Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2019 Entry Watch

High Kingdom
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by athea98)
Hey, just wanted to clarify- would you be sitting the GAMSAT in march 2018 for entry in 2019?
Yep, it covers 2019 and 2020 entry I believe
Chez231
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys ,
Just a heads up , Medic portal have a seminar this November on Graduate entry medicine , it’s free! (:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
londongirl1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,
I’m also hoping to apply for graduate entry in 2019. I’ve wanted to study medicine for as long as I can remember but didn’t get the grades I’d need to get in, so ended up studying German and Spanish at Exeter.

Am hoping to sit the GAMSAT in March but more as a trial run and am prepared to have to retake it in September. I’m just starting to prepare for it and trying to stop myself from feeling overwhelmed but it’s hard to know where to start.

Kat
ninalicious97
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone,
I'm applying for medicine in 2019 as well. I finished my first year in biomedical science with a 1st, so hoping to keep that up. Planning on taking GAMSAT in March, then in September if needed. I'll also be taking the UKCAT in August or September. I haven't started revision yet, I'm starting UKCAT slowly next week and also learn A level physics as I didn't do it for A levels. My A Levels aren't the strongest so I'll be applying to uni's that don't consider your A Levels.
JoeL_97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I'm hopefully going in for medicine in 2019, I've only just started revision for the GAMSAT and UKCAT so I'm not quite there yet! I'm just starting my second year in Human Biosciences at Coventry and on track for a 1st so hopefully that should negate my pretty poor A-levels, my GCSEs are strictly average too.
Also, I'll be giving Oxford medical school a shot! (Don't know how much of a chance I stand, but hey, worth a try! :P )
feyi123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone!

I too am applying for medicine for 2019 entry. I am currently in my second year of Biomedical Science at Bradford University and finished with an overall first in year 1. I got pretty good GCSEs, with 5 A*s, 2 As and 3 Bs, but my A-Levels really let me down with BBC (Biology, English Literature and Chemistry), and a D at AS Maths. The dream was to go straight into undergrad Medicine, but as you can see by my A-Levels, this wasn't possible. In the past I have done work experience at hospitals and with children with cerebral palsy, and hopefully should be starting a 6 month voluntary role at the hospital near my university, in Oncology and Haematology.

For the time being I am keeping my options open with which university I apply to, but my dream university is Kings College. I am also thinking of Warwick, Southampton, Newcastle, QMUL and Nottingham. I'm doing the GAMSAT and UKCAT, slowly revising them now but starting rigorously after my Semester 1 exams in the New Year. I haven't decided whether to the GAMSAT in March or September, as if I do it in March, it clashes with uni work, but in September, it clashes with UKCAT.

Joe2Jonas
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys

I will hopefully be applying to GEM in 2019 literally next summer we will all be stressing over personal statement, admission test, work experience and what not! But its so reassuring that we are all in the same boat and I hope we all get in
My stats are currently studying Medical Science degree in second year. I got 1 A* 7 A 2 B at GCSE and BCD at A level (Maths, Biology and Chemistry) with a C in History AS level. I would like to come out with a 2:1 in my degree at least. My work experience has been ICU for one week shadowing doctor, HCA in Respiratory and got lined up in Easter shadowing a doctor (don't know which department yet...)
I have sat the GAMSAT in March 2017 with an overall score of 49 (46,62,44) and have resat it again in September 2017 however due to my serve procrastination and lack of preparation as always I know I have to resit it in March 2018 so need to prepare for that. I would love to go anywhere that accepts me :flybye: However, I know I got to apply to places where I would have a higher chance of getting an interview/offers as you all know for yourself. Is everyone shocked how quickly time is going that we are applying to medicine soon?
TomWalesRoberts
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all,

Also applying to GEM 2019 and am currently doing some work experience at my local hospital. I'm a teacher at the minute so will be a big career change! I've sat the GAMSAT before when I was applying after my degree (before I gave up and became a teacher). I've had a massive change of heart this summer so thought id stay teaching for now and do some work experience and am loving it. Shame it took me a few years to decide to get back to it.

I will be doing GAMSAT in march and then the UKCAt next year (not hopeful with the UKCAT becasue I was never very good at it.
Joe2Jonas
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TomWalesRoberts)
Hi all,

Also applying to GEM 2019 and am currently doing some work experience at my local hospital. I'm a teacher at the minute so will be a big career change! I've sat the GAMSAT before when I was applying after my degree (before I gave up and became a teacher). I've had a massive change of heart this summer so thought id stay teaching for now and do some work experience and am loving it. Shame it took me a few years to decide to get back to it.

I will be doing GAMSAT in march and then the UKCAt next year (not hopeful with the UKCAT becasue I was never very good at it.
Hey Tom weird thought but if you are based in Wales would love to do a GAMSAT group revision for people in Wales!
TomWalesRoberts
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joe2Jonas)
Hey Tom weird thought but if you are based in Wales would love to do a GAMSAT group revision for people in Wales!
Sadly I’m not based in wales anymore as I moved when I did my degree. However any help with GAMSAT is warmly received. I did it before but that was a while ago now so I’m probably quite rusty.
alisapushkin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I was wondering what everyone thinks about applying to a mixture of undergrad 5 year programmes which seem to be slightly less competitive, and the GEMs. I would much prefer the latter but am wondering if my chances of getting in will be greater if I apply to a mixture? My problem with this is that it would mean i have to do chemistry a level now to apply for those degrees, which is difficult as I live abroad and would have to keep coming back to take the practical elements. Do people think it's worth it?
Chez231
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alisapushkin)
Hey, I was wondering what everyone thinks about applying to a mixture of undergrad 5 year programmes which seem to be slightly less competitive, and the GEMs. I would much prefer the latter but am wondering if my chances of getting in will be greater if I apply to a mixture? My problem with this is that it would mean i have to do chemistry a level now to apply for those degrees, which is difficult as I live abroad and would have to keep coming back to take the practical elements. Do people think it's worth it?
When applying for the 5 year A100 undergrad , some unis will look at your degree and see if it is has a elements of Biochem in it equivalent to A level. Some unis will discriminate on both the degree and the A levels achieved.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you afford the 5 year programmes?
alisapushkin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Can you afford the 5 year programmes?
What is the difference in cost for both? Is the 5 year one not funded by NHS/student finance in the same way? I've only started thinking about all this very recently so i don't know a lot of the details!
Chez231
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is the difference in cost for both? Is the 5 year one not funded by NHS/student finance in the same way? I've only started thinking about all this very recently so i don't know a lot of the details!

“Graduate medical students on standard medical courses rarely receive any financial support and this will be one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. In years 1-4 students pay the full tuition fees (no tuition fee loan) although a full maintenance loan (income assessed) is available. There is some help available for eligible students from year 5, and this includes tuition fees paid by the NHS, a means tested NHS bursary, a reduced rate maintenance loan and a non means tested grant of £1,000. Apart from meeting the tuition fees you will also need to meet your living costs throughout your training, and this may be a factor when deciding where to study.”
alisapushkin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chez231)
“Graduate medical students on standard medical courses rarely receive any financial support and this will be one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. In years 1-4 students pay the full tuition fees (no tuition fee loan) although a full maintenance loan (income assessed) is available. There is some help available for eligible students from year 5, and this includes tuition fees paid by the NHS, a means tested NHS bursary, a reduced rate maintenance loan and a non means tested grant of £1,000. Apart from meeting the tuition fees you will also need to meet your living costs throughout your training, and this may be a factor when deciding where to study.”
I see ok thank you for that. So am I right in saying the graduate entry programmes are funded with maintenance loans except for the first year when you need to pay about £3000?
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see ok thank you for that. So am I right in saying the graduate entry programmes are funded with maintenance loans except for the first year when you need to pay about £3000?
GEM tuition is paid by SFE and the NHS bursary and you also get a maintenance loan. However, you have to pay £3,465 in your first year. Not all in one go though.
Snowdrops99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Ella,

I am very interested in the gradmed gamsat material. Do you have this available?
Thanks

(Original post by EllaLauren1988)
Hi,

I have a large amount of GAMSAT resources, that I am looking to sell to someone to make use of. I have the full GRADMED course (cost around £2500), OXIMED tests, a selection of other tests, mini booklets and an MCAT book complete with CD.

I am open to offers and am happy to sell as a package or separately. I live in London, however I can post but due to the weight this will cost a large amount. Please get in contact if you are serious. You can email me on ewadejonesATyahoo.co.uk

Thanks, Ella
Chez231
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it worth applying to one BMAT/ Gamsat uni , I was planning on applying to four UKCAT unis - Newcastle A100 and A101 , Warwick and Kings, but I may replace Newcastle A101 with a BMAT/Gamsat uni maybe UCL 🤔
a-spiringmedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey! im in my first year of biomed so im assuming I will be starting in 2020? however was wondering if i could apply for medicine this october and defer the entry so i start in 2020? would that be allowed aha, if anything i'd do it for the experience of applying so if i do fail to get in i could go through it again in my third year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%