The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Haytham
Birmingham might be perfect for you since you will a have 1st class degree ! And no test !

Except Birmingham wants you to have finished your degree before applying
Considering taking a year out after graduation and applying for 2019 entry! One thing I've wondered is, I understand how the funding works for tuition fees but are there any student loans for living costs?
Original post by xoelisee
I need some honesty so thought I'd post here to see whether I stand a chance. I'm graduating this year with hopefully a 1st class in Biology, I'm not at the best uni but it's decent and whilst here I have won an award for getting highest in my year so I'm in decent standing. However I don't have any medicine-related work experience as medicine was never really my plan as I didn't think I was good enough, academically, for it. However several on my course have received offers for medicine which has shown me that I am capable of it. I absolutely love human biology and science in general, I did all three sciences at a-level and got ABB. Would it be worth taking a "gap year" after graduating and doing healthcare work experience and doing the MCAT and/or GAMSAT? Or would it better for me to get this idea out of my head and just do a masters degree and go into research?

If medicine is really what you want to do, then you should certainly apply. The 1st in Bio, along with those A-Level grades, and the right work experience should make you a strong candidate from gradmed (given you gain work experience, and work hard to ace the GAMSAT/UKCAT/BMAT (You mentioned MCAT, Are you applying to America?). It's really crucial to get Work exp so you have an insight of what you're essentially 'getting yourself into'
I'm considering a 2019 application to Newcastle and Warwick. :smile: Writing that makes it feel real. My background is in the arts/humanities and social sciences. I finished my PhD just over a year ago and now I'm working as a postdoctoral fellow in the humanities, doing some ad hoc lecturing on the side. I volunteer for six hours a week in the burns unit at a children's hospital and I have experience as a full-time support worker in a psychiatric unit. As that role didn't involve much hands-on physical care (the nurses dressed wounds and things like that) I'm looking for a part-time support work role in physical health to help with my decision. I have impaired motor coordination skills and I'm worried that even with reasonable adjustments I wouldn't cope with a full clinical training, but some HCA work in a hands-on environment should make it clear to me whether it's worth a go.
Original post by Jarlaskald
I'm considering a 2019 application to Newcastle and Warwick. :smile: Writing that makes it feel real. My background is in the arts/humanities and social sciences. I finished my PhD just over a year ago and now I'm working as a postdoctoral fellow in the humanities, doing some ad hoc lecturing on the side. I volunteer for six hours a week in the burns unit at a children's hospital and I have experience as a full-time support worker in a psychiatric unit. As that role didn't involve much hands-on physical care (the nurses dressed wounds and things like that) I'm looking for a part-time support work role in physical health to help with my decision. I have impaired motor coordination skills and I'm worried that even with reasonable adjustments I wouldn't cope with a full clinical training, but some HCA work in a hands-on environment should make it clear to me whether it's worth a go.

Welcome to the applicant family!!

I have a physical disability too so have looked into the fitness to practice guidelines. In general it seems as long as you know your condition, how it affects you, what your limits are and comply with any treatments then you should be fine. I know historically it was judged on how you could respond in an emergency, for example if someone in a wheelchair could perform CPR. For motor coordination I imagine the question would be if you can inject someone safely. Other than that there are plenty of specialities that don't necessitate fine motor skills so you should be fine.
How rogue do people think it is to make a sudden career change?

I'm about to graduate with a degree in Classics. No chemistry or biology A-Level, although I did do Mathematics. I'm planning on taking a year out, working as a HCA and volunteering at a Care Home for the year. Hopefully will also get some shadowing experience with Doctors at a GP or Hospital. Planning on studying for the GAMSAT and UKCAT over summer and then applying to Warwick, Swansea, Newcastle and Nottingham.

Most people I've spoken to have been supportive about it. A few have been utterly shocked and tried to convince me I'm crazy and that this is not at all possible with my degree and a-level background and one went so far as to say "i wouldnt want to be treated by you if you became a doctor with a classics degree".
Original post by Dr Otter
Welcome to the applicant family!!

I have a physical disability too so have looked into the fitness to practice guidelines. In general it seems as long as you know your condition, how it affects you, what your limits are and comply with any treatments then you should be fine. I know historically it was judged on how you could respond in an emergency, for example if someone in a wheelchair could perform CPR. For motor coordination I imagine the question would be if you can inject someone safely. Other than that there are plenty of specialities that don't necessitate fine motor skills so you should be fine.

It's reassuring to hear from another disabled applicant here. :smile: As a HCA I had to do mandatory training in CPR/BLS. I needed a bit more practice than the others, but I passed. I think I'd be just about OK with injections and cannulation too. My one worry is about suturing. I've watched videos of people doing it online and it looks fiddly. I'm not sure I've got the precision in my hands for that. This is why I'm really hoping for a job in a physical health setting, so I can work out before I even apply if I'd cope.

Original post by Lucilou101

Most people I've spoken to have been supportive about it. A few have been utterly shocked and tried to convince me I'm crazy and that this is not at all possible with my degree and a-level background and one went so far as to say "i wouldnt want to be treated by you if you became a doctor with a classics degree".

That's a weird thing to say, because you won't be becoming a doctor on the basics of your classics degree. You'd be one on the basis of your medical degree. I'd think a classics background would be pretty helpful, actually - so many anatomical terms come from Latin or Greek. More indirectly, you need a really analytical mind to get your head round the complex grammar systems of classical languages, and that sort of ability is useful in the sciences.
My one worry is about suturing. I've watched videos of people doing it online and it looks fiddly. I'm not sure I've got the precision in my hands for that.

I definitely wouldn't have thought suturing would be an essential skill that would preclude you from being a doctor. Just limits your opportunities in surgery.

Agreed with the post above. As long as you can get to the same level of basic science as the other applicants you shouldn't be at a significant disadvantage. I know there's a Cambridge graduate medicine admissions video where they even specifically discuss how they have a mix of backgrounds on the course including classics.
Additionally I personally think having a broad range of backgrounds in the field is the best way to get innovation. One example from Nottingham, a collaboration between the medical school and an Anglo-Saxon expert found a Medieval remedy that effectively treats MRSA.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/pressreleases/2015/march/ancientbiotics---a-medieval-remedy-for-modern-day-superbugs.aspx

That's a weird thing to say, because you won't be becoming a doctor on the basics of your classics degree. You'd be one on the basis of your medical degree. I'd think a classics background would be pretty helpful, actually - so many anatomical terms come from Latin or Greek. More indirectly, you need a really analytical mind to get your head round the complex grammar systems of classical languages, and that sort of ability is useful in the sciences.

Original post by Dr Otter

Agreed with the post above. As long as you can get to the same level of basic science as the other applicants you shouldn't be at a significant disadvantage. I know there's a Cambridge graduate medicine admissions video where they even specifically discuss how they have a mix of backgrounds on the course including classics.
Additionally I personally think having a broad range of backgrounds in the field is the best way to get innovation. One example from Nottingham, a collaboration between the medical school and an Anglo-Saxon expert found a Medieval remedy that effectively treats MRSA.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/pressreleases/2015/march/ancientbiotics---a-medieval-remedy-for-modern-day-superbugs.aspx

Thanks to you both :smile:

This was the same as my thought process and others who are supporting me. Still got a long way to go with revision for GAMSAT and work experience (which is proving quite difficult to attain), but I'm feeling hopeful and if I end up having to do another gap year after this one, then it's not the end of the world! I'll be 28 when I graduate if I manage to start in 2019, which seems fine to me! Although a few seem positively bowled over, thinking its practically middle aged! :rolleyes:
How rogue do people think it is to make a sudden career change?

I'm about to graduate with a degree in Classics. No chemistry or biology A-Level, although I did do Mathematics. I'm planning on taking a year out, working as a HCA and volunteering at a Care Home for the year. Hopefully will also get some shadowing experience with Doctors at a GP or Hospital. Planning on studying for the GAMSAT and UKCAT over summer and then applying to Warwick, Swansea, Newcastle and Nottingham.

Hey hey! I just thought I would weigh in because I did almost the same as you - I did Maths A-Level, no sciences, and then studied a politics degree before deciding medicine was for me in my final year. I've taken a year out this year and worked as a HCA, and did some shadowing both at a GP and in a Hospital. I did GAMSAT and UKCAT in the same summer and applied to Warwick, Swansea, Newcastle, and Notts. So I have a good idea of what you're facing!

A few people tried to convince me I was insane for wanting to swap - including some of my best friends. I continued anyway, and applied for 2018 entry and have just been accepted. Loads of people might tell you its a bit mad or say that GAMSAT will be too hard for you or even that medicine will be too hard for you without a science background. But you can and will do it - and it's worth it because otherwise, you might always have regrets! If you have any specific questions or just wanna chat, send me a PM! Best of luck!
Original post by simplytheworst
Hey hey! I just thought I would weigh in because I did almost the same as you - I did Maths A-Level, no sciences, and then studied a politics degree before deciding medicine was for me in my final year. I've taken a year out this year and worked as a HCA, and did some shadowing both at a GP and in a Hospital. I did GAMSAT and UKCAT in the same summer and applied to Warwick, Swansea, Newcastle, and Notts. So I have a good idea of what you're facing!

A few people tried to convince me I was insane for wanting to swap - including some of my best friends. I continued anyway, and applied for 2018 entry and have just been accepted. Loads of people might tell you its a bit mad or say that GAMSAT will be too hard for you or even that medicine will be too hard for you without a science background. But you can and will do it - and it's worth it because otherwise, you might always have regrets! If you have any specific questions or just wanna chat, send me a PM! Best of luck!

Ahh this is amazing! So glad to find someone in pretty much the exact same situation! I will PM you :smile:
hi congrats...where were you accepted? I am trying to look for a uni that wont look at my high school grades (australian) and my 2 uni degrees - one ordinary in teaching, one hons at 2:1 in architectural Technology!
i only got a 645 in Ukcat this year and was rejected. I am trying not to give up as I think i would make a really good doctor. (I know that sounds terrible but i honestly think its true). it annoys me that it is so competitive that they only take the cream of the crop without looking at the background and circumstances behind. With everything i went through for my 2:1 (67%) I cant believe I even managed to pass! but i meet the prerequisistes so are there any unis that would give me a chance at an interview?

Original post by Manicbex
hi congrats...where were you accepted? I am trying to look for a uni that wont look at my high school grades (australian) and my 2 uni degrees - one ordinary in teaching, one hons at 2:1 in architectural Technology!
i only got a 645 in Ukcat this year and was rejected. I am trying not to give up as I think i would make a really good doctor. (I know that sounds terrible but i honestly think its true). it annoys me that it is so competitive that they only take the cream of the crop without looking at the background and circumstances behind. With everything i went through for my 2:1 (67%) I cant believe I even managed to pass! but i meet the prerequisistes so are there any unis that would give me a chance at an interview?

So basically you're limited to thos which take non-science subjects which are:
- Swansea
- Nottingham
- Warwick
- Newcastle
- SGUL
- Southampton (if you have a chemistry A Level, or equivalent)

Basically all that's holding you back is the UKCAT - get a higher score and you could get guaranteed interviews at Newcastle and Warwick (and Southampton if you have Chemistry). Or you could sit the GAMSAT which would allow you to apply for Notts, Swansea and SGUL - be warned it's horribly expensive and a long exam, that requires a fair bit of preparation. I'm sure you know all about the GAMSAT anyway, beign Australian. But until you get that UKCAT up to 700 (or just below) then you have little chance at being interviewed. I know it seems a little unfair but it doesn't take too much to improve on the UKCAT so spend a good period of time on it (use Medify) and you'll do great. I have just been accepted by Warwick and spent a month practicing for the UKCAT which made all the difference to be honest. Any further questions, PM me. Best of luck!
Hi guys. Anyone here knows what to do if I have missed the deadline to sit for GAMSAT this March? And when do we start applying for 2019 entry?
Thank you in advance for your help! :smile:
thanks for that list. I havent lived/studied in Australia for 20yrs but hear it is an awful exam! I suppose I could have another go at the ukcat as it is the "lesser of 2 evils" . unfortunately I do best in essays so not sure whether I might stand a better chance at the GAMSAT (plus an aussie education might help!) its hard to get hold of practice essays for GAMSAT too.

So basically you're limited to thos which take non-science subjects which are:
- Swansea
- Nottingham
- Warwick
- Newcastle
- SGUL
- Southampton (if you have a chemistry A Level, or equivalent)

Basically all that's holding you back is the UKCAT - get a higher score and you could get guaranteed interviews at Newcastle and Warwick (and Southampton if you have Chemistry). Or you could sit the GAMSAT which would allow you to apply for Notts, Swansea and SGUL - be warned it's horribly expensive and a long exam, that requires a fair bit of preparation. I'm sure you know all about the GAMSAT anyway, beign Australian. But until you get that UKCAT up to 700 (or just below) then you have little chance at being interviewed. I know it seems a little unfair but it doesn't take too much to improve on the UKCAT so spend a good period of time on it (use Medify) and you'll do great. I have just been accepted by Warwick and spent a month practicing for the UKCAT which made all the difference to be honest. Any further questions, PM me. Best of luck!
Hi there, I hope I'm not too late to join the party.

I'm thinking of studying GEM in 2019. My academic background is a bit odd and not science related at all really, except for my MSc. I have a BA International Relations degree (first class) and a conversion MSc in Computer Science (Merit). I also have worked with young adults with Autism for about three years in a residential care home setting, currently working for the National Autistic Society. Literally no GCSE or A-Level qualifications graded above D so I can only apply to the four universities that don't take them into consideration.

Unfortunately, given that I don't feel I'll be able to prepare for both the UKCAT and the GAMSAT in time, I'll just have to revise for the UKCAT final test in October, but this means I can only apply to Newcastle and Warwick. That sucks because it limits my options down to just those two schools :frown:

I have a question though, but I think I already know the answer, will the GAMSAT March test be taken into consideration for students wanting to start in the same year? I don't think that is the case because for Nottingham at least it states that you needed to have taken the test before you apply. Any advice on this would be great!
Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BillMurray

I'm thinking of studying GEM in 2019. My academic background is a bit odd and not science related at all really, except for my MSc. I have a BA International Relations degree (first class) and a conversion MSc in Computer Science (Merit). I also have worked with young adults with Autism for about three years in a residential care home setting, currently working for the National Autistic Society. Literally no GCSE or A-Level qualifications graded above D so I can only apply to the four universities that don't take them into consideration.

Unfortunately, given that I don't feel I'll be able to prepare for both the UKCAT and the GAMSAT in time, I'll just have to revise for the UKCAT final test in October, but this means I can only apply to Newcastle and Warwick. That sucks because it limits my options down to just those two schools :frown:

I have a question though, but I think I already know the answer, will the GAMSAT March test be taken into consideration for students wanting to start in the same year? I don't think that is the case because for Nottingham at least it states that you needed to have taken the test before you apply. Any advice on this would be great!
Thanks!

If you want to apply for entry in 2019 (therefore would be applying in October 2018) you have to have taken the GAMSAT by September 2018 at the latest to be able to apply to GAMSAT unis. The March 2019 GAMSAT would be too late, unfortunately! Best of luck :smile:
Reply 198
This forum will get lit up in summer for sure. I am just making my comment here so as to keep up to date :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by BillMurray

Thanks!

Very new to GEM so please excuse my ignorance, but do you need to provide GCSE or a-Level grades when applying for GEM? (Is it not just your undergrad degree transcripts etc.?). And would this be the same for an EU-applicant, would they have to provide grades from GCSE and A-Level equivalent qualifications?

Also, would you consider the BMAT?

Latest

Trending

Trending