The Student Room Group

DMU or NTU?

I want to study law as my chosen course for university however, I am not sure whether I want to pick De Montfort University or Nottingham Trent University. I have visited only NTU for their open day and (I was unable to visit DMU earlier due to personal reasons) DMU's next open day is after the deadline that I need to reply to my offers. I'm not just looking at how good a university's law course is but how multicultural the city is (I'm from London so I'm used to diverse city) , the nightlife, accommodation and overall feel of the university. I also am a fitness fanatic and would like to know how good the uni gym is and the cost of using it. If you could weigh up the pros and cons for me and give a conclusion as to why you think I should pick DMU over NTU or NTU over DMU, I'll be very grateful. The deadline to reply to my offers is the May 4th.
Thanks in advance
Original post by F4ith
I want to study law as my chosen course for university however, I am not sure whether I want to pick De Montfort University or Nottingham Trent University. I have visited only NTU for their open day and (I was unable to visit DMU earlier due to personal reasons) DMU's next open day is after the deadline that I need to reply to my offers. I'm not just looking at how good a university's law course is but how multicultural the city is (I'm from London so I'm used to diverse city) , the nightlife, accommodation and overall feel of the university. I also am a fitness fanatic and would like to know how good the uni gym is and the cost of using it. If you could weigh up the pros and cons for me and give a conclusion as to why you think I should pick DMU over NTU or NTU over DMU, I'll be very grateful. The deadline to reply to my offers is the May 4th.
Thanks in advance

I didn't study law, but I went to uni in Nottingham and I can tell you that it's such a great student city. It's cheap, has great nightlife and is a truly multicultural city.
Trent is also known for having a real sense of community and is a really social university. NTU have they're own gyms, but there are also loads of cheap and well equipt gyms in the city center like "The Gym". NTU also have really modern accommodation and two SUs (City and Clifton) both of which have been refurbish in the past 5/6 years.

I've tagged in @Nottingham Trent University and @De Montfort University so they can hopefully answer some of your questions to.
Coming from someone who goes to DMU,

I recommend you do to NTU, they have a brilliant rep for law, one of the few universities in the country to offer the BPTC

However, I'll give you a bit of info on DMU,
DMU law school in reality is actually really good, the tutors and staff are all very helpful, the module choices are great! There are loads of societies at DMU and if there isn't one you like it is very easy to start a new society. The DMU gym is great and pretty cheap for what you get (I believe it's under £200 for the full year and less depending on what option you go for). Student accommodation is pretty standard (£104-135 a week on average in first year).

Nightlife is alright, I think it just depends on if you make good friends to have a good night out with as opposed to it being good or bad, the city isn't too expensive, everything is sort of within a mile of each other. Leicester and DMU are very very multicultural, lots of people from London attend DMU

The university campus had a recent revamp and it now looks incredible.

Also the library at DMU is brilliant, not to mention DMU is one of the few universities in the country to have a subject specific law library.

Both are good universities for law, It just depends you and how far you'd like to travel, traveling to London from Leicester is about 1hr - 1.5hrs and about £37
Original post by F4ith
Thanks in advance

Hi F4ith

First of all, thanks for considering NTU! As leithiandis mentioned, studying Law at NTU comes highly recommended. According to the National Student Survey, 96% of our students are satisfied with the quality of this course and, based on the latest HESA data, 97% of our law graduates are employed or engaged in further study six months after leaving.

Nottingham is a proudly multicultural city and, with two major universities, is home to over 60,000 students and one of the youngest populations in the UK - meaning you’ll never be far from like-minded people.

Nottingham is also one of the most cost-effective places to study in the UK and, although your pennies may stretch a bit further, the city offers one of the best nights out in Britain. There’s loads of options from chic cocktail bars to cosy pubs and club nights to suit every music taste.

As I’m sure you know, you’ll be based at our City Campus if you choose to join us, where all of our super-popular accommodation is within walking distance of the Law School (those that are slightly further than a 30 minute walk include unlimited bus travel as part of your rental agreement).

Sport and fitness are a huge part of the NTU experience. Our City Sports Centre was opened in 2013 and houses everything you could need from a two-storey, 100-station gym, a dance studio that hosts fitness classes and club sessions we’ve even got a 30ft climbing wall!

Monthly gym membership options range from £8.99 - £12.99 per month and include unlimited use of all NTU gyms and sports facilities, as well as fitness classes, blast sessions, access to qualified instructors amongst other benefits!

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions let me know :smile:

Thanks
Chris NTU TSR Rep
Hi there,

Sorry for the late response, hopefully you're still considering DMU. If so, is there anything at all that we can help you with?

You can get in touch with us here, tweet us (@DMUenquiry), call us (0116 2 50 60 70) or email us ([email protected]) and we'll be happy to help where we can.

Take care,

Emily
Reply 5
Thank you everyone for your advice, I decided to choose NTU as my place of study.
Original post by F4ith
Thank you everyone for your advice, I decided to choose NTU as my place of study.

Hi F4ith,

That's awesome! Welcome to the Trent Army!

giphy.gif

What are you most looking forward to about joining NTU?

If you have any further questions just let me know :smile:

Chris - NTU TSR Rep
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi F4ith,

giphy.gif

Chris - NTU TSR Rep

Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi F4ith,

giphy.gif

Chris - NTU TSR Rep

I'm looking forward to being in a new city and the different experiences I will have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending