The Student Room Group
Neither, it depends on the individual. I would say its hard for either being from minority groups...
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't think either are as hard as they used to be considering happily attitudes for the most part seem to have progressed.
Probably being a gay man has always been the hardest due to the stigma anyway and also the fact that lesbianism was never actually illegal just frowned upon whereas you could be imprisoned as a gay man.
Even in Nazi Germany apparently the majority of pink triangle prisoners were men.
It does seem to be easier for girls from what i have observed as nobody really bats an eyelid if girls sit on other girls knees or even kiss them but a boy would be ridiculed in a high school.
Dont really see why it matters that much though tbh, noone should have to have a hard time for something like that
Original post by Rhythmical
There are a number of factors it could be difficult being gay/lesbian. Culture has a lot to do with it, especially if you come from minority groups who find homosexuality absolutely disgusting and wrong, as well as religion, where certain religions are against homosexuality and would stop at nothing to ruin the lives of those who aren't straight.

I can't tell what the title is asking.

Is it asking what you're saying or is it asking whether it is easier to be gay or than easier to be a lesbian?
Original post by angelike1

Is it asking what you're saying or is it asking whether it is easier to be gay or than easier to be a lesbian?

I read it wrong, edited my post, title wasn't very clear to be honest.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think either are as hard as they used to be considering happily attitudes for the most part seem to have progressed.
Probably being a gay man has always been the hardest due to the stigma anyway and also the fact that lesbianism was never actually illegal just frowned upon whereas you could be imprisoned as a gay man.
Even in Nazi Germany apparently the majority of pink triangle prisoners were men.
It does seem to be easier for girls from what i have observed as nobody really bats an eyelid if girls sit on other girls knees or even kiss them but a boy would be ridiculed in a high school.
Dont really see why it matters that much though tbh, noone should have to have a hard time for something like that

I agree, things like 'corrective' rape happens to lesbians, whilst gays are just killed. Also lesbians are less 'obvious' because many may see lesbian couples as just freinds.
Reply 6

meh, depends how you read it.
From a social aspect, I think lesbians have it easier as there's less of a stigma against it but obviously still hard overall.
Reply 8
Original post by angelike1

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

Yeah I deleted mine.
Reply 10
Writing as a gay man, I'd say gay men have it harder from society, gay women have it hard also, men are currently being chucked into concentration camps in Chechnya and imprisoned in Russia for loving the same sex. In a world also where most bullies are straight men with such masculinity issues, gay women are often fetishized for the pleasure of a man, and gay men are assaulted and insulted. So all in all it's hard for all LGBT members but the men get a lot more stick.
Gay men love everyone, lesbians hate men so ill say the dikes

Spoiler

Reply 12
both. you need a dick and a vagina. this is why straight is the way to go :smile:
I think that society in general up until recently was less critical of lesbians than gay men, and even today most homophonic comments seem to be at gay men.
Original post by f_k123
both. you need a dick and a vagina. this is why straight is the way to go :smile:

there's always one..
For me I am a female gay I dont ever say that i am a lesbian as i have been called a lezza, dyke and a p**** lover. So many times I have told a female friend that I am gay and they jump straight to the conclusion that I am hitting on them.i also get lots of boys making remarks at me (I'm at secondary school) I'm not saying gay guys dont get it hard but at my school everyone wants to be the gay guys friend (oh look its ....... my gay best friend) is a common remark made at my school but no one ever says that about the gay girls we just get judged so much more

No offence meant in any part of this comment

Latest