Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Graduate Entry Medicine starting 2019 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Just thought I'd start a thread for people thinking of applying for GEM courses starting 2019. Please introduce a bit about yourself like your degree, work experience, grades and why you're thinking of applying for medicine.
    I'm currently in first year English at Oxford, and my experience working for a helpline made me realise that I want to help people in my future career. I've also found humanities, particularly English, to be frustrating in terms of poor course structure, unclear marking guidelines, and, despite its claims of being a 'subjective' and 'open' subject, is actually sticking to a very rigid and canonical syllabus. Medicine, whilst difficult and hard work, appeals because it is an entirely different way of learning and it would be harder to lose motivation because at the end of the day you're becoming qualified to do something, and what you learn has practical application. My grades from school are 8A*s 1A and A levels are A* AA in History, Spanish and English. It's too early to predict my final degree but am currently producing work at a low 2:1 standard (mainly due to lack of motivation from frustration with the course, I hope this will change by having the goal of applying to medical school at the end of it).
    From my initial research, the unis that appealed the most, and offered GEM to BA grads, are Nottingham, Newcastle, Warwick and Southampton.
    To get the ball rolling for discussion: what qualifies as good work experience? Would my work for the helpline count?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently in my second year studying Psychology with Clinical and Health Psychology at Bangor University in North Wales.
    I have had various work experience in multiple environment but because this was before my degree started, it will not be relevant by the time I graduate.
    I'm applying for medicine because throughout my degree, I have wanted to learn less about the mind, and more about the body and how it works. I went to a school where getting into Medicine was an Impossible dream so I went with the undergraduate degree in Psychology just because I'd be able to go into a caring profession one day.
    My grades are far from impressive. A Level - BBDc and GCSE's - 5A's, 3B's, and 4C's. Currently looking at a low 2.1 for second year.
    Dream Schools IN DESCENDING ORDER:
    Barts and the London (QMUL)
    Warwick
    Newcastle
    Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sean170296)
    Hey,

I'm currently in my second year studying Psychology with Clinical and Health Psychology at Bangor University in North Wales.
    I have had various work experience in multiple environment but because this was before my degree started, it will not be relevant by the time I graduate.
    I'm applying for medicine because throughout my degree, I have wanted to learn less about the mind, and more about the body and how it works. I went to a school where getting into Medicine was an Impossible dream so I went with the undergraduate degree in Psychology just because I'd be able to go into a caring profession one day.
    My grades are far from impressive. A Level - BBDc and GCSE's - 5A's, 3B's, and 4C's. Currently looking at a low 2.1 for second year.
    Dream Schools IN DESCENDING ORDER:
    Barts and the London (QMUL)
    Warwick
    Newcastle
    Nottingham
    Hi, thanks for replying to my thread! According to my brief research into GEM entry requirements they care far more that you get a 2:1 than what you got at A levels, and some courses accept a 2:2. Out of interest, what work experience did you do before starting your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Austenmiltonsa)
    Hi, thanks for replying to my thread! According to my brief research into GEM entry requirements they care far more that you get a 2:1 than what you got at A levels, and some courses accept a 2:2. Out of interest, what work experience did you do before starting your degree?
    I had 18 months work experience entertaining in a children's outpatients ward whilst they were waiting for treatment. I also had a week shadowing various doctors in different departments and finally, I spent a month volunteering in a Dementia care home experiencing what it was like to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Just thought I'd start a thread for people thinking of applying for GEM courses starting 2019. Please introduce a bit about yourself like your degree, work experience, grades and why you're thinking of applying for medicine.
    I'm currently in first year English at Oxford, and my experience working for a helpline made me realise that I want to help people in my future career. I've also found humanities, particularly English, to be frustrating in terms of poor course structure, unclear marking guidelines, and, despite its claims of being a 'subjective' and 'open' subject, is actually sticking to a very rigid and canonical syllabus. Medicine, whilst difficult and hard work, appeals because it is an entirely different way of learning and it would be harder to lose motivation because at the end of the day you're becoming qualified to do something, and what you learn has practical application. My grades from school are 8A*s 1A and A levels are A* AA in History, Spanish and English. It's too early to predict my final degree but am currently producing work at a low 2:1 standard (mainly due to lack of motivation from frustration with the course, I hope this will change by having the goal of applying to medical school at the end of it).
    From my initial research, the unis that appealed the most, and offered GEM to BA grads, are Nottingham, Newcastle, Warwick and Southampton.
    To get the ball rolling for discussion: what qualifies as good work experience? Would my work for the helpline count?
    Good afternoon,

I am considering sitting the GAMSAT exam in September 2018 with the hope of starting GEM in September 2019. I wonder whether you've considered simply leaving your course at the end of this year and applying for Medicine as an undergraduate? I know a number of people who were unhappy in their first year and simply changed discipline.

ReputationRep:
    Is this still going on haha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaiusBalthar)
    Good afternoon,

I am considering sitting the GAMSAT exam in September 2018 with the hope of starting GEM in September 2019. I wonder whether you've considered simply leaving your course at the end of this year and applying for Medicine as an undergraduate? I know a number of people who were unhappy in their first year and simply changed discipline.
    Hey, sorry for the late reply, student room didn't notify me? I considered transferring but I left it to late to do science a levels and I don't really want to start a 5/6 year medical degree aged 21 with all 18 year olds. And whilst I don't hugely enjoy my degree, I love my uni and as it's so uncertain that I'd even get into med school, having this degree means that I am still very employable. How are you preparing for the GAMSAT? Did you do any science a levels/science undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Is this still going on haha?
    I'm still keen to apply! Are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still keen to apply! Are you thinking of applying?
    I am indeed! Glad this thread is still active

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I am wanting to apply for GEM in 2019. I am currently studying biomedical science at University of Warwick and I have finished my first year with a first class.
    My academics are not stellar. For GCSE'S I got 4A*'s and 5A's and for A levels, I got A*BB.
    In terms of work experience, I have volunteered for 6 months in a dementia care home; Also I have volunteered in a hospice for 2 weeks and I shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon, and I got to stand in two surgeries. But I feel like these are too old to be considered.
    Currently, I am working as an HCA.
    I am most interested in warwick, kings, barts and southampton

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm a biological science students about to go into my 4th year. I'm planning to apply next year after I graduate for 2019 entry. I only decided this year (well two months ago) that I would like to study medicine so don't have much direct work experience. However, the experience I do have is:
    - Volunteering secretary for my sports club so organised a variety of volunteering events.
    - Coached people with disabilities in hockey.
    - Organised events for older members of the local community.
    - Volunteered with reception/nursery aged kids for an hour a week for about three months.
    - I am currently volunteering at a Mind charity shop in my university town.
    I'm planning to spend my 4th year and grad-summer plus post-uni 'gap year' getting further experience in hospital environment etc.

I plan to sit the GAMSAT in March 2018 with the hope that it goes well so I don't have to worry about it when I'm sitting the UKCAT. However, if it goes badly but I still want to carry on with it, I can resit in September 2018.

The universities I'm most interested in are: King's, Barts, St George's and Newcastle.
    If by some miracle funding becomes available for 5 year second degree medical courses, then I'll apply to Bristol as my 'safety-net'.

This is all so exciting even though it's such a long way away!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've just finished my second year of a Biomedical Science degree at QMUL with a high 2:1, hoping to apply for GEM 2019 entry. My grades sadly weren't enough for me to get a place into medical school during my school years, so i realised I had to take the longer route in order to achieve my dreams.
    My GCSE & A-level grades were pretty sub-standard, but for graduate entry medicine, none of those really matter; they place heavy emphasis on your degree, work exp and your UKCAT/GAMSAT scores.
    I've got pretty mediocre work experience; 18 months working in a community pharmacy and just started employment in a hospital pharmacy, 7 months as a ward volunteer at UCLH, but no clinical work experience so far cos they're so dam hard to organise ! [if anyone has any tips re work exp pls pls pls let me know!]
    The main unis that attract me are Warwick, Bart's, SGUL & King's.

Wish everyone the best in the forthcoming academic year, and enjoy the rest of your summer !!! I'll be paying attention to this thread more in the next year

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a large amount of GAMSAT resources, that I am looking to sell to someone to make use of. I have the full GRADMED course (cost around £2500), OXIMED tests, a selection of other tests, mini booklets and an MCAT book complete with CD.

I am open to offers and am happy to sell as a package or separately. I live in London, however I can post but due to the weight this will cost a large amount. Please get in contact if you are serious. You can email me on ewadejonesATyahoo.co.uk

Thanks, Ella

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllaLauren1988)
    Hi,

I have a large amount of GAMSAT resources, that I am looking to sell to someone to make use of. I have the full GRADMED course (cost around £2500), OXIMED tests, a selection of other tests, mini booklets and an MCAT book complete with CD.

I am open to offers and am happy to sell as a package or separately. I live in London, however I can post but due to the weight this will cost a large amount. Please get in contact if you are serious. You can email me on ewadejonesATyahoo.co.uk

Thanks, Ella
    Hi Ella,

How much would that all cost? Is there any resources you would recommend more than others?

Thanks, E

ReputationRep:
    Why aren't you applying for medicine this year (2017) for 2018 entry ?

ReputationRep:
    Many Newcastle hopefuls I see on this thread I've just finished my first year of medicine if anyone has any questions! Good luck with your applications everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinamarina)
    I personally only decided a few months ago that I want to study medicine so I need to spend my 4th year getting medical experience etc. Also, it's too late for me to revise for the GAMSAT and I probably don't have enough time for the UKCAT. Aditionally, I want to apply with my final grade, not a predicted grade, and try to get the highest mark I can this year.

Last reason is because I want a breat between my degrees xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Many Newcastle hopefuls I see on this thread I've just finished my first year of medicine if anyone has any questions! Good luck with your applications everyone!
    I'm assuming you're GEM at Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinamarina)
    I don't know who this is addressed to, but I mention in my original post starting the thread that I am a first year. I cannot obtain a place on a graduate entry medicine course until I have graduated, which won't be until 2019.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys ! I've just finished my first year of Biomedicine hoping to apply at the start of my third year.
    The main unis I am hoping 🙏🏽 to apply to are Kings, Warwick and Newcastle - still thinking of a fourth 🤔
    Gonna take the UKCAT this September and treat it as though it is the real thing so that I know where roughly I'm heading!
    Work experience isn't the best for me atm, my bros a dentist so I'm gonna shadow fellow dentists , I've just emailed like 15 surgeons and GP managers to see if I can volunteer 😭

Good to see so many of you ☺️ encouraging !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.