Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2019 Entry Watch

Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by a-spiringmedic)
hey! im in my first year of biomed so im assuming I will be starting in 2020? however was wondering if i could apply for medicine this october and defer the entry so i start in 2020? would that be allowed aha, if anything i'd do it for the experience of applying so if i do fail to get in i could go through it again in my third year.
Almost every single GEM programme won't allow you to defer and those that do usually only do so if you have a very valid reason. Also, many medical schools state that they will only accept applicants who are in their final year of study whilst some others only accept people who have graduated. Just focus on your course and work experience etc for now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
a-spiringmedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Almost every single GEM programme won't allow you to defer and those that do usually only do so if you have a very valid reason. Also, many medical schools state that they will only accept applicants who are in their final year of study whilst some others only accept people who have graduated. Just focus on your course and work experience etc for now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
thanks for the advice, i do have another question if thats okay (about undergrad med (school leavers one)
my a-levels compared to the undergrad req. do not match up but will universities disregard them for graduates? especially if they are doing a course allied to medicine
many thanks for your help & if you are applying for gem/ug med then goodluck! i hope you get in
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks for the advice, i do have another question if thats okay (about undergrad med (school leavers one)
my a-levels compared to the undergrad req. do not match up but will universities disregard them for graduates? especially if they are doing a course allied to medicine
many thanks for your help & if you are applying for gem/ug med then goodluck! i hope you get in
You'll have to look at each university you're interested in. They'll probably all be different.

Thank you, you too!
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dear Students,

Often you may be asked about how to save money in the NHS.

Here is a free graphic which tells you things you can talk about.

Attachment 712558

If you need any help for the interview, we have a very affordable course for £30 which covers all the possible scenarios you will face in your interview and will help you build model answers - Recommended by lots of students on TSR (Ask them yourself!)

Try some of our free videos beforehand on YouTube: www.youtube.com/medicmind

Regards,
Mohil
Medic Mind
Best UK Medical Start Up 2017
www.medicmind.co.uk/interview
Tolstoy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys!

I'm Harry. I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Theoretical Physics, and after doing a bit of a masters I realised that my old passion of medicine was where I really wanted to go, so am taking a gap year to get the extra experience for the september application.

How is everyone else spending the start of 2018?
Snxn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
GEM tuition is paid by SFE and the NHS bursary and you also get a maintenance loan. However, you have to pay £3,465 in your first year. Not all in one go though.
Wait so sfe pays for your graduate entry? Are sure about this?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Snxn)
Apart from the first £3.5k, SFE and the NHS bursary pay for the rest plus you get a maintenance loan. Look it up if you don't believe me
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Snxn)
Yes, for the four year courses.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
liddyparky97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone!

Thought I'd join this discussion because I will be applying for 2019 entry into GEM.
I am a second year Cellular and Molecular Medicine student at the University of Bristol.
I achieved AAB at A-level.

As for work experience, so far I have done approximately 60 hours volunteering at my local hospice and have spent a week shadowing an oncologist and watching various surgeries.
Over Easter I am going to be shadowing a pathologist, so I'm really excited!

My dream medical school is Warwick, but I'll just be happy with anyone that takes me haha! I think I'll be applying to all UKCAT unis.
Wishing everyone the best of luck with their application, we can do this!
Dr Otter
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone! Joining now as I'm over-preparing like the rest of you

Got my PhD in neuroscience and currently working in a neurosurgery ward but decided to go back and become an eternal student.
Going for the BMAT and UKCAT and planning to apply for Oxford, Cambridge, Newcastle and QM.

Good luck everyone!
Gus1111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone! I’m applying for graduate medicine in 2019 but starting to get concerned about work experience... how much is required? I’m hoping I’ll get a place volunteering in a care home in the next month which gives me 10 months to volunteer before the UCAS deadline. Is this enough? Will a care home volunteering role suffice? Or is shadowing mandatory? I did shadowing when I applied for medicine first time round but I didn’t find it overly useful, hence I’m seeking a more hands on volunteering role.

I’ll only be applying to UKCAT universities as unable to afford the GAMSAT (Warwick, Newcastle, Southampton, King’s, Barts). I got an average of 80% in my first year
Thanks guys! Stressing
puddleduck
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone! I'm currently in my first year of GEM at Nottingham- let me know if you have any questions
a-spiringmedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by puddleduck)
Hi everyone! I'm currently in my first year of GEM at Nottingham- let me know if you have any questions
hello! i'd love to know your a-level stats, and what you got in your degree? notts is somewhere i'm seriously considering, if you don't want to say please feel free to ignore my message! also what did you study & where?
thanks a ton
Joe2Jonas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What was your GAMSAT score? Is it true if you haven't completed your degree then you have to get GAMSAT score which is the same as 2:2. Also what work experience did you do? I was wondering how Nottingham work experience go about??
puddleduck
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello! i'd love to know your a-level stats, and what you got in your degree? notts is somewhere i'm seriously considering, if you don't want to say please feel free to ignore my message! also what did you study & where?
thanks a ton
(Original post by Joe2Jonas)
What was your GAMSAT score? Is it true if you haven't completed your degree then you have to get GAMSAT score which is the same as 2:2. Also what work experience did you do? I was wondering how Nottingham work experience go about??
My GAMSAT score was 75, but please don't let that scare you! For the GAMSAT unis, getting an interview is a tick-box exercise. All you need is a degree over the minimum, a GAMSAT over the minimum, and work experience. At the end of the day, someone who does brilliantly has no advantage over someone who doesn't once they both get to interview.

I have a 2.2 from QMUL for a BSc in biology and a merit from QMUL for an MSc in forensic medical science. I volunteered in a hospital, did some filing for a local GP practice, and tutored kids with learning difficulties.

My A levels were ABBB in biology, chemistry, maths and philosophy, but I'm pretty sure the GAMSAT unis at least don't look at them at all.

Hope that helps!
Joe2Jonas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My GAMSAT score was 75, but please don't let that scare you! For the GAMSAT unis, getting an interview is a tick-box exercise. All you need is a degree over the minimum, a GAMSAT over the minimum, and work experience. At the end of the day, someone who does brilliantly has no advantage over someone who doesn't once they both get to interview.

I have a 2.2 from QMUL for a BSc in biology and a merit from QMUL for an MSc in forensic medical science. I volunteered in a hospital, did some filing for a local GP practice, and tutored kids with learning difficulties.

My A levels were ABBB in biology, chemistry, maths and philosophy, but I'm pretty sure the GAMSAT unis at least don't look at them at all.

Hope that helps!
Oh my god your GAMSAT score is just a dream score? What sections did you focus on the most? Any tips in order to help the improvement?
As I have sat it twice now with first score of 49 in March 2017 and 54 in September 2017. I am in my second year of University hence why I feel like my degree is important and therefore won't be sitting it in March 2018 but instead September 2018. So I am risking it with the application process...
No Nottingham doesn't look at A level however Liverpool does to my knowledge want 3 Bs (including it in Biology and Chemistry..)
puddleduck
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joe2Jonas)
Oh my god your GAMSAT score is just a dream score? What sections did you focus on the most? Any tips in order to help the improvement?
As I have sat it twice now with first score of 49 in March 2017 and 54 in September 2017. I am in my second year of University hence why I feel like my degree is important and therefore won't be sitting it in March 2018 but instead September 2018. So I am risking it with the application process...
No Nottingham doesn't look at A level however Liverpool does to my knowledge want 3 Bs (including it in Biology and Chemistry..)
I tutored for years and found practicing comprehension papers (at the 11 plus and 13 plus levels particularly) to be really useful (if a little bit patronising :P ). Bond and CGP do some fab multiple choice past papers- try to do them in say 3/4 of the time it would give an 11 yo and it's actually good practice for S1.

For S2, work out an essay structure that works for you, and then practice. Use varied punctuation, use hyperbole, similes, metaphor, quote people, ask rhetorical questions... and make sure your content is directly answering the question.

S3..... bleh. If you're time pressured and have A Level science level sorted, then focus most of your energy on data interpretation! Seriously. Make sure you are comfortable with all sorts of graphs and figures, and how to extrapolate key information from paragraphs of sciencey rambling. If you have time, then obviously make sure you revise the actual science!

Most importantly, do NOT compare yourself to me, or anyone else! It's rule number one of GEM. Everyone has different experiences, everyone has different strengths. I got a great GAMSAT result, sure, but I got a 2.2 in my first degree. Some people scraped by GAMSAT and got a 1st. Some people scraped through both, some people did fantastically at both. We all had a clean slate going into interview. So breathe, and do your best.

Remember, all my views are my own, I only have my own experiences to go on, and this is the internet so you have no proof at all that I am who I say I am :P

Feel free to ask any more questions, I'm procrastinating revising for exams! :P
gboateng1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, this is vaguely related, but when do we begin to apply for graduate entry medicine, i am currently in second year of university.
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gboateng1)
Hey, this is vaguely related, but when do we begin to apply for graduate entry medicine, i am currently in second year of university.
Assuming you want to start straight after your degree, you'd apply this September/October, so the beginning of your 3rd year

But some medical schools may only accept people who have completed their degree or may have different requirements for those who haven't finished yet (for example GAMSAT score).

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Joe2Jonas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Assuming you want to start straight after your degree, you'd apply this September/October, so the beginning of your 3rd year

But some medical schools may only accept people who have completed their degree or may have different requirements for those who haven't finished yet (for example GAMSAT score).

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Which unis want you to complete your degree? I have no idea even though I done the research is it Queen Mary and Nottingham?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%