they can understand it and you as a person. Be passionate in your writing, let it shine through. Once you've got some stuff down, then start to structure it. Just let it sound natural
Start by jotting down a list of all the reasons you want to do an engineering apprenticeship, there must be quite a few as you wouldn't have chosen it other wise? From these bullet points, you can begin to form sentences with them, which could become your opening statement.

You could also apply to this to other aspects about yourself, such as extra curricular activities you have done, soft skills developed through school/activities/internships etc. Once you have the main parts of each sentence, you'll be able to formulate it into a full statement.

Don't forget to have someone read over it - friend, family member, teacher or career advisor. It's so important to get a second pair of eyes, they might see an easy error you missed. It's also good to hear other peoples opinions, they might have a better way in which to phrase something, or remind you of something else you've done that's Worthy of including!
Reply 3
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Write from the heart. Don't worry about structuring for now, just get some content down. What do you want to do in the future? How will this apprenticeship help you achieve that? Why is this apprenticeship perfect for you? Why are you the perfect person for the apprenticeship? What skills are you looking to develop? Think about your answers to these questions, and try to explain your passion so they can understand it and you as a person. Be passionate in your writing, let it shine through. Once you've got some stuff down, then start to structure it. Just let it sound natural

Thank-you for taking the time to write some ideas down. The problem is, I have been so tied up in making the 'perfect' application that I do forget to write from the heart and just be real about my passion for coding and the things it can do for society. I will definitely take these questions into account and start writing up my thoughts. Then later, I can worry about structure.

Thanks ever so much!
Reply 4
Original post by Milkround
Start by jotting down a list of all the reasons you want to do an engineering apprenticeship, there must be quite a few as you wouldn't have chosen it other wise? From these bullet points, you can begin to form sentences with them, which could become your opening statement.

You could also apply to this to other aspects about yourself, such as extra curricular activities you have done, soft skills developed through school/activities/internships etc. Once you have the main parts of each sentence, you'll be able to formulate it into a full statement.

Don't forget to have someone read over it - friend, family member, teacher or career advisor. It's so important to get a second pair of eyes, they might see an easy error you missed. It's also good to hear other peoples opinions, they might have a better way in which to phrase something, or remind you of something else you've done that's Worthy of including!

Thank-you! Another person that has made it sound so simple while I over-complicated everything.

Well my extra curricular activities are far more different compared to the software engineering apprenticeship - but the skills I adapted are VERY relevant to the description of the apprenticeships I have seen. So I just tie in these skills/importance of skills how 'i am perfect for the job'?

Thank-you
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Thank-you! Another person that has made it sound so simple while I over-complicated everything.

Well my extra curricular activities are far more different compared to the software engineering apprenticeship - but the skills I adapted are VERY relevant to the description of the apprenticeships I have seen. So I just tie in these skills/importance of skills how 'i am perfect for the job'?

Thank-you

I know how it feels to think super deeply into things like this, don't worry about it. A fresh perspective can really help :yep:

Definitely. If you gained transferrable skills then it's still really relevant and they'll want to hear all about it
Reply 6
Thank-you so much for your understanding
If I do need any more help, I will definitely message this thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending