The Student Room Group

Can you get the Education section on UCAS wrong?

I am currently filling in the education section for UCAS and it seems pretty hard to get all the rerquired information. I'm applying as a mature student and filling in all the modules from my my A levels, and even worse all the GCSE's I did like 5 years ago is hard to get 100% accurtae. For example I can't remember If I took Biology A or Biology B, or took a certain exam in June or January... Lacking certain certificates and my old school not helping much, leads to me feeling this section could hold me back for my application. If get a certain grade or exam board wrong would I get penalized for 'lying' in my application,or would they simply ask for a certificate when I get inteviewed?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
do you not have a record of achievement?
Reply 2
Original post by Harry343
I am currently filling in the education section for UCAS and it seems pretty hard to get all the rerquired information. I'm applying as a mature student and filling in all the modules from my my A levels, and even worse all the GCSE's I did like 5 years ago is hard to get 100% accurtae. For example I can't remember If I took Biology A or Biology B, or took a certain exam in June or January... Lacking certain certificates and my old school not helping much, leads to me feeling this section could hold me back for my application. If get a certain grade or exam board wrong would I get penalized for 'lying' in my application,or would they simply ask for a certificate when I get inteviewed?

You're highly unlikely to be interviewed for an undergrad place, but if you get a place you will have to present your certificates when you enrol at the start of your course. If they don't match what you put in your application, the uni is within its rights to withdraw your offer and prevent you from enroling even at that late stage.

Your best bet is to get duplicate certificates from your exam board(s) and be absolutely sure that you're not submitting incorrect info. The difference between an A and a B will be critical for some unis.
Reply 3
Original post by Hayyz91
do you not have a record of achievement?

Not all of them :/

You really need to try to get this section as accurate as you can. There's a difference between constructively lying and making a genuine mistake, but I think you need to make every effort to identify exactly what the exams are, when they were taken etc.

Yes, at registration for Uni you will be required to produce all certificates. If you don't have the originals, now is a good time to get a certified statement of results from the exam board(s). Exam boards do not issue replacement certificates for public examinations apart from in a very limited set of circumstances (basically, transgender students).
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
You're highly unlikely to be interviewed for an undergrad place, but if you get a place you will have to present your certificates when you enrol at the start of your course. If they don't match what you put in your application, the uni is within its rights to withdraw your offer and prevent you from enroling even at that late stage.

Your best bet is to get duplicate certificates from your exam board(s) and be absolutely sure that you're not submitting incorrect info. The difference between an A and a B will be critical for some unis.

Ah ok, If I'm not 100% sure should I just leave a certain grade out? For example I got a D in ICT but can't remember what board It was from. In the entry requirements for my course I need specifically Maths and English, and of course the required A levels. Do grades like ICT or PE not matter as much if they are not in the entry requirements?
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
You really need to try to get this section as accurate as you can. There's a difference between constructively lying and making a genuine mistake, but I think you need to make every effort to identify exactly what the exams are, when they were taken etc.

Yes, at registration for Uni you will be required to produce all certificates. If you don't have the originals, now is a good time to get a certified statement of results from the exam board(s). Exam boards do not issue replacement certificates for public examinations apart from in a very limited set of circumstances (basically, transgender students).

How would I go about getting these certified statements of results?
How would I go about getting these certified statements of results?

If you contact the exam boards (you might well have to contact more than one) they can help you:

For AQA see here
For Edexcel, see here

You might also have OCR.

It's £43 a throw - quite a lot, but you do need them. Your school's examinations officer should be able to confirm which board you did your exams with.
Ah ok, If I'm not 100% sure should I just leave a certain grade out? For example I got a D in ICT but can't remember what board It was from. In the entry requirements for my course I need specifically Maths and English, and of course the required A levels. Do grades like ICT or PE not matter as much if they are not in the entry requirements?

Contact your old school - they may well still have the records if not the certificates for you. Get it sorted now before they all go on summer holidays.
Reply 9
If you contact the exam boards (you might well have to contact more than one) they can help you:

For AQA see here
For Edexcel, see here

You might also have OCR.

It's £43 a throw - quite a lot, but you do need them. Your school's examinations officer should be able to confirm which board you did your exams with.

£43 for each certificate? If that's the case I will contact the uni beforehand to ask what certificates they need
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Contact your old school - they may well still have the records if not the certificates for you. Get it sorted now before they all go on summer holidays.

Good point actually, records are what I need now more than anything.
£43 for each certificate? If that's the case I will contact the uni beforehand to ask what certificates they need

No, it's £43 for each statement of results, regardless of the number of exams taken at that board. So if you'd done 3 subjects you needed certificating from AQA it would still be £43 for the statement. Still a lot, but could be worse. In any case, I'm afraid you're going to need them.
Reply 12

No, you must give all of your qualifications. You can't edit out the ones which make you look bad I'm afraid.

Be aware that the entry requirements stated on course details won't necessarily apply to mature students. Unis usually want to see proof of recent successful academic study, so if you're more than, say, three years out of school, you may need to do something like a one year Access course before uni. If you haven't already done so, make sure you contact the Admissions Offices of each uni, explain your background and get them to tell you whether you can apply without further study.
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88
No, you must give all of your qualifications. You can't edit out the ones which make you look bad I'm afraid.

Be aware that the entry requirements stated on course details won't necessarily apply to mature students. Unis usually want to see proof of recent successful academic study, so if you're more than, say, three years out of school, you may need to do something like a one year Access course before uni. If you haven't already done so, make sure you contact the Admissions Offices of each uni, explain your background and get them to tell you whether you can apply without further study.

That seems a little stupid. I mean as a mature student you are going late as it is, let alone 'wasting' another' year to do this :/
Reply 14
That seems a little stupid. I mean as a mature student you are going late as it is, let alone 'wasting' another' year to do this :/

It can work for you as well. People's ability to study changes through their life. If you had average/poor results at school, an Access course will give you proof that you're better at academic work then you used to be - it can give you the opportunity to go to better unis and choose from a wider range of courses.
Reply 15
No, it's £43 for each statement of results, regardless of the number of exams taken at that board. So if you'd done 3 subjects you needed certificating from AQA it would still be £43 for the statement. Still a lot, but could be worse. In any case, I'm afraid you're going to need them.

Ok thanks. Is this statement just a list of exams with the date they were taken, and then the grade I achieved then?
Ok thanks. Is this statement just a list of exams with the date they were taken, and then the grade I achieved then?

Essentially yes - the statement will list the exams taken, dates, board, final grades. I don't think it will include UMS.
Reply 17
Essentially yes - the statement will list the exams taken, dates, board, final grades. I don't think it will include UMS.

Ah right. 1 last thing, will I need certificates as well or would this be enough to prove that I have achieved the required grades?
Ah right. 1 last thing, will I need certificates as well or would this be enough to prove that I have achieved the required grades?

No - that's the point of the statement of results: it replaces missing certificates. If you have the statement of results, that's all you'll need for university registration.
Reply 19
No - that's the point of the statement of results: it replaces missing certificates. If you have the statement of results, that's all you'll need for university registration.

That's good news, thanks for youe help. If my school hasn't got any certificates that I left behind I will go for the statement of results.

Quick Reply

Latest